• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 380 for wife to carry.

Diamondback DB9. 9mm, 6 round mag, small, very thin and flat, shoots quite a accurate for me at 7 yds, not pricey, lifetime warranty and i have never had an issue with 400+ rounds. I can shoot 50 rounds pretty comfortably. I can carry all day IWB at 5 o’clock and forget it is there.

As small as it is, it not nearly as snappy as some. And blows away a Kahr.

As inexpensive as it was i was very hesitant to think it was a solid pistol, but its proven itself well. Its worth a look.

ZY

Another vote for taking the wife to a range with rentals and letting her pick after shooting multiple options.

As a general rule, pocket 380s suck to shoot. The only 380 handgun I have ever shot (and now own) that was half way fun to shoot is the Beretta 84 - the wider frame due to a double stack mag makes recoil much easier to manage, as does the extra weight, and 13+1 of 380 beats the pants off of 6-7+1.

Reactions: Snuby642
Had a IOU to cash in at a local dealer, So i guess technically it was around the $450 range
21806-you-are-fake-news.jpg

LCP. As small and light as they come, and that is the determining factor for many people. Reliable, which is the determining factor for me. Hi trigger pull weight is good for a self defense pistol. Semi-melted, so no snagging. She won't notice the recoil if she has to use it.

Reactions: clcustom1911
You couldnt give me a ruger autoloading carry pistol. Worst damn trigger i have ever attempted to fire. So bad, i thought the gun was broken. And it wasnt just that gun. Everyone of them i’ve handled were the same way. Trigger pull is WAY too long. Outragously so.

The only 380 that ever interested me is the browning black label. I’d have one...if it were not for the composite frame. not for concealed carry though...just to shoot.

Last edited:
Sig P238, 380 , can get extended magazines for these as well, thumb safety similar to a 1911. Very easy to rack the slide.
Very nice night sights also.

Reactions: gunman_7
Sig 230/232 or Sig 238 if she likes autos. Sig 230/232 is very simple to operate, small sized, shoots well, and is dependable.

However, @Missalot is right... take her shopping and let her pick some to try out.

LCP. As small and light as they come, and that is the determining factor for many people. Reliable, which is the determining factor for me. Hi trigger pull weight is good for a self defense pistol. Semi-melted, so no snagging. She won't notice the recoil if she has to use it.

OP -Does she care about recoil at all and is the decision only on the smallest pocket pistol in .380. Some of the choices like the LCP are pretty harsh recoiling (relatively) and will give a good palm massage and free acupressure treatment when fired :alien:

Reactions: Mike Islander
I have a question for you dudes that recommend ladies use j frame, how many of you are actually proficient shooting one? And how many of you can put more than 50 rounds down range without a sore hand. Or any Uber small gun? Now tell me fellas, does your wife have stronger hands than you? I know damn sure my wife doesn’t, I work with my hands 50hrs a week and I HATE shooting an Aluminium airweight. This idea that weak of mind and body women can’t work a semi auto is for men in their 70’S and 80’S. In 2019 A J FRAME IS NOT A LADY’S GUN. IT NEVER WAS. To the op. Does your wife shoot the shield well? If not change, if she runs the hell out of it but hates to carry it, make carrying it easier find a new holster Like someone local that makes kydex and can modify it for her if needed plus they usually come in patterns (my wife’s holster is Kate spade flowers and sea foam green,lol) buy her a new purse. Don’t switch to a lesser effective round, and smaller harder to operate weapon, that’s working backwards. I want my wife if attacked to be the meanest mother fucker in the valley so to speak. She carries a Glock 43 with a hyve mag extension with 147 hst on body and has a Glock 19 with the same ammo for her purse when her clothes are to tight or not allowing for a holster. (No belt, she is a nurse and works in scrubs).

Reactions: W54/XM-388
You don't have to make shooting a j-frame a chore.
We alternate handguns at the range.

Im going to download some range poofers so we can shoot more
38 from the small handgun.

If my woman could not rock a j-frame I would get a new instructor for her.

