• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 4-16 or 6-24 Vortex Viper PST

Doyputasos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
Southern California
Just ordered a 4-16 Vortex Viper PST from OpticsPlanet. It wont be ready for a few more weeks however and this has given me the chance for some buyers remorse, sort of. I am putting this on my Savage 12 LRP in 260 and will mostly be shooting this at the range 500 yds and to 1K+. I will rarely be shooting some coyote and varmints, but probably only 5% of the time. Would any of you recommend that I order the 6-24 instead?

Thanks

Re: 4-16 or 6-24 Vortex Viper PST

I can give you my thoughts on some similar scopes. My 260 is the same gun you have with the vortex viper mil dot 6.5x20x50. I have the vortex 5x15 mil dot from Midway on my Savage model 10 max1 243. I shoot both at 1000 and while there is a difference power wise either one will work for what you want to do. Unless you are a superhero, I don't think you will be toting the LRP around in the woods but the lower magnification will be better for hunting. (Hopefully on a bipod) It's not very steady out the window on a permit hunt!

I have 2 of the 4-16 HS versions and they do everything that I need. I have taken them up to 700 and have taken moving game at 500Y. I can see out to 1000 and beyond, just havent had the opportunity to set up a target at 1000.

The reticle on both scopes(HS and PST) is thin enough not to obscure the target and the clarity is nice for the price. Honestly I keep my scope dialed down near 10x for most of my shooting as it is brighter and mirage can be unbearable in the summer (over 100 F).

IMHO the 4-16 will be perfect for 500 and even take you to 1000, but it really depends on the type of shooting you will be doing. We all like to say 1000, and if your range has steel set up at 1000, then sure a higher mag scope will do fine. I just find the smaller field of view and mirage annoying.

My point is you will be well served with the 4-16, but if you want higher mag I would look at the Razor or a NF, the PST and HS are nice but they are no NF.

I have the 4-16 on my competition .308...used it with great success from 17 to 1100 yards. I have never felt like I was under magnified and have milled a target past 600 yards and was told I was within 5 yards of the lasered distance.

I would say save the difference for ammo and not worry about it unless you want a big magnum for use past 1400 yards. As always though.....YMMV.