• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 4 MONTH WAIT AT THE SMITH

assistancefromadistance

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Southern Oklahoma
Dropped off my new build at the smith about five months back. Got a call it was ready the other day. Went to pick it up, and the smith did all the work to the factory gun I took him. He forgot about the new Hart Hvy BBl and the Holland recoil lug. He chambered, crowned, threaded, bead blasted, And Duracoated the factory gun I took him to rebarrel. He just looked at it and said "I guess I need better notes." I Guess I will have to wait another 5 months. Sure is a bummer.

Re: 4 MONTH WAIT AT THE SMITH

Well, I at least hope that he stays late a couple nights and gets you back to the top of the list.

Everyone makes mistakes once in a while, but he should now make it a priority to fix it quickly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone makes mistakes once in a while, but he should now make it a priority to fix it quickly
</div></div>

I would think that his corrective action should be the first project on his priority list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone makes mistakes once in a while, but he should now make it a priority to fix it quickly
</div></div>

I would think that his corrective action should be the first project on his priority list. </div></div>

yep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunbroker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He just looked at it and said "I guess I need better notes." I Guess I will have to wait another 5 months. Sure is a bummer. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd have given him $20 for the Duracoat and found a new 'smith.</div></div>

That was my point from the start...I'm as understanding as they come when it comes to human error...but put me to the back of the line after you screw up, hell no.

A quality smith is getting tougher and tougher to find . George Vais just retired and closed up HTG . He was the last guy I could get to build me a stick in less than a week and his shop was just around the corner . Looks like I need to finish up the couple little parts I need to rebarrel my own stuff .

I sure wish I only had to wait 5 months to get mine done. Hell, I wish I only had to wait 9 months. That sucks though. I hope he gets it done for you.

Scew up happen. The good guys go far out their way to make it right. Good for both of you. I am betting he was paying that extra special bit of attention to get everything perfect the second time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunbroker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an update, The smith came by today and dropped off my new 308 complete. 3 days not bad. I guess I should not say bad things about good people. </div></div>

Glad he made it right...!
If it were me, this would inspire confidence to take my future work to him...

We all make mistakes, its how we correct them that makes a difference.