• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40x

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
I have a bunch of center fire Rem 700's , but I don't have a rimfire 40x. Will
These take the same bases as my 700's?
Is there any difference in the CMP 40x's compared
To the H&S stocked Remington ones being sold
Now.

What can you tell me about the 40x!?

The CMP 40x's will take the Remington 700 1pc. Short Action bases. They will also take the 2 pc. Remington 700 bases.
I don't know anything about the current production 40x's from the Remington Custom shop.
Both of my CMP 40x's were produced in the mid 1950's. They both shoot extremely well. One is in the original iron sight configuration the other is/was a pretty beat up USMC 40x. It now has been metal finished, bedded in an HS Precision adjustable LOP & cheek piece stock by the fine folks at Accurate Ordnance.
I highly encourage you to speak to the folks at Accurate Ordnance (Winder, GA) if you decide to have any work or improvements done to it.
Semper Fi

40X Rimfire was based on the "722" (SA)

Mid 60's maybe?

Yep they take the 700 bases. Some of the CMP rifles were a 721 action.

Not to split hairs, but the "721" is a Long Action, while the "722" is a Short Action. The 40X, 40-XB, 40-XR, and 40X-BR Series of rimfires' were all produced on short actions. The 40X Rimfire(produced 1955-1964) is based on the "722" SA, while the 40-XB Rimfire (introduced 1965) and subsequent 40-XR Series rifles are all based on the Model 700 Short Action.

A great book for reference on Remington .22s' is "Remington .22 Rimfire Rifles" written by John Gyde and Roy Marcot. There are two (2) versions - a "Standard" green hardcover version with dustjacket (I have this version), and a "Deluxe" leatherbound version with slipcase. Both are somewhat pricey, but are "must have" references for Remington Collectors. According to the "Foreword", "Remington .22 Rimfire Rifles" "represents the first full-scale, detailed study of all .22 caliber rifles ever produced by America's Oldest Gunmaker - the Remington Arms Company".

Here's a link to both on Amazon.com: Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Remington .22 Rimfire Rifles; The Complete Book on Remington .22 Rifles=

Keith

I saw a really nice one on GB. Just sold this morning. The guy waa an asshole. Really. If you gonna sell something then answer your emails. Anyway- id have bought it but it sold anyway.

"The CMP 40x's will take the Remington 700 1pc. Short Action bases. They will also take the 2 pc. Remington 700 bases."

Be aware that if you want a 2 piece base with +20MOA for the 40X you specifically need the M700 SHORT ACTION, +20MOA, 2-piece base.
The M700 LA 2-piece +20MOA bases are different.

I like the 2-piece bases, they make it have more room for my fumbley fingers to singly load the puny 22 cartridges into the action.

Last edited: