• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

38 and my wify wants me to reinlist

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2010
san jose ca
I guess its time to get back in shape. Im 5'10" and at the moment 240. Just fat and nasty. What would you all do to drop 50 lbs in two mths.

Re: 38 and my wify wants me to reinlist

You are kidding right?? 50 pounds in 2 months?? "IF" you managed to do that... you would be so freakin weak you wouldn't be able to force out a fart.

All I can say is... best of luck to ya... you are gonna need it!!

DK

the doc told me to get circumsized, but that might not be for you.... been kinda in the same boat though, i recently PCS'd with about a month and a half of leave in-between. i'm 5'10 and was 250 lbs, long story short commander told me "get off your fat ass, or your getting the boot" the only advice i can offer is screen what you eat, extremely high intensity in the morning (as it will help throughout the day) and drink a shit ton of water, other than that there is no magic way to drop weight that fast unless you don't do any kind of activity throughout your day.

Already been cut last year. Going to give it a go. To bad i wont be going back to the corps. Well see what the cough"army has to offer". I guess its a good thang to have a LT Col. as a good friend.

I have a good buddy who is a lifting fanatic, real big power lifer type guy. He was always huge and freakishly strong, but always had a gut. A couple years ago he wanted to try the body for life program and talked two of us into it. I was not too into it at first, but it was great.

It is basically a 12 week cardio/weight routine, with nutrition program. Man I am here to tell you, if you FOLLOW that program for 12 weeks you will be amazed.
The nutrition plan is great, no starving, you are always eating, small meals with snacks in between. It really will change the way you eat. No bird food, just a bunch of good recipes. My wife still loves the "eating for life" cook book as well. You still eat all the real foods beef, fish, chicken, rice, pasta, potatoes, vegetables. No rice cakes and tofu starvation crap.

Work outs were intense but fast. I modified my cardio routine a little. Three of us did it together, so a couple shit talking buddies will definitely help keep the fire going. basically you follow the routine six days a week, then a day off , eat what you want, relax for a day.

That whipped my ass in shape quick. There are a ton of great programs around now a days, but persistence is the key. If you are interested in more info, shoot me a PM. I just gathered all the charts and info up again for a few guys I work with.
50lbs in two months, you would need to come to Alaska and chase goats with me.....for a month at least.

I would strongly suggest that you invest in the P90X program (and stick with it like your life depended on it), start taking a thermogenic weight-loss pill (only with your doctor's approval, of course), and learn to love running and rucking.

Just don't overtrain yourself...

You all know us marines we have that get it done attitude. Some times its not so good. How ever I will take all this info and get it done.

You might have a hard time getting into the "cough" Army with your stats. We have been kicking out PT and height/weight failures left and right the past 12 months. Honestly I'm loving it. Since the GWOT started the level of soldier has diminished greatly just to make numbers. Now we're getting the guys out who never should have been here. About a year ago the Army really started to tighten it's belt.

You said you were cut, is this meaning you were chaptered from the Corp? What kind of discharge you received will also make a huge difference. Not trying to sound like a dick, just hard facts. We're kinda full up. Hell we're not even letting E-4 and below 11B's re-up right now. Now that's fucked up.

I have had a my nuts cut.
frown.gif
but I got my four boys so no big deal. I left the corps a E3. About ten years ago. I was discharged with orb according to my DD214. I was on the verg of the big D with the wife. And well the rest is history. Like I said before I have a good friend that is a LT. Col in the army he is going to pull some strings for me.

You would thank that you would want your best assets to reinlist. Make it benefit the army they are already spun up and ready to deploy.

If youre trying to lose that in 2 months the course of action I would take is
1. Diet watch everything cut out everything but whats good.
2. cardio 6 days a week at youre age I say swimming.
3. stair machine 3/4 times a week (I hate that machine)
4. As far as weight training I would concentrate on cardio for at least 2/3 weeks before any lifting especially if you have been stagnant for some time be careful if you get injured you may not get a second shot.
If you dont like these ideas I have one more that will work in
a pinch
Drink old style and ex lax nothing else for a week That will drop weight quick.
GOOD LUCK!!

do it for your kids and for yourself.50lbs is alot of weight to loss in two months,why not give yourself 6 months instead.if you starve yourself you will loss muscle first then fat not good.now drop down and give me twenty you fat body.USMC 1976-1983 3051 in the rear with the gear

I just dropped 20 pounds in 4 weeks....here's my plan...

