• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375 H&H

jrl5678

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2010
TX, Harris
I am not sure where to post this but I am wondering if anyone uses the 375 H&H for long range shooting?

Re: 375 H&H

Though I'm a Big fan of the 375H&H for its' intended purpose, I would think that it would be too painful to shoot long strings?...

It may even cause one to flinch, and Jacob can testify that I have a "World Class flinch", so I know a little of what I speak....

Cheers,

Bill

I have a 375 on my Encore for the Mississippi "primative weapons" season. I am shooting double tap 260gr accubonds at 2900fps. I have shot it to 800 yds and it shoots great that far out. It is just a great big accubond and it flys really well. At 600 yds I shot a 3 shot 3" group, at 800 I only shot twice but both hits were within 4 or 5 inches shooting at a 3" circle, one on one side the one on the other side of bulls eye. Recoil is not bad at all and it hits extremely hard on whatever you shoot!

I love my Wincherster, 375 H&H, it's pretty dern accurate, but I'm not ready to lay down on the 1000 yard firing line and shoot a match. It could do it, I couldn't.

I have a custom .375 H&H, specially built for long range. I just wanted to see what the cartridge could do. Heavy stainless barrel, prone style fiberglass stock, custom trigger. The rifle weighs a total of about 16.5 pounds including scope. I wanted it to be heavy to lessen the recoil. The rifle is quite comfortable to shoot. I have shot it no further than 425 yards so far, prone, using a bipod, but at that distance, 5 shot groups are 1.5" or less using Federal factory loads with 300 grain Nosler Partitions. Before shooting this rifle, I had not thought that this cartridge had a chance of doing that well, but live and learn...lol.

I do most of my hunting with a 375 H&H recoil isn't that bad and it shoots around .5 at 100 yds with 270 gr. TSX's. I would think that in a 16 pound rifle and the appropriate base it should get out to 1000 yds and do it with authority.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJW117</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot a Ruger No 1 in 375 H&H once...that was enough for me.</div></div>

I have a Ruger No 1 in 45-70 and it kick infinately more than my model 700 375 H&H

This is probably not the right location - you are in semi-auto rifles. Maybe bolt guns?

Anyway, the 375H&H has a lot of potential as a LR rifle. We have played with it at the sportsman's markmanship class, just to see how far a sport might take an ethical shot at an animal, in say, Africa or Alaska.

Based on the ballistics, it is pretty good, for that. Based on the recoil for a 20 or 30 round string..... not so much. I shoot a 375 H&H myself and have rang 1 and 2 MOA steel out to 500 yards. But.... I worked up the dope over a several day period, no more than 20/day. All shot sitting at a table, with lots of bags to hold the rifle, no bags for recoil. Mainly let the upper body absorb the push ( it's a pretty heavy CZ 550 ). Most folks will develop a pretty good flinch after more than that, some bring a pretty good flinch with them. You can build your tolerance some, but there are limits.

If you need some ballistics, the iphone programs are pretty close for the Federal Barnes TSX loads. Hard part is finding a scope that works for you. Not the time for a cheapie with tight eye relief.

put a Nightforce on it and you want have any issues with your scope. It helps with hits at over 300 yds as well, just dial up!

you can also load up the 350gr MatchKings into them and also the solids if you have a fast enough twist. Yes it will get you to 1000 yards but a 338 with 300gr MatchKing will eat it the case just is not big enough to make it a long range performer. we shoot 223's to 1000 yards all the time because the class is limited to 308's and 223's with restricted projectiles and the 223 will shoot it but the 308 will always be better just because you can does not meen you have to but whatever floats your boat knock yourself out.

Are there any 375 H&H semi Autos?
If this thread needs to be moved to the Bolt forum that's fine.

no semiautos that I've heard.

375H&H headspaces off the belt, the shoulder can't support it. I'd go with a 375 RUM or 375 Ruger. I headspace my 7mm Mag off the shoulder. H&H uses magnum action. The Ruger uses 30-06 (long action) with magnum boltface.

If you stay with H&H, try R15. I use Varget for the small 225gr Hornady. But 4350 for 270 and 300. Also, the 350 SMK is not standard run bullet, but available.

I used a 375 H&H for years as my all around rifle.
I even shot dall sheep with it.
As far as long range the round has lots of potential, especially when used in conjunction with a laser rangefinder.
The 300gr Sierras were really accurate, the 300gr Nosler partitions great medicine for big bears.

I have a 375 H&H in my R84 Blaser platform. It has a muzzle brake on it that helps to lessen the felt recoil. I still only shoot it at the end of a range session, and then only once in a great while. Another factor is the cost of the ammo. $50 a box is standard and I have paid much more than that for top grade ammo, as the Barnes or Federal. I bought it from a fellow who used it and a 7mm Remington magnum as his two caliber choices to hunt African game.