• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

357sig vs 9mm bullets? Is there a difference?

Re: 357sig vs 9mm bullets? Is there a difference?

I load both. You can run in to a problem with some "9mm" bullets not being to long to seat properly with a col of 1.140. If you can get the right col and they are seated well go for it. Just watch out for setback.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New to reloading...

can one load up the 357sig 125gr gold dot into 9mm? Could one load the 124gr gold dot 9mm into 357sig case? If not why? If so why do they separate them?

357sig bullets - http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/...0&firearm=2

<span style="text-decoration: underline">9mm/38auto/380acp http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/...0&firearm=2</span> </div></div>

This latter example is mistaken or the link is faulty. The 9mm Makarov or 9 X 18 is in fact a .364 caliber bullet, not .355 as required by the 9mm Luger, .380, .38 Auto, .38 super and .357 Sig., 9X21, 9X23, etc. There may be a few more as well!

The two calibers (Bullet diameters) are not interchangeable.

357sig and 9mm. sorry about the link. I DONT CARE ABOUT MAKAROV

sounds like the 9mm bullets are the same dimensions but aren't made to take sig velocities.

The same bullets are intended for 9mm Parabellum and 357 Sig. But I've found that truncated cone or HP works best for 357. Some round nose bullets don't have enough straight bearing surface to seat properly in the short 357 case neck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds like the 9mm bullets are the same dimensions but aren't made to take sig velocities. </div></div>
True, but I don't necessarily believe all of the manufacturers'/gunwriters' proclamations on this.

I'd much rather rely on something like Hornady's recommended impact velocities as published for their XTP line of bullets. These bullets are quite accurate in my testing. And in .355, my favorite, the 115-grain, is rated to expand reliably from a minimum of 800 fps up to 1400 fps. Most every .357 SIG load is right at 1400 fps, but the Hodgdon Longshot load at 1497 has to go about 25 yards before it slows to 1400.

thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GuinnessNM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The same bullets are intended for 9mm Parabellum and 357 Sig. But I've found that truncated cone or HP works best for 357. Some round nose bullets don't have enough straight bearing surface to seat properly in the short 357 case neck. </div></div>

Be careful.

.357 Sig bullets are designed with a longer bearing surface relative to 9mm bullets. This is why they make a .357 Sig bullet.

The ogive on a 9mm is too steep and at proper COALs, you'll have the case mouth over the tangent and not get a good case mouth to bullet seal. Kind of like running 75 AMAX at mag length in an AR-15. You can get them to fire, but it's not optimal.

I'm sure some people have used 9mm in 357 Sig cases, but I'm also sure that some have run pistol powders in rifle cases and got away with things.

Use the correct bullt for the cartridge.

Chris

is it possible to use a 357mag bullet ie. 158gr in 357sig? can't seem to find any .355" dia bullets in 158gr for reloading.