• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.40 S&W

COASTIE.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2010
seattle wa
Has anyone ever use and had good results with .40 hand loads using accurate #9 powder. I'm a newbie to reloading and was givin some advice on #9 powder. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Mike

Re: .40 S&W

I have researched powders and #9 was not recommended, but was suggested by a freind. just wondering if he is right.

I use WSF with a 155gr plated bullet. It's a little dirty, but I think that's cuz I load it light - around 900fps, and it would work better with heavier bullets from what I read.

Anyway, I've got a lot of it & WSF meters nice, so I'm happy. I use it in 9mm also.

Lots of powders will work. I'm not familiar with #9.

Dan

coastie.308,

No, absolutely not. Accurate #9 is a good powder, but it's roughly equivalent to H110 or W-W 296. In other words, way, way too slow for the 40 S&W. It'll work great for 357 and 44 Magnums, or other big, high performance rounds like that, but is completely out of place for the smaller capacity cases like the 40. In the Accurate line, you might take a look at #5, or something similar in burning rate from the other makers.

Was just digging through here for info on loading for a .40 S&W. I've got some brass, primers, and just ordered bullets so I can reload for my XD 4".

I was going to get out today and try to track down some powder at the local shops.

AA #9 is far from ideal for .40 S&W but that does not mean it can’t be used, if you don’t already have some on hand I would not go out and buy any with reloading for the 40 in mind. If you already have the powder, Lee does list a few recipes that you can try but I would stick to the heavy bullets, like 180 or 200’s. Just don’t expect the best results, there are powders out there that are much better suited for the 40.

Thank you all for the help. The research I have on my own also concurs with all your help and advice. And i now have some great powder advice from all of you.
Mike

Also if anybody has any tips for setting the factory crimp die in a lee single stage press that would be awesome, I have been having some trouble getting the right crimp.

Throw away the crimping portion of the FCD, add the Buldge Buster to it, the LFCD will make your ammo 100% reliable, but because it sizes the bullet as it passes thru the carbide ring accuracy suffers.

Look at Jeff Maass's site for reloading info for the .40 .

http://www.k8nd.com/documents/hl40sw.pdf

I used WSF for years but switched over to Titegroup some years ago and just can't seem to go through an 8 pound jug of it since it takes such a tiny amount
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at Jeff Maass's site for reloading info for the .40 .

http://www.k8nd.com/documents/hl40sw.pdf </div></div>

"Although Small Pistol Primers generally work fine in .40S&W, several contributors suggested that using Small Rifle Primers, as is typically done for other
high-pressure IPSC loads (38 Super, 9x21, 9x23, etc.) offers some additional margin of safety"

Thoughts on using Small Rifle Primers to reload .40 S&W?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at Jeff Maass's site for reloading info for the .40 .

http://www.k8nd.com/documents/hl40sw.pdf </div></div>

"Although Small Pistol Primers generally work fine in .40S&W, several contributors suggested that using Small Rifle Primers, as is typically done for other
high-pressure IPSC loads (38 Super, 9x21, 9x23, etc.) offers some additional margin of safety"

Thoughts on using Small Rifle Primers to reload .40 S&W? </div></div>

I always use SR primers on 40S&W.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coastie.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also if anybody has any tips for setting the factory crimp die in a lee single stage press that would be awesome, I have been having some trouble getting the right crimp. </div></div>

I use one for my .223/5.56 and bought one for .45 acp, but don't use the latter.

The .40 (like the .45 acp) headspaces off the case mouth and all you really need to do is get the flair from expanding out. When you set up your bullet setting die, you have a couple of choices:

1. Set the bullet seating depth first, back it off and then run the die body down to take out the flair; re-set your bullet seating plunger and go for it.
2. You can do it in two steps; bullet seating first and then 'crimp'.

Either way, to set the crimp, you can take an empty cartridge and run it up in your press; then run the die body down until it contacts it, drop the case and turn your die an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn down.

Take your gun apart and use the barrel/chamber as your case gauge if you like
YMMV...

AA9 was recommended by Accurate for 200gr hardcast loads, at least in the past. I used their data to load a pile of those and they were a lot of fun to shoot.

For regular loads I run #2 or #5.

EDIT: I see Hodgdon has some .40 s&w loads using Longshot and 200gr XTP bullets. That could be fun.

I use SR primers in any handgun load that will accept them . Mainly it has made one less item that I have to keep on hand when reloading . That being said I have heard of guys with super light triggers (sub pound) having issues with reliable ignition due to lighter strikes .

When primers became unobtanium a few years back my Dad got in on a group buy of SP Magnum primers and has used them in his SR loads with no ill effects in both his AR and bolt guns.

Sometimes you just gotta try it and see , just use caution and don't load a few 1000 rounds up only to find out it isn't going to work .

Anyone used small rifle magnum primers in lieu of small pistol in the .40 S&W? Also has anyone used True Blue or Silhouette powders?
Just got my first new handgun, a Glock 23!
Thanks

CCI SR primers caused about 5% FTF with light strikes in my G35. I rationalized the same way, one less primer to inventory. Once I switched to SPs, the problem went away. Just my experience.