• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

4 groove vs 5 groove

jjones88

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2012
Just got my rifle back from the gunsmith and it appears to have a 4 grove barrel instead of the 5 grove that I had ordered. It is a 300 wsm, 28", amu contour, and I plan on running 215 Berger hybrids. Is there any performance loss with velocity or accuracy? Or does it really make any difference at all. All input is appreciated
confused.gif

Re: 4 groove vs 5 groove

As long as it's a good quality barrel, there's not going to be any empirical performance difference between a 4 or 5 groove barrel.

But if a 5-groove barrel is what was ordered and agreed to in writing, then the smith should make it right one way or the other.

As long as its a good barrel, it wont make a difference.

I don't think there's a 5 groove that could squeeze out anymore accuracy then my Brux 4 groove
smile.gif

I would find out what brand just so I know and then forget about it b/c it dosent matter. How does it shoot?

There is probably not a dollars worth of difference between the two. I have used 4, 5, and 6 groove barrels both cut and buttoned. As long as it is an A list manufacturer you should get good long service. Krieger's website says they see no difference with the 4 groove and 5R. Broughtons website says they are seeing longer barrel life and higher velocity with the 5C that they make. I've always been tickled pink with my 6 groove Harts.

I'm all for getting what you want but it is probably an honest mistake. If you have a good smith that has given you good service than I would not push the issue to the point of jeopardizing the relationship. Good smiths are too hard to find. My smith has finnally retired and I'm having to send all my stuff out of state now. It really sucks.

As stated in almost all posts already there have been no specific facts ever presented that any shoot better than the other. You can make 4 groove barrels shoot worse than 5 grooves if you just happen to load different or the throat is different or bullet seating depth is off from the other or even if the actual bore size is exactly the same to spec... I don't know anyone that would want to spend that much time and effort into checking all that vs. just going out and enjoying shooting. Talk to the smith about the barrel maybe get a few bucks back unless it shoots like crap... good luck.

My 6xc currently has a 5 groove Kreiger. It is crazy accurate and I have another 5 groove on order. That being said. I owned a 6 Dasher that sported a 4 groove kreiger and it was crazy accurate too.

i dont think the 4 groove out shoots the 5 groove or vice versa. I think you need a great barrel and have the rifle built right and your in bussiness.

I will add too that I have had barrels from Bartlein, Kreiger, and the old Shilen Select match that were all one hole guns.

I spoke with the folks at Krieger and they have seen no difference in accuracy between the 4 and 5 groove. They started offering the 5 groove because of public demand. I own both 4 and 5 groove from them and haven't seen any difference either.

That's the same thing that Krieger told me. On the other hand, you ordered and paid for one thing, but got another. I don't know that it's worth making a stink about, but I'd say something.