• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 40 S&W over 41 Mag for Grizzly Bear Protection?

I am back from my elk hunt and had a not so great bear encounter I was packing the 40 S&W the morning it happened and I carried that the rest of the trip and you can read about the encounter and hunt here. http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-hunting-fishing/274288-2014-elk-hunt.html

All I am going to say after this hunt is bears like people have their own personality and there is no standard way they act they act how they want to and it is their world out in the mountains we are just living in it. We had another encounter two days later with a different bear that was in the parking lot of the trail head and was much much larger than the bear in the linked post and that bear caught our scent and ran off like a he had seen a ghost.

I worked in the backcountry in AK for a few years after I got out 2007-2009, been charged down by a grizzly 2 times. The first I was with another worker that packed a 454 and dropped him at a full charge with one round to the face the second I was on my own and carried a S&W 460 and did him in the same. As a side not bears scare the shit out of me.
If I went back to work up there ide just go with a 454 or 10mm glock

I worked in the backcountry in AK for a few years after I got out 2007-2009, been charged down by a grizzly 2 times. The first I was with another worker that packed a 454 and dropped him at a full charge with one round to the face the second I was on my own and carried a S&W 460 and did him in the same. As a side not bears scare the shit out of me.
If I went back to work up there ide just go with a 454 or 10mm glock

I live in grizz country. I'm going to say that 10mm is the minimum. I shot someones 460 rowland at the range recently and all I can say is WOW! What a beast.

I pack a 460 s&w 3.5" as it is quick to draw and loaded with heavy bullets at more moderate speeds (probably at 454 levels). The extra weight makes it much easier to shoot than my older 454. It is in a chest holster so don't really mind the ridiculous weight.