• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

35 Remington

mvphilly

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2022
NY
WOW the price of this stuff is in Weatherby territory almost $5.00 per round in some cases.WTF?

Weird, I just talked to a guy in a Bass Pro searching for some 35 Rem and he can't find any. I told him of a small local shop to try. He says he can't find it anywhere these days.

I've just gotten back into shooting these last 6 months or so, and in general, I'm floored at the prices of nearly anything, compared to, say, 2005. Just today I paid $45 for a 20rd box of Hornady SST 243 😱

Federal Premium HammerDown 220 gr JHP nickel plated is listed as "coming soon - overdue" at Midway for $2.50. You can get on the "notify me" email list, but it might sell out before you read the email. Usually a sign that it will be available elsewhere at the same time, though.

Just bought 40 rounds for around 140 bucks last month. Shit is pricey, brass is almost extinct. Save what you have and start reloading

Weird, I just talked to a guy in a Bass Pro searching for some 35 Rem and he can't find any. I told him of a small local shop to try. He says he can't find it anywhere these days.

I've just gotten back into shooting these last 6 months or so, and in general, I'm floored at the prices of nearly anything, compared to, say, 2005. Just today I paid $45 for a 20rd box of Hornady SST 243 😱
Repeat after me - "Thanks, Joe."

Damn, I guess the stash of 50+ boxes of core lokt from my grandpas estate is worth a small fortune. No, it's not for sale either.

It's a century-plus old cartridge that's aging out due to lack of support from the ammunition manufacturers, a result of lack of demand from shooters. Search around, it's been increasingly hard to come by for years, worsened by Remington going defunct and getting bought. Hornady and Federal still do runs of it, but those come and go and seem to get fewer and further between each time. Remington is supposed to be producing it again, but I haven't seen any yet. New brass is even harder to come by, spurring some to go to great lengths to convert .308 to .35 Remington, but with the .35 sporting a .460 rim diameter, well, it's not done easily by any means.

Get what you can while you can, but in reality those old .35s need to become safe or mantle queens as the cartridge support is effectively dead. Its only savior would be a Henry Arms and Marlin (new 336 is said to slated for .35 Remington in the future) joint venture, them being the only two producers still interested in chambering new rifles in the caliber, to get the ammunition manufacturers on the ball of producing it more consistently. Email them, often, urging it and it might get some headway.

Me, I have my 45-70 Govt for lever gun hunting in the Rockies, because if I'm going to pay a few bucks per shot my shoulder better be telling me it's a glorious heavy slug headed the other direction, and it's at least going to be around for another century to come.

Well, in true Adam Smith capitalism, value is determined in a fair and knowledgeable transaction between two parties. So, in a way, he's not wrong. A price cannot really be determined unless a product is on the market. However, safe to say, 50 boxes would likely bring a good amount of money.

Reactions: Ronws
The last thing I'd want to do is defend Joe, but .35 Rem ammo and components have been scarce for a long time, long before Joe, Covid, and the ammo shortages.
Well, true. And I agree with others. Supply and demand. As Thomas Sowell would say, management of scarce resources.

The cartridge is on life support, the only one of the Rem cartridges still alive. Reload for it, and become a brass goblin

On ammo seek for $2.30 shipped

Remington, Winchester, and Hornady all make ammo for it.

Ammoseek.com