• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 34mm showdown

:

• Athlon Ares ETR

Votes: 50 38.5%
  • Brownells MPO

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Bushnell DMR2i

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Meopta Optika6

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Steiner P4Xi

Votes: 24 18.5%

• Total voters
Arken it is...

:whistle:
Image result for barf gif

The new-ish Athlon Midas BTR 5-25x56 is, I think, $849 and 34mm tube. No illumination like the Ares but $350 cheaper and perhaps slightly better turret feel. I'm strongly considering one for my DMR-style AR.

If you can find the ETR for < $1k I'd say that's your best bet, but my bias is I haven't seen the Meopta or Brownells MPO in person and I think the Athlon reticle is the best one out there.

That is a little bit of a tough call. Resolution wise, they are pretty close, but P4Xi has better contrast. Aside from the objective size, that is the thing that helps P4Xi in low light.
Both have good turrets. I think P4Xi click feel is a little more firm. I do like the covered windage turret of the MPO though.
Depth of field is a little better on the P4Xi, but MPO give you a little more flexibility with its greater magnification range and it is smaller.

They have very different reticles and MPO's N-OMR reticle has really grown on me, to be honest, and I like tree reticles anyway. That having been said, SCR reticle in the P4Xi is very good and has been around for quite some time. We know it works because there are thousand of people using it out there with good success. If you are primarily a dialer, SCR is a very nice design. N-OMR does have better visbility on low power.

P4Xi is a bigger scope. For a bolt gun, I'd probably lean toward the P4Xi. For an accurate semi-auto, I think MPO is a more flexible option and, honestly, I use the reticle for hold-offs more on semi-auto guns than on bolt guns.

ILya
Thank you ILya. Makes sense. I guess one other intangible positive is that MPO is just coming to market, the P4Xi is discontinued. So for not much more in price, an non-discontinued scope.