• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 subsonic build info

mdonnr

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2012
Nebraska
Looking to build a 338 subsonic. These are the cartridges I have in mind but not in any particular order:

338 Spectre
338 Federal
338 Whisper
338 Krazy Ivan

Reamer - Easy to find for the Federal and LRI has one for the Ivan. I’ll have to order for the other two.

Dies - Federal is easy to find, other three may have to go custom through Whidden for a good set.

Brass - Federal and Spectre can be bought. The other two will involve some labor.

Action - Bighorn Origin for Spectre and Crazy Ivan. I may run the other two on a Badger M2013(already have)

Barrel - Special order

Load info - It’s out there for all four. Not to worried about that.

Suppressor - 9mm or 338 can? Seems people have gone both ways.

I’m just after any info from people that have gone down this road. I’ll most likely use a 16” barrel with I think a 8 twist. This will be for subs only, don’t plan on running any supers.

Thanks

Note:
I have a bolt gun in a 300 Blk so I have somewhat of an idea as to what I’m getting into.

Last edited:
I have a LRI built KraZy Ivan.
Built on a Remington 700 with a 8 twist X-caliber barrel. Quiet with a 9mm can and Hollywood quiet with my Sig 338TI can.
Shooting 300 gr SMK at 1020 FPS.

You should do a “pistol build” with a 11 inch barrel and Pork Sword Chassis ;)

Reactions: hseII
What are you using for dies? How’s the brass forming?
Thanks

My 300 blk is a pistol, this 338 will be a rifle build.

5D85E0EA-29AE-48BE-8D2F-3700D0B1EC95.jpeg

Dies are custom from Chad. He had them in stock.
Not difficult but definitely a little more labor intensive that “average” reloading. Once I had the necks expanded, I sent all the brass out for Annealing, then just neck size with a bushing die.

I’ve been hearing about a 338 blackout/8.6 Creedmoor coming out later this year. Worth looking into

Reactions: Alabusa
I've done quite a few barrels for the Desert tacticals in 338BR which some call the 338 whisper. Its based on the 30 Benchrest which is a shortened 308 case. We use 6mmBR cases made by Lapua necked up to 338. Some turn the necks and some don't. There is another 338 whisper based on the necked up 223 case that is a waste of time.
The reamer is available from PTG I think....have to look at mine. Dies are available from CH4D. We are shooting everything from 300gr Sierra matchkings at 1050fps to 180 Barnes or Hornady at 2300fps or more depending on barrel length. 8 in twist is standard though some prefer a bit faster if they run copper solids or the lehigh brass solids. A friend using my reamer had done a number of Remington 700's and they are great shooters. All of them have been very accurate, easy to load for and the quietest subsonics I've yet heard suppressed. Rifles need to have the .473" bolt face and typical short actions work fine. I've done a few AR 10 types and they work well but aren't as accurate as the bolt guns.

Hope that helps

Frank

I was leaning toward the Ivan and Whisper cause of the case size and parent case brass availability.

Frank - I was referring to the Br case for the Whisper. I’ve read good reports on it also. Do you see any difference in accuracy with the turned vs unturned brass?

I haven't seen any accuracy differences but some chambers don't like the ridge left when you pull the shoulder up into the neck on the 6mmBR cases. The reamer I'm using doesn't seem to care, neck area is large enough to accept the ridge. I started out using Remington 7BR brass which is available every once in a while but it is crap brass. I've had the sides split the first shot and consistency case to case is crap. The lapua stuff is much better and we normally use two buttons to bring the neck diameter up from 6mm. You can do it in one but the neck thickness isn't as consistent.

We have been calling this one the 338BR to avoid confusion with the 223 based cartridge and also because it was the first one to have been used. JD jones seems to get upset when folks use his trademarked whisper name and its not worth fooling with him. They used the 338BR in silhouette competition back in the 60s before jd was playing with whispers.....and this one is really a full size BR case with the neck set to the cal you want. No JD jonesing involved.

Frank

I have a LRI built KraZy Ivan.
Built on a Remington 700 with a 8 twist X-caliber barrel. Quiet with a 9mm can and Hollywood quiet with my Sig 338TI can.
Shooting 300 gr SMK at 1020 FPS.

You should do a “pistol build” with a 11 inch barrel and Pork Sword Chassis ;)
I don’t see the Krazy Ivan brass, dies, or barrels available… I would prefer it personally over the other choices as there would no bolt change needed for me.

Otherwise I’ll probably go Spectre as it will be 100% Subs.

Any advice? I want to run it on an AR-15.