• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 338 Ultra on 308 MilSpec sound test

Hell yeah! This can is ridiculously impressive in every way. It turns big magnums like 338 Norma and 28 Nosler into pussycats. I couldn't be happier with mine. I am using it on pretty much all of my rifles now (even 6.5s) because it is just so damn impressive.

Reactions: TBACRAY
Hey Ray, I'm running a 338 ultra on my 6 dasher for comps.. at the last match one of the RO's asked me about my setup. His response was "that thing sounds like a f*cking squirtgun!!" Haha.. had a good laugh.

I just found an old video I don't remember making or seeing. The original 338 Ultra prototype on a 23" 308 doing the standard MilSpec sound test.
Shot string goes 126 127 127.25 126.5 127 127.5 126.75 126.75 126.5 126.5 for a 10 shot average of 126.77. AWESOME!!!!

How does that compare to the ultra 7 and 9?

I have one on order and I think it'll be great on magnums for me. If only it could mount to a CB mount without taking away its ability to be used on a 338.

The one in the video is running the BA2CB. Listen to what I'm saying right at the start.

CB2BA ADAPTER, adjustable wrench and a few seconds to install or remove.
https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/accessories
I ordered one of those with the 338 Ultra when I ordered it. I was under the (probably mistaken) impression that the adapter had to be loctited into the suppressor, preventing easy conversion back to use on a 338 caliber rifle using your 338BA brake. I'll continue to read up on it and make some sense of it in my head. For some reason I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around it but that's not anyone's fault but mine.

Wait a second, you mean you have a can that meters quieter than the two quietest cans on the market? I thought TBAC was "bad science"?

(I know, I know, internal volume and all)

;)

Reactions: TBACRAY
One of my good friends has been shooting his 338 Tbac can on his 260 since way before there was an ultra. Even in its original form it was very noticeably quieter than anything else. There was always guys asking what he was shooting and whose can it was.

My friend brought one of these over to my place on a 22/'06.
It was ridiculously quiet.
He said it's a pussycat on his 7STW as well.

I ordered one of those with the 338 Ultra when I ordered it. I was under the (probably mistaken) impression that the adapter had to be loctited into the suppressor, preventing easy conversion back to use on a 338 caliber rifle using your 338BA brake. I'll continue to read up on it and make some sense of it in my head. For some reason I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around it but that's not anyone's fault but mine.

I believe that is the recommended method, to use red loctite on the adapter. I'm under the same impression as well. I've got a .30 ultra 9 and a 338 ultra on the way and it would be nice if I could swap these back and forth without the loctite and not worry about it loosening up on me or having significant POI shifts.

TBACRAY or any others that know, is it okay to not loctite the cb2ba adapter into the 338 ultra?

If I don't loctite it, will it loosen up on me after some number of shots?

If I don't loctite it, would there be any noticeable POI shift between installations due to the close but probably random torque I'd be applying on the cb2ba adapter when installing it into the can?

Any other drawbacks to not using loctite?

The 338 I use for demos has it loctited in so I don't have to pay any attention to it with many guns on the line at the same time. I've ran a few without loctite and used a wrench to install. It stayed in place but I did keep checking cause knowing its not loctited makes me check things. I like witness marks with a silver marker so I don't have to touch hot cans. Works well.