• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40X Transformation... RANGE REPORT! PICS!

Re: 40X Transformation...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't understand what the big problem is. I stepped outside the box and decided to let you all know about it and there's really been some "haters" out there. I understand and respect people's reasoning for using conventional, tried-and-true methods but please... Until it's proven a "failure"... IF it's proven a failure I'd prefer you either say something at least constructive, or shut the fuck up!

I like to try things and that's just me... </div></div>

I always dig when the dudes asking the first question,soon switch to giving answers in the same Thread.

Facts don't slow some folks down and I'm glad that they feel compelled to narrate those journeys.

**RANGE REPORT**

Well, I got out to the range yesterday... finally. The wind was blowing about 20-25mph from 10 to 11 O'clock and it was pretty chilly for my thin Florida blood so I decided to stay at 100yds. Of course, all of the knowledgeable, seasoned shooters were there... No pressure!

Anyway, I had really set myself up for major failure because I decided to shoot my VERY FIRST reloads too!!!( I've been shooting for years but have always either been given my ammo, bought my ammo "new" or had my brother reload my ammo... My excuse has been "no time to reload"). I did, however, bring some of the ammo I had already had good results with just to remove at least one variable.

Sooo... with all this in mind... All you nay-sayers out there can pack up your shit-headed remarks and go the fuck home!!! The rifle performed flawlessly! Once I dialed it back down to 100yds from the 300yds my scope was set at, it started grouping as I knew it could. I brought home almost all of my targets so I could figure out where my mistakes were. I'll add pictures when I get a chance to download some. I was using cheap Winchester brass from Walmart ammo I had bought last year. The bullets were 150gr Hornady BTSP that I bought here on the Hide last week. I loaded them with 43gr of Varget and used CCI-200 Large Rifle primers. I use the bare minimun cheapest Lee reloading set-up you can get... short of a Hand-loader. I have to say the weakest link in my reloading set-up is the cheap-assed powder measurer/dispenser. I know the charge varied because of this. I'll cure that problem as soon as I can afford to.

So there you have it... Throw all the jabs you can at me!

I'll be happy to answer serious questions too!

Thanks for takin' the time to read...

Here is a picture of my targets... From left to right:

First 5 shot group after zeroing.
Second 5 shot group.
Third group is a 12 shot group because there was a long time between "cold ranges".
Fourth is 5 shots in the center and 1 at each of the corner dots.
2gyc560.jpg

Remember, the wind was gusting pretty badly. At times it actually moved the rifle.
I was using a cheap "Harris type" bipod and a sandbag for the back. The table was kind of rickety and also moving from the wind. All in all the groups weren't terrible but will be better next time.

On a better day when I'm concentrating on "just shooting" I'm confident the groups will tighten up considerably.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have to say the weakest link in my reloading set-up is the cheap-assed powder measurer/dispenser. I know the charge varied because of this. </div></div>

I'm not trying to jump on the hate train here... I genuinely hope your rifle shoots well... i'm no master reloader... but you should be measuring each powder weight with a scale for best accuracy ... ESPECIALLY if you know your powder measure is a "CHEAP ASSED". It would kinda suck to have your frankenstein rifle prove everyone here wrong... and then throw a bolt handle through your face.

all things considered... hope it turns out for the best... I wouldn't wish a bad rifle on anyone...

Yea... I know. I was weighing about every 5th or so charge and on my scale (which is also cheap-assed) the mark was always within 1/4" either way. Probably .2 to .3 grains. I also visually checked to make sure none of my loads looked very different.

My brother, who has been reloading for 20 years or more and has forgotten more about reloading than I will probably ever know told me something interesting... One of the "older" genltemen at the range who has infinitely more knowledge than even my brother told him to try something. Try varying your charge by as much as 1/2 a grain in both directions and see what happens. The result was NO LOSS in accuracy out to 300yds. (Of course this was using nowhere near the Max. load)

The only reason for concern was because 43gr. is close to Max. according to my book. I appreciate the concern and WILL be more careful in the future.

Best of luck... measuring every few charges is still safe and is common for anyone loading in bulk. More from an accuracy standpoint than anything. Congrats that everything is working well so far!

That's actually a really good question... I bought it about a year ago as a 40X repeater in .308 from a guy on Gunbroker. It had the McMillan "Modified 40X Stock" on it when I got it and the barrel reads: 7.62 Nato. I'm not familiar enough with the different 40X designations to know which one this is. The barrel is very heavy as you can tell and has a straight taper. I actually wouldn't mind knowing myself.

I guess timing is everything. Before I got the A5 I posted pictures with the barrel Aluma-hyde job I did. At that time I mentioned I wanted to get rid of the Modified 40X stock for a more "tactical" style... No bites. Just inquiries. Then I put it up for sale after I bought my A5 to help offset the cost of the A5... Nothin'. Then out of the blue one of the guys who had originally inquired about it PM'd me to see if I still had it. He bought it. Sorry.

Well, I finally got around to taking a couple pics of the inside of the stock with the Whidden Aluminum Block installed. I painted a light coat of flat black spray-paint over everything because I wanted to clean up the look a little. You can actually see how little of the receiver actually touches because it has removed the paint where it rests. Still haven't shot it since the first range report. It seems I pushed the shoulders of my reloads back a little and just got that problem solved. Here are the pics:
4q61c1.jpg
59yb0g.jpg
zl4un7.jpg

This was my first attempt at anything even remotely like this so I know it's not the cleanest looking job but it seems to have been a success. Thanks for the support!

John