• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

338 Savage 110 owners when and how

diego-ted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Diego-Town
After how many rounds does your barrel copper fowl? What affect on your accuracy does a copper barrel have? How do you remove copper and when do you know it's all gone?

For me I have about 250 rounds down the pipe about 20-25 per session. I have had quite a bit of copper after every session. I use CU+2 to remove the copper and it takes about 20 patches to get most of it. I think I could still get a little blue after 50?

thx Diego

Re: 338 Savage 110 owners when and how

I use CU+2 as well. I did cleaning after ever shot for the first 10. Once ever 2-3 for the next 20. Then 5-10 rounds. The most I've gone now is 20rds, but I'm also only 100rds through it so far.

I don't clean my stuff ALL the time. I will clean it after a long day at the range but if it's still grouping and not showing any weird inconsistencies I don't woory about it too much during a session. Since it's cleaned after my range session I just run one wet patch through it then a couple dry ones before the next time I shoot and call it good. If your picky and wanna clean it, I'd say every 40-50 should be more than enough.

Honestly, I don't worry about it in those terms any more - for any gun, whether its my 110BA .338LM or not.

I soak the bore with Carb-Out followed after a bit with a couple wet patches (soaked with Wipe Out Accelerator) to get the chunky stuff loose, then I run several wet patches of Wipe Out Patch-Out down the barrel and leave it sit while I go do something more interesting - deprime cases for cleaning, load up some other ammo, check my belly button lint, whatever. Usually I'll run a couple more wet patches (Patch-Out again) thru it before bed time, and if I really honestly think its unbelievably dirty, I'll run some more thru in the morning before I head to work (the benefits of having a dedicated/secue reloading/cleaning area I can leave stuff setup). I'll run some dry patches thru when I get home, swab the chamber dry, put some lube on the bolt, and put it away. I do this routine more often than say, my .308s because the gun doesn't get shot as much and spends more time sitting in the safe and needs to be ready to go... but I still probably don't clean any more often than every 50-100rds at the minimum.

Just not that big of a deal for me.

Here is something I found that has worked well for me.
Step 1. Insert Lucas bore guide into receiver and chamber. If you don’t have one stop here and get one, if not, just shoot your rifle and forget trying to take any care of your barrel at all. If you do have one, proceed, and give yourself one “At-A-Boy” for being astute enough to have purchased the proper tools for the job.

Note: One “Aw-Sh*t” wipes out ALL “At-A-Boys”.

Step 2. Run one wet patch of Sweets through the bore and let soak for approximately 30 seconds. Do not patch this out.

Step 3. Next, run the brush through the barrel only enough to expose the entire brush. Yes, I know that you still have 12 more inches of cleaning rod you could push out the end of your barrel but we want to protect that new crown. Also, if that rod hangs out that far, you will eventually start wearing down the rifling at the crown from about 4 to 7 o’clock. This is very bad “JU-JU” for accuracy. OK, back to our next step. Once the brush is exposed, saturate it well with our Speedy Formula or Butch’s Boreshine and SLOWLY run the brush through the barrel 10 complete back and forth passes while keeping the rod as straight as possible. This is when the Lucas bore guide really pays for itself! Remember, the key word is slowly. We are not trying to break any land speed records today. Let this sit a minute or two and proceed to the next step.

Step 4. After you have let the barrel soak for a few moments, saturate a patch with the Speedy Formula or Butch’s Boreshine and pass it through the bore. Follow this with 2 dry patches and then dry the chamber with Brake Kleen or lighter fluid. Next, gently wipe the crown off with a soft cloth and lube your bolt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnhntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is something I found that has worked well for me.
Step 1. Insert Lucas bore guide into receiver and chamber. If you don’t have one stop here and get one, if not, just shoot your rifle and forget trying to take any care of your barrel at all. If you do have one, proceed, and give yourself one “At-A-Boy” for being astute enough to have purchased the proper tools for the job.

Step 2. Run one wet patch of Sweets through the bore and let soak for approximately 30 seconds. Do not patch this out.

Step 3. Next, run the brush through the barrel only enough to expose the entire brush. Yes, I know that you still have 12 more inches of cleaning rod you could push out the end of your barrel but we want to protect that new crown. Also, if that rod hangs out that far, you will eventually start wearing down the rifling at the crown from about 4 to 7 o’clock. This is very bad “JU-JU” for accuracy. OK, back to our next step. Once the brush is exposed, saturate it well with our Speedy Formula or Butch’s Boreshine and SLOWLY run the brush through the barrel 10 complete back and forth passes while keeping the rod as straight as possible. This is when the Lucas bore guide really pays for itself! Remember, the key word is slowly. We are not trying to break any land speed records today. Let this sit a minute or two and proceed to the next step.

