• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40gr slugs for panthera

702lineman

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
southern IL
Is 40gr slugs too heavy for the Panthera? I havent been able to find much data on them online for tuning. I have been trying Zan and Javelins with decent results, but feel like it could shoot better.

I am very new to air rifles though, so forgive me if my tuning is shitty. I had an sd of 7 over 11 shots running 903 fps this afternoon while i was shooting at a 8in plate at 253 yards. It was hitting the plate with ease though with the Zans and golfballs at 100 pretty easily so i guess i shouldn't complain too much. My tune was 145 bar and 3.6 on micro. If i turned up the micro more it didnt gain speed, but if i backed it off any it lost speed and sd went up.

Should i try going up to say 170 bar and backing off micro with this heavy of a slug? Is better than a 7 sd unrealistic?

Not as nice as your Panthera, but when I tune my dreamline with the 21 gr hybrids, I'll take a 7sd. I think 4 or 5 was the best I managed. However, I tune by accuracy at 50 yds and then check the velocity. I could generally get 1-1.5" groups at 100 with the 21 hybrids with my best tune. So like I said, your Panthera is doing better. My dreamline maxes at 145 and I got my best accuracy with 21s. Heavier and the accuracy wasn't there.

Also, I would tune it as high on the regulator as the hammer will stand, unless you are trying to get a higher shot count for a purpose.

Well, thank you for the help, i was going about it all wrong on the reg pressure. Ill try and turn it up and see what happens.

Over on AirgunNation forum there's a Panthera thread discussing different tunes.
A superior slug than Javelins or Zan as far as BC, and also made better because its turned on a special lathe, are the Altaros Kings that are 40gr. The BC is around .21.
Heck the 32.3gr Smooth with a BC of .18 shoot great in my Thomas at 880 fps.
Both Altaros weights shoot the best around 900 fps give or take a few.

I seen the thread you are refering to, but there wasnt a whole lot of people shooting 40gr slugs. Is there a reason people stay away from the heavies?

I shoot almost exclusively 40gn Altaros atp kings. I have been absolutely amazed by their performance out to 400 or so yards. I have tuned them to an avg velocity of 960fps. At 100 it shoots on ragged hole when I do my part.

Panthera 700mm

Reactions: 702lineman
I seen the thread you are refering to, but there wasnt a whole lot of people shooting 40gr slugs. Is there a reason people stay away from the heavies?

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with the 40's and I don't own a Pathera, but I do know two guys that shoot the 34gr H&N slugs that outshot me by one darn point in EFT/ or now called UFT. One was Thane Simmons during EBR week but he used his Impact and the other in November using his Panthera.

All you can do is give the gun what it likes until you run across the best projectile and tune.

I use a Vulcan 3 in 25 and shoot the 60gr Altaros with a .245BC at 862 fps for 99 fpe. I've out shot my Anschutz 22rf at long range before with it because the wind drift is much less than 22rf and the ES is lower.

Played with it some today since it was beautiful out. Got some groups at distance and more chrono data. Ill be honest this thing has several rounds down the tube and i have never cleaned it, so that may affect it.

Anyway, im pretty happy with the results. I think it can do better, especially in the es, but a 7 sd for 35 shots aint bad. I didnt touch the tune from last time. Groups were at 7 shots @ 135 yards(4.9 mil) on the diamond, and 6 shots @ 195 yards(9.1 mil) on the mini ipsc. Btw, the Garmin is awesome, I seen one shot was low on the diamond and looked over and it was only 911 fps, pretty cool having instant feedback on that. I know its not setting any records, but good enough for plinking on an amateur tune. 40gr Zan slugs, 145 bar and 3.6 on micro
1000005315.jpg
1000005316.jpg
1000005317.jpg

Reactions: steve123
Good results. I have done a ton of indoor 25m testing on lots of variious weight slugs in my .22. However, not a whole lot with 40 grain. In the end, I ended up likely going to 30 gr and maybe 34 gr as a backup. my thoughts are that the ES is bit more of a used measurment then the ES.

Oddly in my gun, the 1 or 2 ES groups don't shoot the best. My best groups happen with an ES around 7 - 10 fps. Which is excellent in my opinon, especially when you compare it to my Vudoo's ES with the competition loads I shoot.

Also my gun must have a different spring then most other guns as I cannot get any accuracy beyond 2.5 - 17. Once I get into the 3+ it justt turns gassy and ther groups fall apart. Getting a 30 gr H&N slug at 992 fps avg with 145 bar at 2.5 - 13 setting with an ES of 7.