I am always amused by folks that insist the .380 isn't enough gun. The damn thing has been killing people since 1908.
Some of the loads are more potent than the .38 from a snubby.
That being said, yes, they lack penetration in most cases.
let's be realistic here, we are talking DEFENSIVE use of a sidearm. Not offensive, not running gun battles.
Someone standing in front of you, usually within 7 yards.
10" of penetration is sufficient in those scenarios. Just ask Curtis Reeves.
If you want something that is well built, slim profile with an excellent trigger, a good Colt Model 1908 is damn hard to beat.
I have the 1903 .32 acp, factory nickel and frequently carry it.
My typical off duty carry is a CZ83, double stack .380.

You don't have to make shooting a j-frame a chore.
We alternate handguns at the range.

Im going to download some range poofers so we can shoot more
38 from the small handgun.

If my woman could not rock a j-frame I would get a new instructor for her.
Range “poofers” actually hurt your training. You should become proficient with full power ammo In your defensive pistol. If the gun hurts to shoot, you’ll never be that proficient with it. Especially if you’re not a gun person. The best gun for your woman or you is one that has the best ballistics that you can shoot a lot and learn to shoot it well. In j frames follow up shots really matter when you only have 5 and unless your Jerry miculek I doubt your speed loader is faster than your auto mag change. That’s real important when you can’t hit the broad side of the barn, which most j frame shooters I see can’t.

Range “poofers” actually hurt your training. You should become proficient with full power ammo In your defensive pistol. If the gun hurts to shoot, you’ll never be that proficient with it. Especially if you’re not a gun person. The best gun for your woman or you is one that has the best ballistics that you can shoot a lot and learn to shoot it well. In j frames follow up shots really matter when you only have 5 and unless your Jerry miculek I doubt your speed loader is faster than your auto mag change. That’s real important when you can’t hit the broad side of the barn, which most j frame shooters I see can’t.
I disagree.
Trigger time is trigger time.
reinforcing fundamentals is important.
During a real event, you barely hear the muzzle report and you don't think about the recoil.
Many folks train with airsoft replicas specifically for the muscle memory and shooting fundamentals.
Low recoil ammunition is an excellent way to train.
If I were to take your assertion further, then .22 LR trainers are a waste of money, and many here would dispute that.

I disagree.
Trigger time is trigger time.
reinforcing fundamentals is important.
During a real event, you barely hear the muzzle report and you don't think about the recoil.
Many folks train with airsoft replicas specifically for the muscle memory and shooting fundamentals.
Low recoil ammunition is an excellent way to train.
If I were to take your assertion further, then .22 LR trainers are a waste of money, and many here would dispute that.
A shooting fundamental is recoil management . Idk what you shoot but I’d say the difference in my brake equipt short action heavy rifles and a 22 are closer in recoil than powder puff loads and defensive loads in an airweight. If you would like to practice speed loader changes with pp loads then yeah, that’s sounds like a great idea. but I would argue that you need to be proficient with it at a stationary target before you should think about that. Follow ups and double taps are very important in defensive pistol training and when your carry load quadruples the recoil, it might not be in your best interest to carry such a heavy recoiling pistol. Especially being a small handed/framed human. If you were to carry with light recoiling loads I’d damn sure want more than 5 of them,

^^^Totally disagree with this. When the adrenaline is flowing in a bad situation, she isn’t going to care that the gun had a sharp report. Her mind will be on other things. However, if she shoots that thing a lot with a sharp report, she can develop some bad habits, like flinching that may make her miss the target completely or not even carry at all because she doesn’t like it. Let her shoot mouse fart loads at the range, then load it up to carry. She will be glad she did.

You quote me then spew a lot of nonsense.

If you can't shoot good enough to run a jframe maybe you should carry a shotgun. I carry several different sizes brands and calibers.

Concealed and open carry if I feel like it, proficient with each.

I actually like to target shoot with the Snuby642 so downloads for target shooting are not in your wheelhouse, that's ok you will eventialy figure it out.

Stick with your narrow comfort zone so you are in your own little happy place.

I have probably been shooting jframes longer than you hae been alive.

Today I carried an xdm9 if that makes you feel better, tomorrow maybe 357 BBQ gun or a double stack 45 just because I can.

