• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.375 Chey-tac bipod setup

110len

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2008
weatogue,CT
Since members on this site have helped me, I'm posting some pics (trying to at least) of my build in the hopes that it may lend some ideas to those contemplating similar endeavors.
Specs:
Lawton 8000, 1:11.5 LRB
McRee stock
RND bipod
Near Manufacturing Alpha Mount
PR 5-25

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

url]

url]

Re: .375 Chey-tac bipod setup

Thanks for posting your set-up.
Some of the pictures are very smal - could you make them bigger?
I also have a McRee stock in the works and would like a top mounted bi-pod like that.
great to see the side bracket on the McRee stock.

Cheers,

Master Diver

That's one of RND's over barrel bipod setups. It has a swivel function built into it but sits pretty high. He also makes one specifically for the EDM/Cheytac guns that fits over a barrel shroud (as many of you have seen). There's also a classic under the barrel mount as well as a split bipod (like I have on my SRS) that mounts individual legs on side rails. All use the same robust RND legs.

Good stuff!

This is precisely the degree of objective lens obstruction that degrades low light resolution.

"Damn you, photons!"

110len been there and done that, shoot me a pm and I'll tell you what your going to run into and how to fix. What Noel is saying Is very true.

Thanks for the new pictures
smile.gif

What contour is your barrel?
And what unimount is that you use for your PR?

Cheers,

Master Diver

contour is the M-310 by Lawton and the mount is Richard Near's Alpha Mount
Len

Noel,
I was concerned about this as well but I remembered some posts from back in August (08/19/09) where this design was pictured and it was mentioned that as long as the mass was 6 inches or greater from the objective, there was minimal or no light gathering degradation. No one at that time refuted the statement.If memory serves me well, you actually seemed to like the design
wink.gif
. I have not shot at dusk or dawn yet so I cannot comment.
Regards,
Len

Len,

I absolutely do like the vertical alignment mechanism concept. One of the hide members shipped an example of this model to me for examination some time back.

As novel as the suspension idea is, it does have some issues. The bearing surface has too much friction to be truely self-aligning, and as mentioned, it simply obstructs the objective lens too much. Moving it forward will help, but will not eliminate the problem.

I will PM you later today.

Best,
Noel

You can control the amount of friction with the knob on top. and it looks like he can lower the u shaped portion that the bipod attatches to with the screws on the side.

Jimmy,

You can only <span style="font-style: italic">increase</span> the amount of friction with the knob.

As far as obstruction height, take my word for it, you can not "adjust" it away.

So are you saying that it is "too tight" and not "loose"enough to swivel?

Jimmy,

If you have one of these to look at, you will see that the horizontal bearing surface, of the bipod body, is nearly eliminated in cutting the "swivel" slot. This means the remaining semi-vertical bearing is acted on excessively by rifle weight in a "wedge" arrangement. I suppose there are things which could be done to reduce friction, but it would never self-align.