• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .338LM range report

insectguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Chattanooga
Since it got up to 60F today, it was the perfect day to take the new Blaser Tactical II in .338 LM out for a spin.

0118001228.jpg

I brought along three boxes of Corbon ammo: 250gr, 300 gr and 300gr subsonic.

Since this was the first time it was shot, I had mounted a 5.5-22x50 Nightforce with zero stop and MOA reticle. We set up at 100 yards and started to sight in in. Removing the bolt, we sighted down the bore, only to realize the zero stop was set too high. Since neither one of us had adjusted the zero stop, we took the cap off, played around with the set screws, and ultimately recognized we had no clue. So, we went inside and printed off the directions from SnipersHide. :)

We set the zero stop to allow us to sight in the rifle, and began shooting the 250 grain rounds. It took a few rounds, and then began to have drift on the page. Of course, we finally figured out the scope base was loose. Back in the house, grab a wrench, and tighten everything down. Back outside for more sight-in. My spotter kept telling me adjustments, but my reticle was telling me something else. Finally, after a few more rounds, we realized he was thinking mils, but the scope was in MOA. *doh*

Got it sighted in, then moved back to 250 yards.

0118001228a.jpg

Shot the last two rounds of 250gr and the Larue popup, then switched over to the 300 grain subsonics. Whoa. What a difference. The final tally was 33 MOA up. But what a hoot! No noise or recoil to speak of, and still smacked the Larue popups and MGM popups. Went through the 20 rounds just having fun.

Then, switched to the 300 grain non-subsonics. Umph. I shot one into the MGM popup just to see what would happen, and it knocked it off the hinge point. After five shots, my shoulder was done. I looked at the Larue, and one round had clipped the edge, and put a pretty significant ding on it. The MGM, much to my surprise, was not damaged. It had the three inches of rubber to slow the round, and combined with the distance, survived well.

Again, very, very good day. The Blaser was an awesome precision instrument, and the Nightforce perform extremely well, as expected. The biggest problem was me. I'll work on that.

Re: .338LM range report

What kind of groups was she holding? I have always wanted a 338

Groups - keeping in mind this was my first time shooting a .338lm, and the first time shooting this rifle, and the first time with this scope, we were just under 1 moa with both the 250gr and 300gr. The subsonic had a bit of drift because of the crosswind and distance at 250 yards. For those of you with ballistic calculators, check a 300 grain sierra round, 1000fps, with a 10 mph 90degree crosswind. we didn't bother to put it on paper with this round-- just watched the Larue plate fall.

To understand why I went with the Blaser, remember my job is instructing nuclear plant inspectors. During the firearms course, I want to expose them to as many different calibers and firearms as possible, because most of them will never get another chance to fire a rifle of this quality. Since I already have a .308 Sako TRG, I wanted something a little different. The Blaser has the gee-whiz factor with it's design. For those of you reading along, my agency will not buy the firearms, so if I feel there is a need for another firearm, it is up to me to supply it or do without.

I have a .308 and a .50BMG already in the course, so this fits nicely right between. It's the last I'm buying for them.

As an aside, my shooting buddy is an LEO, well versed in firearms. He has shot both the Sako and Blaser, and really likes the Blaser. Of course, that could be the caliber speaking as well.

Also, my shoulder is really sore today. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't see a Suppressor anywhere in the photo. Why would you be shooting subsonic rounds without a can?
And with no can-what do you mean NO NOISE to speak of?

You are correct-- there is no can, yet. The term "no noise to speak of" is a comparative term. Fire a full power round, then a subsonic round, and you'll see what I mean. Does this mean I would shoot without hearing protection? No. The combination of the lower speed round and the lower powder charge made for a significantly less noisy report. My .223 can is a significant reduction, but I still wear hearing protection when I shoot that as well.

And yes, I intend on getting a can. I just need to find an extra $1450 laying around.

Might want to think about another brake too. Try a Badger FTE or even a Badger thruster. On my 3 338LM's recoil is not an issue-even with the heaviest 300SMK loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insectguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And yes, I intend on getting a can. I just need to find an extra $1450 laying around. </div></div>

Holy shit! $1450 for a can? is it made of gold?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insectguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And yes, I intend on getting a can. I just need to find an extra $1450 laying around. </div></div>

Holy shit! $1450 for a can? is it made of gold?! </div></div>

That is down right affordable for a .338 can.

Just remember a AAC QD goes for $3000+ (without the brake)

Still that is alot of money for a can.

You can get a Ase Utra S7 for a .338 for about $550...

Are the AAC really that much better?

I've not seen a .338 can in the U.S. for $550. Perhaps someone else knows of one?

insectguy
where did you find a 338lm titanium thundertrap for $1250???????
they list for $1895, I know I just gave It to awc a couple of weeks ago.

Two weeks after I bought my Blaser, a gentleman in Georgia listed the same rifle at a discounted price on Gunbroker-- go figure. That's my luck.

Anyway, he has a Thundertrap for sale as well, titanium, for $1250 on a form 3.

All I need is money. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending upon how you see it, my wife and I are trying our darndest to get out of debt. Ergo, the gun funds, not the household funds, must be used to pay for gun purchases et al.

As far as the suppressor from Sweden, it may a be a great unit, but I didn't think I could buy one from overseas. Is that possible?

YHM is advertising a 338 can for under $700. Goto silencer talk. Major malfunction can tell ya about it. Its a QD can too.

"After five shots, my shoulder was done"

Thats hard for me to believe, mine is smooth as silk and a pleasure to shoot.
Congrats on the new rifle
wink.gif

No, count the total. That was the last five. A total of 45 shots - 20 250gr, 20 300gr sub, and 5 300gr.

I may be wimpy, but not THAT wimpy! :)

Lill-- I didn't realize it was from Finland. I saw your location and, well, assumed.....

I'll check out the YHM and the Ase Utra.