• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 36mm scope ring options

theringworm

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2019
I have a ZCO and am chasing 36mm rings for my hunting rig (300 Norma Improved). I initially bought the Spuhr but felt it was more than what I needed. Don't really need/want a mono-mount. Then went with the ARC's even though I really want a 6 screw ring instead of their 4 screw. Two other options I know of are Tier One's Tactical rings and Hawkins is coming out with a set of 36mm rings soon but are delayed given the current state of the world. There is nothing wrong with any of the ones I have purchased so far, just to clarify. They are both quality builds. I am simply looking for additional options. I have experience and/or solid reviews regarding all of the above but the Tier One. A search on here yielded two prior reviews about their rings but they are over a year old. Anyone have any more recent experience with their rings in general or even more specifically with their 36mm 6 screw rings? Curious about the functionality of their built in bubble level as well. In addition, anyone know of any other manufacturers producing 36mm rings? Thanks

Last edited:
Tier ones are great. I don’t have the 6 screw. I have the pic rail rings. The bubble level where that one is, is not usable so I bought their bubble level too. I had to come off the rifle for the one that was built in. The 6 screw might be different.

I went with the ARC M10 rings for my ZC4x20 and have no regrets.I looked at the Tier One rings but could not get my hands on them.Nice to here Hawkins is coming out with 36mm rings thanks for the info.

I haven't used them, but was going to try the Ziess 36mm rings on a 4-20 this fall for hunting. Eurooptic carries them.

Reactions: gebhardt02
They moved the level where you can see it too.

As listed above there are many good option. My opinion is quantity of fasteners does not equal security. The ARC rings are about as sturdy as it gets for simplistic rings. You post states you have a spuhr as well.

Spuhr offers several features rings and other mounts don not. The major features of value I see are:
1. accessory mounting options
2. Additional cant
3. Supreme security
4. Sexiness factor (The look sweet)

ARC has some very nice features For rings.
1. Light weight
2. Security
3. Zero induced torque while clamping/no rotation
4. Affordable

If you don’t need cant and want a one piece, the MPA is very high quality and affordable. It just doesn’t offer key features I like for a ZCO such as stated above.

With the options available for 36mm, if you don’t have specific needs, just draw from a hat. They are al very well made!

I scoped up 2 Hunting rifles with ZRO 4-20's using Zeiss Precision Rings and I 'am very impressed. Very nice rings.

FYI - I use 4 screw Nightforce ultralights on my 300 Norma improved, and the scope has never slipped or moved in the slightest. The 6 screw isn't necessary. I do use 6 screw on 338 Norma improved.

I know you aren't looking at Nightforce, but you don't have to be constrained to 6 screw.

We got em! Hawkins Precision Heavy Tactical Scope Rings in 36mm

P1020129-2.jpg

I’ve got a Spuhr one one and an Era Tac on the other. The basic Era Tac 36mm mount (non-QD) is really nice, I’ll probably use those going forward since they’re a couple hundred cheaper than a Spuhr. @HawkinsPrecision any chance of the Heavy Tactical 1-piece coming in 36mm?

Masterpiece Arms Comp BA chassis, Big Horn TL3 action, 6.5 Creedmore, M24 Contour As Proof Research barrel.
Action has a 90 degree bolt throw.
Chassis has an adjustable cheek riser, and a night vision bridge. I am thinking 1.5" high, or 38 mm to allow lots of adjustment backward for eye relief. I think I could get away with 1.25" (32mm), but it will restrict how far back I can pull the scope before the objective liens interferes with the barrel. I will also have flip up scope caps. So those need clearance too. Your thoughts and your decision strategy?
Thanks in advance!

Been running 32mm (high) arc rings for both my zc527 and zc420. Perfect height for both.au I adk
Been running 32mm (high) arc rings for both my zc527 and zc420. Perfect height for both.
May I ask about the throw on your bolt? Is it 60 degree, or 90 degree? Mine will be 90degrees. Bighorn TL3, 20 MOA Picatinney rail.
Picatinney rail is ..316" high at front. Outer diameter of the ZCO 56 mm Objective is 63 mm. Add all that up, and it says I need just under 1" ring height. Things I do not know are how the bolt might interfere, and how much to add to the objective diameter to cover flip up scope covers. Sounds like 32 mm might be the answer.

Don't rule out ERA TAC, Eurooptic sells em. Like a "budget" Spuhr, lots of mounting options, heights, cant, canti, accessories, etc.
1613832272855.png

Last edited:
Reactions: tex68w
Don't rule out ERA TAC, Eurooptic sells em. Like a "budget" Spuhr, lots of mounting options, heights, cant, canti, accessories, etc.
View attachment 7561989
Will check them out. 32 mm height is not very available on Spuhr. They have a cantilevered design at 32 mm tall. RRS has a good looking design made from 6061 Aluminum, not 7075 like most that I am considering. Though, Not all are 7075.

I ran an EraTac unimount on a SR25 once, it was a very nice mount.

