• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 35mm Rings for Mark 5

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    Im in a mad search for "non rail mount" rings in 35mm to mount a Leupy Mark 5 HD onto my ultra lite rifle built on a Defiance Rebel. Seems the options are slim to none. Talley doesn't offer anything. It looks like Gunwerks at one point made some, but are no longer available. Any ideas? Im trying to keep the weight down on the build.

Manners Elite EHF shell
    Defiance Rebel Sheep Port XM
    Proof Research 24in barrel

Leupold are what I went with, happened to also be the only ones I could find at the time.

Seekins and vortex(made by seekins)

all of the Seekins ones mount to a picatinny rail. Im trying to avoid adding a rail. Im looking for something similar to Talley rings, but in 35mm. They don't seem to exist.

The Leupold rings are their Dove Tail mount. While its an option, Ive never really liked the dovetail design.

Reactions: mpl2353
    GW-CLYMR-005-3.png

these are what im trying to find

Reactions: mpl2353
    The Burris XTR 2 piece bases are pretty low. Then you can use what ever Picatinny rings you want. That’s what I use on my hunting rifles.

I’ve been looking for something similar myself..and can’t seem to find anything

I think the Seekins 20 moa bases are about 3-4 ounces. Nothing that will break anyone's back. Lol

Ounces add up across a build. The biggest disappointment in weight for this build has been the Defiance XM bottom metal and mag box. It’s all steel and unfortunately there isn’t any other option for intermediate length actions. This is for a wsm BTW.

At this point I’d like to put any available weight into the optic.

Yeah it seems odd to nit pick about 3oz. But ounces add up to a pound quick

Jigstick I didn't want you to think my above was too harsh as there is more than weight you need to worry about. First the ring placement on the tube. You don't want them jammed into the turrets or objective. Also setting eye relief. With a set up like you posted above you can only move the scope a little ways. What if you need more? The versatility of a picitinny base and rings is not the place to be cutting a few ounces as it allows for much better scope placement and mounting. Been down that road. Trying to help you not make the mistake.

Reactions: ddavis
    Jigstick I didn't want you to think my above was too harsh as there is more than weight you need to worry about. First the ring placement on the tube. You don't want them jammed into the turrets or objective. Also setting eye relief. With a set up like you posted above you can only move the scope a little ways. What if you need more? The versatility of a picitinny base and rings is not the place to be cutting a few ounces as it allows for much better scope placement and mounting. Been down that road. Trying to help you not make the mistake.

This is the problem I had with my Winchester Cooey on .243, where i could not get the scope far enough back to allow a proper eye relief. The bushnel 3x9 just didnt have the tube length to slide it back.

As much as i wanted a lighter weight setup, i ended up putting a rail on it and now have some rings for that same scope.

I know what youre getting at. This isnt my first rodeo building a rifle. Ive made plenty of mistakes since I started out 15yrs ago. ive come to like my hunting rifles with the minimal amount of "crap" hanging off them. Simplicity. The eyebox / relief on the VX5 is fine for me and plenty comfortable. My reason for looking for the unicorn is because I don't "need" a rail...if my unicorn is out there. I came across those rings and figured something like that would still be available. Surprised Talley doesn't make a set.

You arent going to find a non dovetail, or pic 35mm rings that direct mount, at least not in Al. I wish you all the luck in finding them, and I'm sorry I cant be of more help. You could email Talley and see if they would be willing to make you a custom set, but the demand just isnt out there to warrant the added programming time for the CNC.

However, I looked up Talleys weights, while they dont specify the different heights actual weight, they say they weight 4oz. Badger Ordnance, not always the lightest option, lists the weights of the specific rings and bases. Their 1.125" 35mm rings are 4.5oz with the Al Base at 2.0oz, thats a weight difference of 1.5 nature valley bars, less than the difference between a padded vs non-padded sling.

Im in a mad search for "non rail mount" rings in 35mm to mount a Leupy Mark 5 HD onto my ultra lite rifle built on a Defiance Rebel. Seems the options are slim to none. Talley doesn't offer anything. It looks like Gunwerks at one point made some, but are no longer available. Any ideas? Im trying to keep the weight down on the build.

Manners Elite EHF shell
    Defiance Rebel Sheep Port XM
    Proof Research 24in barrel
    I am in kinda in the same boat. Have a custom pre-64 Winchester mod 70 that I want to use a Mark 5 HD with as it is my go to scope now. Have a Vortex Precision Mount (a one piece goes on a pic rail) on my Rem 700 mountain rifle. Don't like it because the scope height on that rifle with the Mark 5 HD is 2.07". It is also heavy. I will replace it with ARC M10 rings low height 24mm when I get around to it.

have you checked out the Spuhr. I didn't see weight, was on a work conference call while googling for you :)

I know what youre getting at. This isnt my first rodeo building a rifle. Ive made plenty of mistakes since I started out 15yrs ago. ive come to like my hunting rifles with the minimal amount of "crap" hanging off them. Simplicity. The eyebox / relief on the VX5 is fine for me and plenty comfortable. My reason for looking for the unicorn is because I don't "need" a rail...if my unicorn is out there. I came across those rings and figured something like that would still be available. Surprised Talley doesn't make a set.

Again apologies if the first post came across rough. That saying just seems to come up on any forum when the whole weight thing is brought up. Wasn't meant to be a slam.

Hope you find what you want. A set of two piece mounts and rings should work too. Good luck.

I never found direct mount 35mm scope rings for my Mark 5HD. I had no choice but to buy a rail ('magnum' length action... who knew?) then Leupold 35mm picatinny rings. Talley doesn't make them as far as I know. If you find any, please let us all know. If I were to cite a Con for Leupold, it would be their 35mm tube size.

Leupold Mark 4 2 piece base is perfect for a Mark 5 scope. I used ARC M-Brace 35mm rings (fantastic) or Leupold 35mm rings. Warne makes lightweight 35mm rings (part # 7242M).