• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

4 mm tungsten projectile / sabot

bluez

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
I remember reading about the cartridges delivered to the Swedish army a few years ago (by Winchester). This are a plastic sabot surrounding a 4 mm tungsten projectile. They are beeing used in the PSG-90. My question is, why haven't this and other sabot rounds, caught on by other armys?

Re: 4 mm tungsten projectile / sabot

Because they tend to group like a shotgun from small arms standard throats. I'm sure a barrel could be made to shoot the sabots well, but they would only be able to use that ammo in most cases.

Shortbus

Sabots have been used for a long time in weapons ranging from tank main guns to small arms.

The simple answer of why they aren't used in our small arms is because they are not needed.

M855 pierces things nicely. It just doesn't leave a real big hole. That is the problem with 5.56mm AP ammunition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Short-bus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because they tend to group like a shotgun from small arms standard throats. I'm sure a barrel could be made to shoot the sabots well, but they would only be able to use that ammo in most cases.

Shortbus </div></div>

Accuracy is a big issue with sabot rounds. Hyper-velocity and penetration is great and all, but if you can't hit what the hell you are aiming at within a reasonable distance, they aren't worth much. Even the specially-chambered SLAP barrels on the Barretts yeild only marginal accuracy in my experience but they do offer some pretty phenomenal penetration (34mm of penetration against HHA witin 800yds if I recall correctly). However...performance is achieved from a .50BMG...performance against hardened targets with small arms like the 7.62 and 5.56 rounds is not all that great (whether you are talking about Sabots or APs).

Between 2000 and 2003 I shot linked 7.62 Sabot out of our mini-guns. It was advertised to penetrate 3/4" of homogenous rolled armor. That said, we stopped shooting it due to barrel fouling and the sabot sleeve separating and contacting rotor blades. So long story longer, they are out there. Some even show up on gunbroker once in while but I want to say there's some legaleze issues about it. FWIW.

The problem with the Swedish round is as previously stated the accuracy. The positive side is that the penetration is extremely good (better than any known AP round in 7,62) and the trajectory is outstanding for a 7,62.

But it's not sniper accuracy.

Håkan

Also sabot's cannot be used with suppressors because of the seperation once they leave the barrel. We had a lot of sabot rounds for our 240's when I deployed but we rarely used them.