• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 338RUM. What bullet would you choose?

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
I am looking for a hunting bullet that will be used on elk,moose, caribou, and hopefully not but the charging bear after my kill. LOL. I will be using this bullet for hunting and killing rocks out to a 1000 yards. I like clean and humane kills so I want the bullet that will do the job. So far here are my bullet choices. Keep in mind this may change when the new bergers come out. I pretty much only worried about long range accuracy. But for now this is what I am looking at.

225 gr nosler accubond
250 gr nosler accubond
300 gr lapua scenar
250 gr SMK
300 gr SMK
250 gr lapua scenar

what would you choose? Any I should consider that are not on the list?

I will be running my 338rum very moderatly. I am concerned only with accuracy and not concerned about pushing this case to the max. Thanks guys

Re: 338RUM. What bullet would you choose?

i would go with the 225 accubond my 338 rum shot them very well. bullets hold together well on elk.

225 grain accubond..Gets my vote and works in both of my Rums very well

I wouldn't be afraid to use any of them. Whichever one your rifle shoots best.

I use the 275 grain Swift A-Frame @ 2825 FPS in a 26" bbl and 210 grain TSX @ 3150 FPS. The SWAF BC is .469 vs .550 in the 225 Accubond, the sectional density in the 275 SWAF is .344 vs .281 in the 225 Accubond and the energy is above 5000 ft. at the muzzle for the 275 SWAF!! I have been elk hunting the last two seasons were both shots were under 80 yds and SWAF destroyed them both. hunting. I have not tried the 250 grain TSX yet, but that would be another great choice, along with the Accubonds.

I saw a 285gr TSX and a 250gr MRX on Barnes website recently.

Yeah I was thinking about the 225 and 250 accubonds but I just hate their BC's

my vote goes to the 300smk, I haven't used my edge to hunt but alot of the guys on longrange hunting use them for elk to 1000yds. I can tell you my 338 edge loves h1000 and 300smk just make sure you have at slowest a 10 twist.

quite honestly I think you are good to go with any of them so if one seems to be more accurate than others go with that one.

When Berger gets the new 338 on the market it will be the way to go. The hunting VLD will be a great bullet and I am waiting impatiently for it. I called Berger a week or so ago and they told me they were almost at the stage of debugging the machine.....and debugging could take from two to six months. OUCH! But, hey, I’m glad they’re doing it right. I would expect nothing less from them.

I have looked at a lot of other bullets and run the numbers on the ballistics calculator and the next best thing in a hunting bullet seems to be the 225 Accubond. It’s a good middle of the road hunting bullet that works well on all kinds of big game, it has an OK BC and according to the Nosler manual you can load it a bit faster than most other bullets in this weight. Good accuracy, too.

I also run a 160 grain Barnes TTSX at almost 3700fps MV. Mostly just because I can. I’ll admit it, I like the cool factor.

Another bullet I run is the Bore Tech 245 grain V3. It has a BC of .869 and is very accurate. It’s a solid brass alloy, so would not be good for hunting, but it will really reach out there and stay supersonic. Be sure to weight sort the bullet though.

It’s definitely fun working with a round that is this vestal.