You quote me then spew a lot of nonsense.

If you can't shoot good enough to run a jframe maybe you should carry a shotgun. I carry several different sizes brands and calibers.

Concealed and open carry if I feel like it, proficient with each.

I actually like to target shoot with the Snuby642 so downloads for target shooting are not in your wheelhouse, that's ok you will eventialy figure it out.

Stick with your narrow comfort zone so you are in your own little happy place.

I have probably been shooting jframes longer than you hae been alive.

Today I carried an xdm9 if that makes you feel better, tomorrow maybe 357 BBQ gun or a double stack 45 just because I can.
You do you sir, did I address you correctly since you know everything because you’ve “been alive longer than I have, so I dont know shit?” Gimme a break the gun world has evolved since the 60’s. But since you mentioned it. How long have you been shooting a jframe? What makes it a good entry level pistol for defensive carry over another gun say a Glock 43 or a sig365? And gimme that ladies can’t rack a slide bullshit, they can rack a slide if they can pull a 12lb da trigger while getting a clean shot off. And if you really score that kind of group with a jframe, you are the exception not the norm I promise you that.

Last edited:
^^^Totally disagree with this. When the adrenaline is flowing in a bad situation, she isn’t going to care that the gun had a sharp report. Her mind will be on other things. However, if she shoots that thing a lot with a sharp report, she can develop some bad habits, like flinching that may make her miss the target completely or not even carry at all because she doesn’t like it. Let her shoot mouse fart loads at the range, then load it up to carry. She will be glad she did.
If she can’t handle the recoil and it makes her flinch and it’s not overcomable, (I don’t think that’s a word) it’s not the pistol for her. A Glock 43 Or something similar would be better suited in my opinion.

Omg did not know I had upset a glock fanboy.

Bonus points for the new year allready.

Girl that cuts my hair likes her 43 a lot.

Arguing that a jframe is a perfect choice would be stupid.
It is a dependable option some people are comfortable with.

Discounting a jframe as not a viable option shows lack of experience.

Spinning up glock fans is just a pastime, their fine I just didn't like gen one and went to different vendors.

Omg did not know I had upset a glock fanboy.

Bonus points for the new year allready.

Girl that cuts my hair likes her 43 a lot.

Arguing that a jframe is a perfect choice would be stupid.
It is a dependable option some people are comfortable with.

Discounting a jframe as not a viable option shows lack of experience.

Spinning up glock fans is just a pastime, their fine I just didn't like gen one and went to different vendors.
Do I get extra points because I ruffled up an old fudd that had to mention his bbq 357 or his xd he actually open carries? The thing about pointing fingers POPS is when you do there are 3 pointing back at you. I was referring to the type of pistol. I should have put a sig 365 or a shield since you love smith so much. Small light revolvers in 38spl suck for ladies to shoot. There is better options no matter the brand of revolver or autoloader. Happy new year btw

Something to think about is that the threats you face are evolving just like the weapons options you can now conceal.

For the longest time probably your biggest threat was basically the lone bad guy (maybe with a buddy) at pretty much contact range armed with a pistol, knife, club or muscles.

A decent small revolver that you could carry and even shoot through a jacket / purse made a lot of sense. Especially at ranges that you have to be a really special type to miss at.

Now however the threat is change to somebody with a rifle, "pistol" which might as well be a rifle or shotgun at a greater distance than before. Also that person may be wearing some sort of body armour, plates or just have a bunch of mags on their vest etc.

Now you need something that you can aim pretty well at up to 30+ feet or so, and that you can take several shots with and have a chance to make head shots / groin shots if a center mass shot doesn't work (or be able to do a headshot from the start).

Just like training for decades was to go with center mass shots first (and probably most state carry license tests still weigh towards that in scoring), but more recently you'll probably find a lot of people who watch the trends of crime closely, now train more for CNS shots as first round and then pelvis / thigh second. Then follow up shots as needed.

Reactions: Nimothy
Gee maybe I should get some training and learn how to operate one of those auto loader type pistols.

I own 4 times as many pistols as I do revolvers about the same with rifles and shotguns are an even mix of actions.

