• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 375 cal 350 gr?

Re: 375 cal 350 gr?

No, we're kind of interested in seeing or hearing of people who have used the 350gr Sierra Matchking out of the 375 Cheytacs and such on big game.

there was a post of someone a while back shooting an Elk at like 1400 meters isong a 375 thought it was a 350 SMK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, we're kind of interested in seeing or hearing of people who have used the 350gr Sierra Matchking out of the 375 Cheytacs and such on big game. </div></div>

I used these bullets in my 375 tejas, my daughter killed a elk and the exit hole was about the size of a quarter. I killed a deer the first shot behind the shoulder exit hole was the size of a quarter {very little bloodshot on both broadside shots} and the kill shot to the head blew off the top of the head re-entered the shoulder with a 4" entance and exited out the hind quarter caliber size after smashing the pelvis and upper leg bone but I did find the intact hollow point tip broken off 3/8" long against the hide by the exit hole. I drilled out hollow point to .046" on the bullets to increase the chance of expansion. I dont believe this bullet will expand {only tumble} but it did kill both animals. My daughter later killed a doe with a hornady 300 spbt at 200 yards with a muzzle velocity of 3200 fps the exit hole was the size of a quarter entrance was just in front of the rear quarter exited just behind the front shoulder but the damage inside the guts looked like a grenade went off, the backbone was shattered for 10 inches and it was 8 inches above the bullets path of about 2 feet. Conclusion is im still looking for a hunting bullet for this rifle.

A couple of things to keep in mind. The standard twist of a .375 H&H is not quick enough for that long 350 gr SMK, so you may see some instability in an H&H chambered gun.

Another is that there is a theory among some long range hunters that it is best to try for a high shoulder hit, as that damages the spine and drops the animal on the spot. For that hit, it does not matter much if the bullet expands or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, we're kind of interested in seeing or hearing of people who have used the 350gr Sierra Matchking out of the 375 Cheytacs and such on big game. </div></div>

YUP! I do have a stock of the 370 grain Rocky Mountain bullets though.
Always concerned with the SMK consistancy on game from other's reports. Though no reports on this bullet in the Cheytac.
http://www.rmbullets.com/page7.html

We might just have to test them ourselves. The 300gr .338 SMK looks to be a great bullet on big game, but I have heard mixed reviews on some of the .308 caliber SMKs. My rifle should be done next month, so I will be trying them this year for sure!

A 375 and a handfull of antelope tags. Sounds like a party!

I do not know how many my boy and I have killed!!!! Just a few here.

whitetail425yds.jpg

SV102087.jpg

SV102095.jpg

SV102089.jpg

Kids002.jpg

0809271stbuck.jpg

SV100453.jpg

My back yard....LITERALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SV100434.jpg

SV100440.jpg

We had several go right through deer with a 375CT from 1076 to 1204 yards. There is NO expansion unless you connect with bone.