• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes 338 Scope Selection Help

New338

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2012
Dallas, TX
Please help with your expertise? I am building a 338 Lapua Magnum and would like some help with scope selection. I intend to use the rifle for long range target shooting (up to 1 mile) and some long range Elk hunting in Colorado and New Mexico. I would like to have a lot of elevation and windage adjustment and would prefer to keep the budget below $1500, but might be nudeged to go higher. I am in my 50's and need a little help with magnification. Previously owned a Nightforce 5.5x22x50. There are so many scopes out there I thought I would ask the folks using the scopes their opinions. Thanks in advance for your input!

Re: 338 Scope Selection Help

pretty tough to beat Nightforce!

Thats my first choice
Second would be a Vortex PST just based on price and amount it would actually be used!...

The pst is a nice scope but for those ranges it doesn't have enough elevation. For that price range I would stick with nightforce or a razor but both these scope are over 1500 the bushnell is very nice but I think it's still shy on elevation for those long 1 mile shots. But if u keep ur eye out you can get some real nice used optics on here

The NF 5-22 is a good compromise and should easily get to a mile. My preference is the 3-15 NF f1 because it has more elevation and ffp.

Yea,
I'm leaning toward the FFP myself. Being able to range at any magnification is appealing!

With a 3-15 NF f1 and MLR 2.0 ( 32 mils adj, and 4 mils hold) you can reach 2500yds.

I have yet to find a more capable set up.

I just took my NIghtForce 3.5-15 of my Barrett 338 LM because I am also looking for a FFP with a higher magnification range. I have not been able to find a quality scope with FFP under 2000. If you find one let me know because at this point I have narrowed it down to either the Schmidt Bender PM II or the new NightForce B.E.A.S.T. (I know stupid name).

Bushnell HDMR or DMR depending on reticle.
3.5-21 FFP, more like 4-21 once you get past the tunneling.

I wish optics engineers would stop designing scopes with tunneling, it's so deceptive. We buy lower power scopes for the wider FOV and once a scope enters the range where tunneling is introduced, the FOV is constant. My S&B PMII 5-25x is really a 7-25x as the FOV is constant from 7x to 5x.

Consequently I don't use it below 7x, or the DMR below 4x.

Joe

What do you think of your PM II? I am having a hard time deciding. I like the reticles on the NF more than S&B. Is also true the PM II only has 64 MOA? Those two are the only reasons why I may choose NF over S&B.

I run a 5.5-22x56 MOAR HS ZS on mine and a few other rifles and 22 power works great. Can easily see splash out to 2000 yards with it. My vote is A Nightforce.

The SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 is priced at 1499.00 and is a FFP. All reviews I have read are grest. I live in Texas so next week I am planning on visting them and taking a look. Will let you know!