• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375 H&H threading & muzzle break question

a1-equipment

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2007
Salem VA
Planning on doing a hunt in Zambia next year. Who would be a good shop to thread a Sako av in 375h&h and what muzzle breaks work well those type calibers?

Take hearing protection for you, your pro-hunter, and a tracker or two.

Electronic, so you can hear the PHs whispers, he can hear you, but when it comes time to free the beast you're all protected.

I just had a normal no name smith thread and install the muzzle brake on my 458 lott, it doesn't tend to be rocket surgery.

The muzzle brake of choice will depend upon what you want, you may not need a ton of recoil reduction on a gun like that and therefore may decide small and light is what you want for the brake, maybe you go with something like the TI Pro "the chub," little 2 port titanium brake.
Other hand, maybe you don't care, you want recoil gone, and you go with their huge several port magnum brake.

Or other brands, my 458 lott wears a Witt Machine.

Also, do you want ports to assist with muzzle rise, ports on top of the brake, if so, well, that affects where to look as well.

So, the brake can be personal choice, there shouldn't be an issue in having the gunsmith bore it out for the 375, 375 isn't super big, like, for example, finding a brake for my 500 S&W without going with a crazy huge 50bmg brake.

Which, by the way, that 500 S&W wears that TI Pro chub 2 port, which is why I know about them, works and is ridiculously light.

So, JP recoil eliminator, Terminator muzzle brakes, TI Pro, Witt Machine, heck even the new age things with tuners on them, take a look and find one that has the features you want.

My Witt Machine is just labeled "custom threaded muzzle brake," works... she works, isn't overly huge. Is there something else that's better, I'm sure, but outside of testing a bunch, how will I know...

*** Something I just thought of, does your 375 have a barrel band front sight? If so, that'll have to be removed and it should be soldered on, and will have to be installed and soldered back on, which I had to do with my 458 lott and it was expensive.

If I did it again I would have sent it straight to NECG, who makes sights for these rifles, and I would have got their masterpiece barrel band front sight to replace the stock one on my CZ.
The cost to have the stock sight re-installed was enough that adding the little bit more for the NECG masterpiece where I'd have more front bead options would have been well worth it.

So, I don't know what their lead time is like, but NECG would be a good option especially if that is a barrel band sight that needs to be moved and re-soldered on. And again, I'd consider looking at their front sights and the bead options for them, you may find it's worth it to get one of their sights and beads while you're at it.

However, again, my no name gunsmith did it, and all is well so far... It's amazing because they screwed a lot of shit up on my handguns. Lucky for the rifle

Have you shot that rifle as is? 375's have been shot for decades without brakes and my 375 H&H (Weatherby Mark V) is plenty shootable.

Not trying to turn this into a tough guy discussion, but a good recoil pad goes a long ways on these rifles and won't have the PH cussing under his breath

Reactions: Average guy
Speaking of which, I have the Falconstrike hydraulic recoil pad on mine.
I had the limbsaver Nitro on it prior to that. Nitro for Nitro Express, it's their big bore Africa pad.

This current hydraulic deal was $200 or so.

I like the Nitro enough that I bought another one and it will go on that gun and this hydraulic pad will get tossed.

So, yes, you may consider a new recoil pad to try as well, I have certainly liked the Limbsaver Nitro, I "just had to" try out the crazy hydraulic thing because I'm kind of a "ahh what the hell I'll try it" kind of guy sometimes.

It's fine, but, Limbsaver Nitro is where I'd go and where I did go, I got the new one about 18" away from me right now, ready to install.