• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375CT or 338LM - with certain factors to consider herein

ohsmily

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2005
Sacramento
Let me start by saying I've done substantial research on the differences between the two cartridges including cost and performance. I am an experienced shooter and reloader (though not with extreme long range). I have owned a 338 LM in the past in a Sako TRG-42. I sold it years ago because I didn't have access to a long enough range to warrant the 338LM at the time.

I now have ready access to about 1500-1600M. I would rarely have access to longer distances but would from time to time. I recognize that this range is within the effective envelope of 338LM.

I am not cost/price sensitive. I recognize that it will be approximately 1.5x to 2x more per round (I reload, of course) for 375CT v. 338LM.

The rifle will be similar in price (Cadex CDX-33 Kraken v. CDX-40 Shadow)...7 month wait either way.

Given the foregoing, what arguments are there against getting the 375CT over the 338LM just to have it for those occasions when I may be able stretch way out? In essence, why not have the greater potential rifle if cost is not a factor. I will not be hunting with either setup nor do I plan to carry it around in the field.

I already have several capable bolt guns in 308 (never went the 6.5 CM route). Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
Simply put, if you plan on wanting repeatability past 2K yards then go with the Cheytac. And that's just a baseline. If you think you'll never shoot past the 2K mark the .338LM will do just fine. In any caliber at ELR, your reloading skills become a major factor. You could have the most accurate rifle in the world, but if you feed it factory or shitty handloads (Poor SD) your wasting time and money. Spotting bullet impacts at distance is another major factor. Bigger the bullet, easier to see the impacts. If you can't spot your misses, you can't make corrections.

Reactions: ohsmily
Skip a .375 Cadex rifle and get a custom built .300NM.

The Norma is very capable to 1500-1600M and beyond. Excellent ballistics, a lot less recoil and although you say cost isn't a factor, it's nice to not have to pay as much for each trigger pull.

The Cheytac is pretty overkill for 1500-1600M. You will probably need to invest in a new reloading press to accommodate that size of cartridge. You will be able to shoot more rounds of .300NM in a session then a .375. Cadex rifles are purpose built military rifles, they are not designed for the consumer ELR market (there are a few tweaks that would need to be made to the rifle to make it better suited for ELR).

IMO, a custom built rifle in .300NM is better suited for your application.

looking at the not price sensitive factor, but listing multi cal and all. Tubb just listed on facebook that his new rifle is capable of 375ct (single feed), mag feed multi cal 338lm down to 308 bolt face rds. not sure on release date, but he has been field testing for a while, info is on his facebook and website. give you a little bit of everything i guess.

but yeah. 1500-1600 300wm or 300nm, no issues. depends on how easy you want it to be and how much flexibility you want down the road on a dedicated bigger/heavier CT only or something more modular.

Thank you for all the feedback. I decided to get a Cadex CDX-40 Shadow in 375 CheyTac with a 32" 1:10 5R barrel (Bartlein). This barrel should stabilize 350 to 380 grain solids in addition to the 350 SMKs. If I choose to go with heavier/longer bullets, I can rebarrel with a 1:8 or faster at a later time.