• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 40 moa base

jakhamr81

Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
FT Smith, Ar
I finally have a night force nxs F1 3.5-15x50 on it's way, and I am planning on getting a new base for it. It's going on my 700 308, and I don't think I will be doing anything past 1,000 yards. Is their any reason for me to get a 40 moa base, or should I just stick with the 20?

Re: 40 moa base

A 0 Moa base easily gets my NF 3.5-15NXS to 1K on my ar10 with factory ammo.

With 110MOA of internal elevation adjustment in the NF F1 3.5-15x, you don't need a canted base to get to 1k with any of the 308 loads I am running. If you are going with a canted base, I certainly don't see any need for any more than a 20MOA at most if at all.

Yup, once you get to the 30 (what I have) it lifts the rear of the base enough that I do notice it. I'm sure 40 would make you really add to your cheek piece.

I went from a 20 moa base to a 45 moa base and didn't notice any difference in scope height while shooting.

Personally with 110 moa in the erector, I'd go with the 40 moa base and never look back. sure tyou could get by with a zero, but who needs 50+ moa 'down'.

I'd rather have 80-90+ up on tap, so someday when you want to try to hit that thing waaaay out there at a mile or so, you have the erector travel on hand to make it possible.

Split it down the middle like me. I just picked up a EGW HD 30 moa base. Idk if Badger or NF or whatever brand you p;an to buy makes 30 moa though. The EGW HD is pretty nice IMO

Here's my '06 with the 45 moa Badger Ord base, and MK4 16X. 108 moa up, and 32 moa down.
IMG_2121.jpg

Must just be that mine is higher across the board?
I've only used this and flat so may also affect outcome.
Chad

You will never complain about not having enough adjustment until you need it... I would go with 40 MOA base even though you might not need it now it will save you from having to pick one up when you want to reach out that far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must just be that mine is higher across the board?
I've only used this and flat so may also affect outcome.
Chad </div></div>

Stock/scope/face fit is so individual it's hard to really say.

With my A2 stock, and relatively big face, it was a non-issue.

Who knows, maybe the 45 moa is only slightly higher aft, and lower in front. At any rate, going from 20 moa to 45 moa is only going to raise the aft end about two or three hundredths of an inch to gain the extra 25 moa.