1) Completely cut all sugar drinks out from diet...only drink water now...

2) cut all fried & all processed food & all junk food...keep bread intake to a minimum...

3) Keeping my meals to very small "palm" size quantity..chicken, fish...fresh veggies...etc. Eating 5 to 6 times through out the day...

4) EXERCISING! Running, weights, biking...just do something.

Don't think 50 lbs is likely in 2 months, but give it a go!!

Thanks to all that posted up. Going to give it a try I will post pics when I get started.

Ketosis and exercise would be about the only way to realistically lose that much weight in 2 months.

Well that's not entirely true, there is surgery but that may disqualify you?

0481 I'm rooting for you but ain't gonna lie- sort of sad that you let yourself go.
I expect more from all Marines, former or current. Its cause I'm the daughter of a Marine, and my father is an example of what I consider to be a REAL MARINE... at 72 he still has a washboard/six pack.

With all due respect, I didn't marry a soldier but if my husband had been former military- (I would probably ONLY marry a Marine), I'd expect him to maintain his fitness!!!

Get it done. Quit asking, quit reading -- get out there running in the hot weather-- do some two a days!!! You can do it. I have faith in your inner Marine!

50 lbs in 8 weeks is 6 pounds a week. A pound on the body is about 3500 calories. To lose 50 pounds in 8 weeks, every day you would need to burn ~3000 calories more than you take in. 3000 calories is a 20 mile jog.

Go back to your roots Marine,when I got to PI Boot Camp I was 210 lbs. and when I left I was 175 lbs....Just go back to the basic's of what you already no and you will be back to that PT stud from the past.

For myself I'm way out of shape and all thats going to change.No more of that fast food shit and soda's is frist,I'm going to look at it as a Cave Man and eat as organic as possible with fresh Veg., fruits,fish and lean beef and a shit ton of water.

Good luck and Semper Fi....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go back to your roots Marine,when I got to PI Boot Camp For myself I'm way out of shape and all thats going to change.
I'm going to look at it as a Cave Man.
</div></div>

Way to go!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0481</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess its time to get back in shape. Im 5'10" and at the moment 240. Just fat and nasty. What would you all do to drop 50 lbs in two mths. </div></div>

1. DO NOT train the same way you did at age 18 or you will blow out your joints.

2. Adopt a low carb diet. Less than 10 carbs per day and at least 1 gallon of water per day. Fat guys burn fat like crazy on that.

3. Do TWO (2) (not uno, but dos) 30-45 min fat burning cardio workouts per day. A fat burning workout is NOT a sprint. It can be on an elliptical, walking etc. Keep the pace to where you can talk. If you are using so much air that you cannot talk, you are above a fat burning pace into regular aerobics.

4. Lift weights (one to two sets per muscle group) 2 to 3 times per week. Go for high reps, such as 15 to 20 per set. Do not try to max the weight. This really helps the muscles to burn fat.

Once you are down by 50 pounds you can re-evaluate and see what parts of physical fitness you want to work on.

Remember to drink a minimum of a gallon of water per day because fat has all kinds of nasty crap stored in it which will enter your blood and make you feel like crap unless you can piss it out. The body uses fat to ioslate toxins, and you are going to have to pee those toxins out. Also, your liver needs the water for the chemical reaction that burns fat.

Good luck!!

I think She just wants her Marine back,I had a hard time adapting to the civie world and there's not a day goes by that I don't think about the Corps.If they said pack your seabag and report in I would run my fat ass down and jump on the bus and give up all my VA benefits just to wear the uniform again.

If you lose 50 pounds in 2 months to stay in the military your commander will probably ask you for a UA!

That's way unhealthy. It can be done but you're pretty much have to starve yourself.

If your wife wants you to reenlist so bad, she should join! I'm broke as hell in only 4 years. Going through a medboard now. But everyone gets the choice to stay in. Just make it yourself or youll regret it and have resentment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ranger School</div></div>

LOL, yeah.

If my wife told me to reenlist, I'd be looking at the real reasons: am I too fat/broke/shaggy/etc? I bet if you dropped the pounds and made $1 more per year than you would reenlisting, she wouldn't want you to do it... unless she also wants you out of the house A LOT more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Archer762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ranger School</div></div>

LOL, yeah.

