• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

375 Chey Tac Build Questions.

XXXXX

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2013
I have a lot of questions about the 375 Chey Tac, and when I first joined this forum several hours ago, I made the mistake of posting those questions in the "bolt action section" instead of here.

So here goes:

(1) Best actions for a 375 CT? I prefer a repeating action but have been advised get a BAT and just have a single shot. Barnard Precision also makes a single shot 375 CT action.
So who makes the best repeating actions for the 375CT? Stiller makes one, but I am not sure of the quality/machining as they don't bragg about their machining precision on their website.

(2) Gun weight: How much is enough to mitigate recoil without adding un-needed bulk to the rifle? Of course I will be using a muzzle break, and while we're at it, is a 3 port break good enough or should I use the 5 port?? The 3 port is 3 inches long, the 5 port is 4 1/4 inches long.

(3) The original Chey Tac came/comes with a 29 inch barrel and 11.5 twist. For ELR, is there an advantage to a barrel of up to 32 inches long, and what twist actually works best at the 2,000 plus yards with 350-375 grain monolithic lathe turned bullets?

(4) Stock design: who makes high quality stocks with cheekpeices that are adjustable for cast off? Steyr does this with a saddle type cheekpeice that has two screws in the top of the cheekpeice that pass through a slot in the cheekpeice that is 1/2 inch wide left to right. Just slide the cheekpeice left or right, to where you want it, then tighten the screws and your done. But I am also looking for a rifle stock that doesn'nt look like a typical composite sporting rifle stock with and adjustable buttstock. I like the kind that look more tactical, such as on the Barrett MRAD. Who makes such a stock?

(5) What kind of reamers work best for ELR with the 375CT? I am willing to shoot the longet bullets I can get.

(6) Rifling twist: For the 350-370 or heavier (if they exist) bullets, I have heard of twist rates as tight as 1:7.75 inches, and Dan Lilja of Lilja barrels offers 9, 10, and 12 twist in 375 caliber. So what kind of twist are you 375 CT shooters getting the best ELR results out of, and with what bullets?

(7) I'd love to see some pics of your rifles in 375CT. It will be inspiring and will give me some ideas visually of what I may want. Thanks.

Re: 375 Chey Tac Build Questions.

I will say this about David Viers and Black Diamond Rifles when he builds you a custom rifle it will shoot lights out and the quality is second to none. He is in my humble opinion the best in the business, both in his craft and his spirit.Thank,s again Dave for my 375 Snipetac.

Stocks- take a look at the Ashbury Presicion Super Sport chassis in 375ct, another good chassis is the XLR, and Mcree.

Barrel- I think lilja would be your best choice in the 375, pick the bullet you want to shoot and call the manufacture or read the recommended twist for that bullet and get a barrel according to that spec. Cutting Edge Bullets make some great high BC projectiles for the 375.

Actions- I don't think you can go wrong with the larger diam. Stiller 408 tactical, they make excellent actions and it would allow you to go with a repeater if you decide to go that route.

Other considerations will be an optic capable to take you past 2000yds and a mount system with enough moa to accomplish this too, prob minimum of 30 moa base or 1 piece mount such as Spuhr.

Like others have said Dave would be your man with plenty of expierance for your build.

I thought I had read here (or accurate shooter.com) that there are problems with recent Lila barrels. I'll second the chassis from XLR Industries. Kyle is on this board a lot so you can pm him here easily.

I just did a search and read the lilja thread, wow!
Looks like I'll stay clear of them.

Not sure if Brux or Rock creek do 375 or not but would be great choices, bartlein is not doing 375 anymore. I really like my Lothar Walthers but not everyone is a button fan.

To the OP, looks like you need to contact Robert Snider of RWS Gunsmithing. He can build you exactly what you're wanting, and probably has all components in stock.
I just received a 408 barreled action from him, and his work is Top Shelf! Prices and wait period are good too.
Robert's a vender here on the hide, so just look him up.
Take care,
Phillip