• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

375 Ruger

toe42

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2012
I have a howa 1500 standard long action and thought about putting a .375 Ruger barrel on it for BIG game animals. I have always wanted a "big boy" rifle as I put it. Any body played with one of these guns? What are they like?

Re: 375 Ruger

Howa makes a great rifle. We put together a 375 Ruger on a Mauser 98 action. Rifle had muzzlebrake and recoil is not bad. Actual velocity is a little higher than 375H&H.

I should have one in about a week just orderd the savage Alaskan brush hunter about an hour ago, that said I have shot them and recoil is not bad for me anyway, I think a 338wm hurts a lot more than the ruger Alaskan I shot.

I have the Alaskan model, but have not shot it yet. Action cycles well. The caliber has a good reputation for being efficient. Ruger Alaskan has come in 20" and 23" barrels. I would think that 22" would be a nice compromise for typical terrain.

I will probably put one of these on it, though:
http://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressors/brevis-5-5mm-375-cal-magnum-suppressor

LegioX, SH member, has one ordered for his 375 H&H. Looking forward to a report. This would work well on the 20" barrel.

I am very curious to see how this cartridge performs. It's either 375 r or just a 30-06. That round will kill just about anything I bet

I have the alaskan model and have fired hornady ammo and handloads. everything shot under 1 MOA. I have settled on 260 accs at 2550 fps. I put a 1x4 leupy. I also changed the stock to a full aluminum chasis Hogue stock. I can get the recipe for for the loads if you need them.

What is your reloading data? I recently purchased one, but did not like the rubbery stock. I ordered a McMillan, and it feels much better. The comb is at least 1/4" higher, and the rifle now fits very well.

RugerAlaskan008.jpg

The 375 Ruger is an excellent round. My daddy in law has one and on our hunting trips it is a performer unlike anything else in camp. Drops moose like they have been unplugged.

375 Ruger: 20"bbl
260 accs
RL-15 74.5gr.
Primer: WLRM
2750 fps
OAL: 3.330

375 Ruger: 20" bbl
300 Partition
H4350 79.5gr
Primer: WLRM
2525 fps
OAL: 3.290

CASES trimmed to 2.580"
NO crimp on the bullet!!!!!
I believe all groups that day were below an 1" with all handloads and
Hornadys 270 sp...

Both of these loads run about in the middle. Not too hot but around mild-in the middle. No pressure signs. Some of the first cases has 3 loadings on the brass. Brass does not show the pressure as well. My 375 could take more powder up (1.5 gr) for the 260 accs or 300 partition. That would be standing on it and not sure that I need it. My ruger grouped all powder charges well that day to include Hornady 270's... From sources that I had in my notes. I am probably losing a little less than 100 fps to the 23" Ruger 375 African.

Load design by Mike - damn fine man

Hope this helps,

Mr. Pickle,

Thanks for the recipe. I will start a little lower, just to be sure. 1" is impressive, Ruger must be doing a great job. The 20" barrel certainly swings well, feels like a favorite rifle and I have not even shot it yet.

The recoil will be interesting, hope to keep any bench time to a minimum.

-Steve