I am in constant contact with a large womans shooting group , they shoot weekly competitions and after laughing thier ass off at you explain that they are perfectly competent to run a snubnose. If you ask nice they could give you some lessons.

Fudd ?

You either are confused as to the definition (more lack of experience) or grossly misjudge people because of thier age.

Learn some respect for women shooters, maybe your elders while at it.

Upholding the Constitution is a job for all.

She should have a look at the Sig P938. I've tried all of thes subcompact guns and I prefer this over the Shield and the Glock 42/43. You should have your wife try it out. Lets her carry a 9mm with a package not much bigger than most .380s.

I'm old and little (65, 5'6"x 165 lbs) and with a bunch of praktizing I can handle my .338 RPR (barely). But I STILL don't like my S&W 442. I like my G42 and my Sig 365 a LOT better. Much better triggers.

Reactions: Nimothy
Gee maybe I should get some training and learn how to operate one of those auto loader type pistols.

I own 4 times as many pistols as I do revolvers about the same with rifles and shotguns are an even mix of actions.

I am in constant contact with a large womans shooting group , they shoot weekly competitions and after laughing thier ass off at you explain that they are perfectly competent to run a snubnose. If you ask nice they could give you some lessons.

Fudd ?

You either are confused as to the definition (more lack of experience) or grossly misjudge people because of thier age.

Learn some respect for women shooters, maybe your elders while at it.

Upholding the Constitution is a job for all.
So what you are saying is that women who shoot ALL the time are competent? Pops you continue to insult me because you think I’m young and inexperienced. Maybe it’s because you misjudge people because of their age. I have plenty of respect for elders and women, but I’ll let them know you white knighted for them. I’ll say, “ that old fudd snubby642 from snipers hide says hi and that’s he’s still fighting for your cause that he knows you can’t fight yourself.” Let me know how upholding the constitution works out for a guy who open carries a xd from that Illinois based benidict Arnold of a company.

You have no idea of the contempt
I hold for some Dallas punk that has mistakenly confused me with a fudd or someone who gives a shit of thier pubescent views.

You should stay in Dallas so as not to soil the rest of the state with stupidity.

I have some women friends in Dallas that would bitch slap you all the way to Rockwall for disrespect.

My wife probably weighs 180 Lbs. They filmed a movie called deliverance in her back yard where she grew up. She can pick up a seven year old boy with one hand. She was trained pretty well with pistols after she left the Marine Corp. Printing was the issue. Picked up the second series LCP and she is happy. She won’t go into a gunshop and “listen to a bunch of Texans talk about shit they don’t know” , “ just grab something smaller and make sure it works when you’re out fucking around.”
done
Thanks all.

You have no idea of the contempt
I hold for some Dallas punk that has mistakenly confused me with a fudd or someone who gives a shit of thier pubescent views.

You should stay in Dallas so as not to soil the rest of the state with stupidity.

I have some women friends in Dallas that would bitch slap you all the way to Rockwall for disrespect.
Come one pops don’t be petty, you can quote or tag me, i haven’t disrespected women. You disrespect women by thinking you have to white knight for them (they don’t like that usually, it’s pathetic). I honestly don’t know why my opinions hurt your feelings so much I didn’t think being called out would make you that upset. But then again boomers can’t be told anything..... they think the current situation in our country is because of millennials. Instead of being a generation of compliance and Constitutional right forfeiture the are the generation of “I support the second amendment......BUT”. It’s because of fudds like you with “a revolver is all you need, best for beginners, I can get it done with my five rounds” mentality that gives those who wish to trample our rights ammunition to do so. Now get some tissue I’m gonna say it again. REVOLVERS ARE NOT THE BEST OPTION FOR SELF DEFENSE, FOR ANYONE, especially small framed/handed humans. I’m done.

Ps. Dallas has a lot of faults but at least we can agree it’s not Houston (the butthole of the nation) or Austin that smells like weed and armpits. Can we agree on one thing?

My wife tried quite a few different 380s she chose the sig 238. She’s 5’2ish 110 lbs. just to give an idea.

She said it was the easiest slide to work and less muzzle flip than the others.