Step 4. After you have let the barrel soak for a few moments, saturate a patch with the Speedy Formula or Butch’s Boreshine and pass it through the bore. Follow this with 2 dry patches and then dry the chamber with Brake Kleen or lighter fluid. Next, gently wipe the crown off with a soft cloth and lube your bolt</div></div>

Not to beat a dead horse... but you see extremely confident in your method. Can someone explain how a cheap aluminum rod with no bore guide will mess up you barrel. I'm in biomedical engineering and not materials engineering, so maybe someone can enlighten me on this(take 50% of the same classes btw). So you(not directed just at you, but rather everyone) say that SOFT aluminum will scratch/damage HARD steel that
1. Withstands 50,000+ PSI of pressure.
2. Has another metal routinely rubbing up against it at a speed of 2500+ FPS.
Note:The combination of just those two , are enough to heat the barrel, sometimes to the point of mirage coming off it. You to do that with a cheap rod.

3. Has a hardness ratings leaps and bounds above the aluminum.
If you see any markings on the barrel after it would be the aluminum scratching off onto the barrel and not the barrel. You don't believe me or the theory behind it? Go ahead and spend as long as you want scratching your glass table with your fingernail. Go at it as hard as you can, get back to me after you've lost half your nail but haven't left so much of a scratch in the glass.

4. Is subjected to a brass or steel brush anyways! Just because the brush spins doesn't mean it isn't touching the bore. It would have the same effects of dragging any kind of buildup/soot/grit.

Those are just 4 points that I can think of off the top of my head. The only answer Ive ever heard to a question like this about the aluminum rod being softer, is to not under estimate aluminum and that sandpaper is made of it. This is completely off base. The aluminum on the rod is completely different than the aluminum oxide used for sandpaper. Just because they both have the same word in them doesn't make them identical or even share any properties. For example, diamond and graphite are made out of the EXACT same material(carbon). The only difference is the linkage of the carbon atoms, and that is responsible for making them vastly different.

To be clear, I am not trying to be a smart ass in this post. Obviously ALOT of people buy into the non-aluminum rod + bore guide method. I fully understand I may be missing a huge part of the equation, and I am posting this in hope's that someone point it out then...

Lastly the whole "Ive looked through 1000's of bore's and damaged ones are always the newbies that don't use the right tools" isn't a valid argument. You don't ever know the full story, and being that they are 'ignorant' to the 'right' cleaning methods that could mean they are also just very ignorant to many other things that really CAN damage the bore. For example, Shooting 50 shots in a row overheating and damaging the barrel or cleaning once every 2000 rounds and not even using solvent, and other mistakes like that. That's why there's a famous saying of 'correlation doesn't imply causation'.

I know there are ALOT of smart people on here, so hopefully someone can present a valid proof/point.

I usually clean after shooting. I use a foam bore cleaner (Gunslick), a Sinclair bore guide (did not want to wait for a Lucas), and cotton patches. I don't use brushes on my Sav .338lm.

I started using foam cleaner over 2 years ago on other guns. It seems to work well and has not compromised accuracy.

On the Sav 338 I don't seem to have much trouble with copper. The blue comes out after about 4 or 5 patches. I do clean the muzzle brake before final cleaning of the bore and chamber. If I clean the muzzle break first, it does not take as many patches to clean the bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patriot Prepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually clean after shooting. I use a foam bore cleaner (Gunslick), a Sinclair bore guide (did not want to wait for a Lucas), and cotton patches. I don't use brushes on my Sav .338lm.

I started using foam cleaner over 2 years ago on other guns. It seems to work well and has not compromised accuracy.

On the Sav 338 I don't seem to have much trouble with copper. The blue comes out after about 4 or 5 patches. I do clean the muzzle brake before final cleaning of the bore and chamber. If I clean the muzzle break first, it does not take as many patches to clean the bore. </div></div>

WoW, like I said I could still get some blue after 40 or so patches. How do you clean the MB do you just soak it in foam? I don't use brushes either, not sure why other then a respected shooter told me not to and his reasoning made sence.

Diego

Diego

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patriot Prepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually clean after shooting. I use a foam bore cleaner (Gunslick), a Sinclair bore guide (did not want to wait for a Lucas), and cotton patches. I don't use brushes on my Sav .338lm.

On the Sav 338 I don't seem to have much trouble with copper. The blue comes out after about 4 or 5 patches. I do clean the muzzle brake before final cleaning of the bore and chamber. If I clean the muzzle break first, it does not take as many patches to clean the bore. </div></div>

WoW, like I said I could still get some blue after 40 or so patches. How do you clean the MB do you just soak it in foam? I don't use brushes either, not sure why other then a respected shooter told me not to and his reasoning made sence.

