• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.408 Twist rate and barrel length recommendations

tpowers

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2009
Concord, CA
I picked up a 50% Stiller Certificate at TBRC, Thank you Stiller.

I'm thinking about putting it to use on a .408 Cheytec build. I was wondering what kind of twist rates and barrel lengths that are getting the best results.
Thanks,

Re: .408 Twist rate and barrel length recommendations

The folks at chey tac are using a 1-13 twist for the 408. However, for their 375 CT they are using a 1-11.5 twist.

Im currently building a 375 snipe tac (408-375 improved). I've really struggeled with the right twist rate vs bullet combo. I have two barrels in the works, a 1-10.5 twist and the other is on hold waiting the results of some testing of new bullets.

You may decide to neck your 408 to 375 or even take it one step further and neck it to 338. Either way, like me, you will probably drive yourself crazy trying to find the best caliber. And then after that, finding the right twist and bullet can even be more fun.

The 375 was not real popular in the past, but the arrival of new bullets for this caliber is really creating great interest. There are alot of guys on this site and Longrangehunting.com that can help you in your qwest.

Some are bullet makers, some are shooters like me and others are gunsmiths, barrel makers etc. All of them can help you. Take some time to read old posts and it will educate you tons.

take care,
kz

Re: .408 Twist rate and barrel length recommendati

I've got a direct connection for one piece turned brass bullets, so doing the straight 408 appeals to me.
I talked to Brian over at Bartlein and he said there is not a lot of info on twist rates. They have done it in 1-13 to 1-14 in barrel lengths from 30-36". My intention for this build is more for personal entertainment than anything practical. I might use it for extreme long range hunting when my 7wsm is not enough.
So I think that I will go with a 1-13 and call it good.
Thanks for the info.

I have Krieger making me a barrel now, I went with 1:13, and 30" long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a direct connection for one piece turned brass bullets, so doing the straight 408 appeals to me.
</div></div>

Are these .408 projectiles "proper" size, "under" size or "over" size? As that will make a bigger difference in what barrel you are wanting than picking on just twist rate alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redbastrd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Krieger making me a barrel now, I went with 1:13, and 30" long.</div></div>

What projectile are you intending on shooting?

Back to the OP question...honestly no one here can provide you with a proper twist rate without having knowledge/insight on the projectile you mentioned. Lots of other things than "weight" come into factor..especially with solids. Also depends on what stability factor you personally want to run the projectiles at.

Thanks

The one really good advantage that I have with this is that I can have my bullets made to my specifications, since I'm fortunate enough to have a good machine shop connection. With that in mind. I was thingking on doing a true .408 diameter bullet and am thinking in the 400ish grain weight.

Go with 1:13 32 inchs long.