If my wife told me to reenlist, I'd be looking at the real reasons: am I too fat/broke/shaggy/etc? I bet if you dropped the pounds and made $1 more per year than you would reenlisting, she wouldn't want you to do it... unless she also wants you out of the house A LOT more. </div></div>

This.

Lap bands will probably medical invalidate you. However, Lipo is recovered from in a week or so - which is probably more healthy than trying to drop 5 a week (average weight loss is 1.4-2.7 lbs/week) also (I am not a surgeon, so can't quite give you precise recovery times on Lipo.)One further thought, if you do seriously consider lipo/laps - keep in mind it handles your weight issue, but does nothing for your fitness/conditioning.

I will ease off (being new around here) on casting aspersions on your wifes motivations, but my mind went directly in line with some of the above folks when I read this.

Other than that, the above is good advice, combining BFL with P90 for the cardio days, would be great. Or some combination including 2xday cardio, with BFL diet. Unfortunately, while generic programs are great for the masses, to do this well, requires tailoring for your personal metabolism and current fitness. You may want to see a super qualified (not the bozo kid at the local gym) trainer/physio/nutritionist to get some assessments done and tailor a program.

make sure your doing it for the right reasons military life is hard on the family trust me i been in the army now for 10 years and i have seen alot of my men have problems in there family life so do some soul searching as well make sure this is what you want as for me i love the army

Learn about Paleo and follow the eating suggestions. It is not too tough and you still get to eat good food. If you couple this with a good fitness plan (I and many others use CrossFit), you will lean out quickly. The tough part will be eating correctly every day and maintaining your motivation to get the workouts done. Getting involved in a group like a CrossFit gym will be the best thing to help you since you will have others motivating you and will give you grief when you don't show up. On a side note, I am in my 40's and am lean, can still max the 17-21 age group PFT and do a 12 mile ruck in under 2 1/2 hours. This stuff is easy to me even though I am an "old man" now and I believe CF is the reason. I can stay lean and still have plenty of energy with Paleo. Lastly, I am not suggesting that you will lose the 50lbs in your time frame but I do believe that you can have significant gains (loss) with an increased fitness level without becoming weak.

look up a book called rapid fat loss by lyle mcdonald. its the most powerful diet ive ever tried out and it will work if you follow it.

try INSANITY i was losing 2.5 a week only running the program 3 days a week instead of 6.

Marriage/fitness advice: show her you take her concerns seriously. Make a commitment to change. My wife read me the riot act about being a lazy sack. I ended up with a brown belt in kempo and a happier wife.

In my opinon, dropping 50 pounds is a long term commitment; don't try and get it off all at once. If you're making the effort, your wife will notice and may cut you some slack. It took me months to drop 35 pounds, but it's still gone.

I dropped 50 pounds in just shy of 6 months. 227 down to 172.
The thing you have to be careful of is loosing muscle mass. Rapid weight loss is "un targeted" .

I then put on about 35 pounds of lean mass - mucho harder to do IMO.

You wife will be kissing your ass because women will check you out at the mall. It a tough way to get all the blow jobs you always wanted, but it works
smile.gif

The Army isnt hiring right now. TOO many people are trying to get in and they have already met thier requirements. If you are even a little out of tolerance they will not accept you. Furthmore with the future budget cuts, they are going to be hiring less and less to get the force down some 50k people.

You might try some vitamin S. I've heard that works...

as a former Recruiter I would tell you to concentrate on the Body Fat% rather than the weight. at 39, the same age as myself you are allowed 24% body fat. work on losing your gut and building your neck. 50 pounds is way too much weight to think about in 2 months but 30LBS and 23% BF is doable. You need to look at all of your options, you are PS so your job selection is going to SUCK. The LTC friend you have doesn't have SHIT to do with MEPS so don't rely on him because he can't do anything for you when it comes to processing. What's the "RE" code on your 214? if its a 3 or 4 I would be looking for a new option. Not trying to bust your bubble just giving you the facts.

start lifting lift heavy , and get your diet sorted out and you will be surprised how fast you get into shape .

I don't think you will be able to drop 50lb in two month's but best of luck to you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 375snot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might try some vitamin S. I've heard that works... </div></div>

Vitamin S as in AAS ?

don't think that is a good idea for someone who is in op's shape .