Diego

Diego </div></div>

Hey Diego, I really do not have a method to my madness. I usually spray the foam down the bore and a lot of it comes out the muzzle. I let it sit 20 - 30 minutes. Then I push a few patches to get the majority of the foam out of the barrel.

At that point the muzzle brake has foam all over it. I use patches, quetips, paper towel, rags, etc and just clean the brake. Kind of hard to explain. But sometimes, depending on how dirty it it, I will use some cleaner and a pistol rod with a patch and go into all the crevices.

I try to get the brake clean. I also clean the chamber lightly. Then I put more patches down the barrel. The copper comes out pretty easy. I think if you don't clean the muzzle brake, you are just pushing the rod through the collect junk that seems to settle in the brake.

Sorry if this is not a good explanation.

works for me! I just want to make sure copper fouling is not affecting my accuracy. I have no problems cleaning the regular carbon build up.

Diego

I am no metallurgist, I just know that when the mechanics I know all use Snap-On tools there is a reason. When the shooter's who routinely win long range shoots clean their rifle's in a certain manor there is a reason. I cannot tell why you should clean your rifle with or without a bore guide and carbon fiber rod. I just know it is what I am doing.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnhntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is something I found that has worked well for me.

Step 4. After you have let the barrel soak for a few moments, saturate a patch with the Speedy Formula or Butch’s Boreshine and pass it through the bore. Follow this with 2 dry patches and then dry the chamber with Brake Kleen or lighter fluid. Next, gently wipe the crown off with a soft cloth and lube your bolt</div></div>

Not to beat a dead horse... but you see extremely confident in your method. Can someone explain how a cheap aluminum rod with no bore guide will mess up you barrel. I'm in biomedical engineering and not materials engineering, so maybe someone can enlighten me on this(take 50% of the same classes btw). So you(not directed just at you, but rather everyone) say that SOFT aluminum will scratch/damage HARD steel that
1. Withstands 50,000+ PSI of pressure.
2. Has another metal routinely rubbing up against it at a speed of 2500+ FPS.
Note:The combination of just those two , are enough to heat the barrel, sometimes to the point of mirage coming off it. You to do that with a cheap rod.

3. Has a hardness ratings leaps and bounds above the aluminum.
If you see any markings on the barrel after it would be the aluminum scratching off onto the barrel and not the barrel. You don't believe me or the theory behind it? Go ahead and spend as long as you want scratching your glass table with your fingernail. Go at it as hard as you can, get back to me after you've lost half your nail but haven't left so much of a scratch in the glass.

4. Is subjected to a brass or steel brush anyways! Just because the brush spins doesn't mean it isn't touching the bore. It would have the same effects of dragging any kind of buildup/soot/grit.

Those are just 4 points that I can think of off the top of my head. The only answer Ive ever heard to a question like this about the aluminum rod being softer, is to not under estimate aluminum and that sandpaper is made of it. This is completely off base. The aluminum on the rod is completely different than the aluminum oxide used for sandpaper. Just because they both have the same word in them doesn't make them identical or even share any properties. For example, diamond and graphite are made out of the EXACT same material(carbon). The only difference is the linkage of the carbon atoms, and that is responsible for making them vastly different.

To be clear, I am not trying to be a smart ass in this post. Obviously ALOT of people buy into the non-aluminum rod + bore guide method. I fully understand I may be missing a huge part of the equation, and I am posting this in hope's that someone point it out then...

Lastly the whole "Ive looked through 1000's of bore's and damaged ones are always the newbies that don't use the right tools" isn't a valid argument. You don't ever know the full story, and being that they are 'ignorant' to the 'right' cleaning methods that could mean they are also just very ignorant to many other things that really CAN damage the bore. For example, Shooting 50 shots in a row overheating and damaging the barrel or cleaning once every 2000 rounds and not even using solvent, and other mistakes like that. That's why there's a famous saying of 'correlation doesn't imply causation'.

I know there are ALOT of smart people on here, so hopefully someone can present a valid proof/point.
</div></div>

I just hit it with a bore snake unless I'm over 50 rounds in a day. Copper is not bad in mine... probably 200rnds gets a hell of a clean. Still shoots where I point it dirty or not though
smile.gif

Time to kill ducks and deer not paper!

Only have about 200 rounds through mine, and just cleaned it after 75 or so rounds, and 3 or 4 patches got the blue out. And I use the foam method Patriot was talking about