Reactions: davigf01
I have a ZCO and am chasing 36mm rings for my hunting rig (300 Norma Improved). I initially bought the Spuhr but felt it was more than what I needed. Don't really need/want a mono-mount. Then went with the ARC's even though I really want a 6 screw ring instead of their 4 screw. Two other options I know of are Tier One's Tactical rings and Hawkins is coming out with a set of 36mm rings soon but are delayed given the current state of the world. There is nothing wrong with any of the ones I have purchased so far, just to clarify. They are both quality builds. I am simply looking for additional options. I have experience and/or solid reviews regarding all of the above but the Tier One. A search on here yielded two prior reviews about their rings but they are over a year old. Anyone have any more recent experience with their rings in general or even more specifically with their 36mm 6 screw rings? Curious about the functionality of their built in bubble level as well. In addition, anyone know of any other manufacturers producing 36mm rings? Thanks
Ziess has rings made by Tier one...

Really like my zco rings. Made by APA. View attachment 7516733
I’ve got the ARC rings but if ZCO would have included a built in level I’d buy them and sell the ARCs as I don’t like how the ARCs engage the rail via the round bolt shank vs rectangular lug built in with all other rings. Haven’t had problems but doesn’t inspire confidence in my mind as to whether they’d be more prone of allowing movement under hard impact.

ZC527 is in process. Rifle purchased. Will be at my FFL NEXT WEEK. Xtreme Guns and Ammo had all the pieces in stock, and for a lefty.
For rings, I went with 32 mm (1.25") tall.
Scope bell OD is 63 mm. 20 MOA picatinney rail on the action is .316" from bottom to top. 63 mm = 2.48". Half of that is 1.24'.
So, we have to clear at least that, plus whatever slope increase the amount you have to clear from the action mounted picatinney, countered by the distance out front of the scope, and the bArrel contour.
Doing the math on the things we know, 1.24" minus .316" leaves the minimum height needed by the rings. ... = 0.924" or 23.47 mm.
I also want to leave room for flip up scope covers. I also want to hedge my bet on a 90 degree bolt throw, to avoid interference with the rear ocular on the scope.
I have decided to run with 32 mm high rings based on what others are doing, and advice received from folks that build rifles and from these calculations. I am giving myself .324" of insurance that all will fit, without getting too high above the bore. I might have gotten away with 30 mm, and one could argue that I should wait, use the penny stack to figure out what I actually needed. But, availability of rings is touch and go. I would much rather have something in hand that will work, rather than finding myself waiting unpredictable weeks while supplies are replenished for the perfect height.

^^^ if that's you in the avatar, and you wear glasses while shooting matches, like me, then consider going 1.5" for the extra heads up. Will help you look through the center of your glasses better. YMMV.

Reactions: davigf01
^^^ if that's you in the avatar, and you wear glasses while shooting matches, like me, then consider going 1.5" for the extra heads up. Will help you look through the center of your glasses better. YMMV.
I can always test with a penny stack to evaluate my cheek weld and scope height. Hopefully, I will not discover that I need another .250" of height.

ZC527 is in process. Rifle purchased. Will be at my FFL NEXT WEEK. Xtreme Guns and Ammo had all the pieces in stock, and for a lefty.
For rings, I went with 32 mm (1.25") tall.
Scope bell OD is 63 mm. 20 MOA picatinney rail on the action is .316" from bottom to top. 63 mm = 2.48". Half of that is 1.24'.
So, we have to clear at least that, plus whatever slope increase the amount you have to clear from the action mounted picatinney, countered by the distance out front of the scope, and the bArrel contour.
Doing the math on the things we know, 1.24" minus .316" leaves the minimum height needed by the rings. ... = 0.924" or 23.47 mm.
I also want to leave room for flip up scope covers. I also want to hedge my bet on a 90 degree bolt throw, to avoid interference with the rear ocular on the scope.
I have decided to run with 32 mm high rings based on what others are doing, and advice received from folks that build rifles and from these calculations. I am giving myself .324" of insurance that all will fit, without getting too high above the bore. I might have gotten away with 30 mm, and one could argue that I should wait, use the penny stack to figure out what I actually needed. But, availability of rings is touch and go. I would much rather have something in hand that will work, rather than finding myself waiting unpredictable weeks while supplies are replenished for the perfect height.

I was in there a few weeks back and they did have quite a bit in stock in regards to bolt guns and LR optics. Im guessing you went with a Curtis action and a MPA chassis seeing how that's the majority of what they sell?

I was in there a few weeks back and they did have quite a bit in stock in regards to bolt guns and LR optics. Im guessing you went with a Curtis action and a MPA chassis seeing how that's the majority of what they sell?
MPA Comp BA LH chassis set up, yes. Action=Big Horn TL3 LH 6.5 Creedmoor.
Proof Research SS 26" M24 Contour threaded barrel.

Reactions: tex68w
Thanks! I figured 30 mm was cutting it too close. Which, is a solid.argument for waiting if 2 mm too high makes a discernable difference. I am just learning. Thanks for your comments!