• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing 40x build threadd

Re: 40x build threadd

Stocks at paint.

Metal stuff is getting squirted too.

Waiting game at this point. . .

Late next week or early following this should be all wrapped up.

Have a great weekend.

C

Final assembly:

DSC_0007-5.jpg

DSC_0004-5.jpg

DSC_0005-7.jpg

DSC_0006-6.jpg

Looking good, Chad. Is she completely assembled, nestled in the Pelican, enroute to SC now?

Looking forward to shooting this new build.

Boxing her up now Bill.

It's amazing how bad this place is sometimes. (meaning SD) I had to trim the threads your sling stud. NOBODY (including myself) had a 10-32 die! I make my own studs and single point them on the lathe. I threw one in with your stuff when it went to plating without first fitting it. (grrrrrrrrrr. . . .)

Were all set now!

I'll call you here after a bit.

C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The final product is convincing me to call you about my own Rem40XB... </div></div>

This thread is about as comprehensive as it gets with me and the work I do. I'm not a sponsor here and out of respect for those who are I will not discuss business of any kind in an open format.

That being said I can't say much more.

Chad

Awesome build and work shop!!

Heck you are only a few hours from my place here in Fargo. May need to save up and get a rifle down there.

Final comments:

I've received a couple PM's from folks inquiring about the "unconventional" appearance of the tang.

First, they are absolutely right, it's different. There is a reason for it though. When I first started in this trade I worked for Neal Johnson. Neal was at one time a traveling coach with the US National Rifle Team. The first thing he taught me when inletting and bedding a rifle is that trigger shoe placement is everything. You base the placement of the action on that and that alone. That being said the first thing I do when starting on a stock is determining where that location should be. I mark it with a pen and everything gets driven from that point. The only exception to this is with trigger systems that allow adjustment of the shoe location. Then things like the extraction length on the bolt and the location of the loading port (particularly for prone guns used competitively where the shooter may not want to break position to manipulate the bolt and load the gun) also come into play.

In this case the action wanted to sit forward of the original inlet/bedding job. This is not as uncommon as one would think and it's a challenge I'm faced with more often than I'd like. In the attempt to address it and still have some resemblance of a presentable final product I do a 3 axis contour in the mill that follows the general contour of the tang. It's something I've been doing for a long time now on Palma Rifles as dedicated prone stocks are quite different in the tang area compared to more traditional stocks. The A-5 from McMillan is a sort of blend between the two. The vertical grip transitioning to the tang is what I'm referring to. If I were to skin bed guns the way most do it would likely become less of an issue. I however don't skin bed anything as I feel it's a waste of time and customer's money. Not badmouthing anyone, it's just my opinion.

I wish I had a more elegant solution to it. The alternative would involve heavy surgery on the stock. It'd be relatively easy to chew though the stock to get a 1:1 blend however that'd really weaken the stock as the outer glass shell provides most of the structure. The core is mostly just a filler.

Here are some pics of other guns I've done this with:

DSC_0058.jpg

mypalmabedding.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Hope this helps to answer the question.

Chad

Chad, your work is wonderful. It has been a pleasure to see the two rifles that you have built and shown here on the hide. I tell you what, if I win the Mega Millions you just may have a new house.
smile.gif
Your attention to detail is amazing.

I apologize to the readership in advance, but thought the sheer beauty of the work in this thread was worth revisiting. With the forum software change hopefully some will find this a good read -- I sure did.

:D