• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 win mag BAR ?

Shadow knows

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2017
SD
My buddy took in trade a unfired 1990 Belgium made assembled in "somewhere else" idk. Has about 4 safe raches on the receiver if you hold it to the light and one one the end of the forearm.
Here is the question, I kinda always wanted a BAR and a older Browning would be better but 1990 isn't bad. However 338 we is rare in BAR but is the cartridge real good? I have a custom 300 wm already I just wonder if I need this BAR?

Define "real good." The 338 WM will take anything North America has to offer, and much of Africa as well. I don't think I would call it a precision rifle cartridge, but that is more of a function of the bullet and factory ammunition offerings. But, if you want to heave a big ol' piece of lead at something with a bad attitude, the 338 WM may be just the thing.

My buddy took in trade a unfired 1990 Belgium made assembled in "somewhere else" idk. Has about 4 safe raches on the receiver if you hold it to the light and one one the end of the forearm.
Here is the question, I kinda always wanted a BAR and a older Browning would be better but 1990 isn't bad. However 338 we is rare in BAR but is the cartridge real good? I have a custom 300 wm already I just wonder if I need this BAR?

That is a great rifle and probably assembled in Portugal. I had several 7mm Mag rifles in that same generation manufacture and loved them for hunting. The accuracy is not comparable to a quality bolt but was sufficient and the BAR is a great hunting rifle. The 338 is a great choice in a cartridge for elk or similar size game. The 338 BAR was always at a significant premium during that time and I could not afford them and stayed with the 7mm Rem. Mag for my rifles.

I have had about 5 BARs over the years, but don’t like the mag setup, have taken two bull elk with the 338WM BAR, nice rifles, fo me switching to Benelli with a true quick change mag is what I wanted. I like the Benelli R1 338 WM, pull up real nice, accuracy is good1 MOA on mine.

Benelli R1, 1 MOA is out of the bo on mine (mine was under 1 MOA at 100 yards, good break-in and right ammo I bet it will get better. Most game kills are inside of 300 yards, even the 5 Bull Elk I have taken have been 350 yards or closer. I do have a 338LM set up for a hope to get a draw to a unit and opportunity to reach out much further to take an Elk. In a real hunting situation you may find yourself needing more than 3+1, R1 is the way to go, easily add 3 more rounds. The BARs are fine rifles, took one bull standing at 100 yards in brush, the other was running at 350 yards took my forth round to take him. +1 for BAR 338WM (BOSS), +1 Benelli R1 338WM. Comes down to personal choice.

Benelli R1, 1 MOA is out of the bo on mine (mine was under 1 MOA at 100 yards, good break-in and right ammo I bet it will get better. Most game kills are inside of 300 yards, even the 5 Bull Elk I have taken have been 350 yards or closer. I do have a 338LM set up for a hope to get a draw to a unit and opportunity to reach out much further to take an Elk. In a real hunting situation you may find yourself needing more than 3+1, R1 is the way to go, easily add 3 more rounds. The BARs are fine rifles, took one bull standing at 100 yards in brush, the other was running at 350 yards took my forth round to take him. +1 for BAR 338WM (BOSS), +1 Benelli R1 338WM. Comes down to personal choice.
-
No doubts the Benelli will do better with a good Handload .
I put a few box's of ammo threw that Benelli R1 and I was taken by big surprise how lightweight it handles, and smooth that thing shoots for a Mag. cal. Semi . Very light on the recoil with there gas set-up . it was consistent 1 MOA with box factory @ 100 yrd.

Well interesting comments. I realize the 338 WM is not a long range rifle like the 338LM is. I think I may pass on it, maybe if it didn't have a few bruises on it I would buy it but that's how it goes.
Thanks guys