• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.38 Super Favorite Receipies

bluecruiser1974

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2010
Would love to hear you favorite .38 Super receipes.I will mostly be reloading for range practice. Thanks in advance

Re: .38 Super Favorite Receipies

.38 Super -- very gun-specific.
Obviously with .38 Super still dominating the USPSA/IPSC Open class, there are many recipes available.
I would suggest you check out the advice on Brian Enos's site to see what all is happening.
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

For me, I am an Open shooter and shoot 50K .38 SuperComp (rimless) per year or so. But, keep in mind I'm shooting a customized STI with Trubore comp (slightly enlarged) + two barrel holes so I basically need to push pressures higher than if you're shooting out of a standard, non-comp'd 1911.
But, my current favorite is 7.2 gr. of IMR 7625 pushing a MontanaGold 124 gr. JHP (WSR, Starline or Armscor brass). Clean burning, fairly inexpensive powder, little flash, readily available, etc.
In fact, many of the top shooters use this basic recipe tweaked for their specific gun(s).
This chronos right at 170 pf through my Open guns (124 gr JHP x 1370 fps = 170000).
I shot VV for years (N350, 3N38) but the cost/availability was a problem for awhile -- good recoil impulse though although you tend to get more flash.
Disclaimer: again, I would check the IMR reloading guides though for a good starting charge if you're not shooting through a comp'd, supported chamber racegun.

Which bullets are you going to use? Is your gun comped? I shot 124 jacketed Sierra in some matches and 160 gr. lead conical bullets in others.My favorite was the 160 gr. behind 11 gr. of Bluedot. Hot load for ramped guns only. These loads only help if your shooting a compensated gun. As always, <span style="font-size: 14pt">[size:17pt]work your way up to these loads. ipscmaster</span>[/size]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ipscmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which bullets are you going to use? Is your gun comped? I shot 124 jacketed Sierra in some matches and 160 gr. lead conical bullets in others.My favorite was the <span style="font-weight: bold">160 gr. behind 11 gr. of Bluedot</span>. Hot load for ramped guns only. These loads only help if your shooting a compensated gun. As always, <span style="font-size: 14pt">[size:17pt]work your way up to these loads. ipscmaster</span>[/size] </div></div>

Out of curiosity, how did you get the bullet behind the powder? I've tried, but the powder just spills everywhere!

A friend, and IPSC shooter, uses .355 9mm 124 grain bullets with 7.8 grains of N350 to make major in his STI 1911 compensated.

Thanks, guntard..It was 7 gr. of Bluedot---NOT 11gr.. It has been way too long since I shot my super. I have been out of ipsc since 1994.I did not like the transition to the Dot for practical shooting. Plus I could no longer afford the sky rocketing prices for the New guns. Please accept my apology for giving the wrong load. That could prove dissastrous.
ipscmaster

Thanks for the info and sorry I didn't give you more to go on. I am shooting a Craig Fantom, here is an article on the gun http://www.fmgnews.com/HJF9864.pdf. It is a custom carry gun. The builder used to build and shoot ipsc and this was his version of a conceal carry gun. It is a custom version of a colt officer model. I use it for a carry gun and like to shot it at the range.

The extra data helps then. And a number of us have competed with Fred (and Jamie) Craig for years. They build a great gun and are good people.

Since you're not shooting a compensated, high pressure, competition-oriented gun I personally would rely upon the loads that you'll find in the various loading manuals, e.g., Sierra, Hornady, etc. My suspicion is that most of what you'll see on the internet is for the IPSC/USPSA application as evidenced by those of us who responded.

Bullet Choice: my bias is I'm not a fan of lead/cast bullets in .38 supers. (And being from the Bob Lee and Earl Swagger camp of why .38 super is such a great defense round, I really don't see the lead application from that perspective, i.e., wouldn't you want a JHP?).
Using jacketed bullets, I never have to wet clean my bore (maybe a few passes with a bore snake is sufficient). Note: this was after a couple of years of wet cleaning and then asking a few of the big-name pros what they do. All of them said "wet clean when you're shooting jacketed?..."
The two bullets that I like the best are the Montana Gold 124 gr. JHPs and the Hornady 121 gr. HAPs. Both are very accurate.

I have been shooting 16 gr Power Pistol with 158 gr 1.36" OAL with Win9x23mmWin brass in Tokarevs with converted 9mm barrels.

I would like to see anyone else shoot that an tell me the recoil does not hurt.

Not me.
The only question I have is "why?".
What are you using that load for? 100 yd handgun hunting shots of some sort. Ouch.