• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns .38 special bullet test

500grains

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
dirt nap
gun: S&W J frame 2" .38

subject: deer chest, entering through the sternum and lodging under the hide near the spine

round 1: 148 grain hollow base wadcutter loaded backwards

round 2: Speer 125 grain Gold Dot JHP +P

011but.jpg

Re: .38 special bullet test

Also interested in penetration depths. If that wad cutter penetrated ~12-14" it might be a viable option.

They both stopped under the hide on the back. I did not measure penetration but I would estimate 10 to 12 inches. Keep in mind that the bullets went through lung which offer little resistance.

That looks impressive, but you have to wonder why no one offers that as a factory loading. You'd think, if the results are like that every time, at least Black Hills, who doesn't make bullets and so has no prejudice towards one or the other, would load and offer it.

500G once told me that "Shooting wadcutters backwards will blow out the forcing cone and ruin the gun."

I don't know if he was talking about revolvers or his dysentery as a world traveler.