• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.416 Barrett Full Length size

Re: .416 Barrett Full Length size

No, The expander is what makes the mouth concentric and adjusts your neck tension. You can FL size without the expander then re-run the brass with the expander ball if that helps.

Also, make sure on big cases like these to use Mica, Graphite or a dab of imperial IN the case mouth. Otherwise you will experience what you are experiencing - let me guess, it makes a loud screech as you pull the ball through the mouth right? If so you need some form of lube (mica, graphite etc) in the mouth.

Finally if those don't help you can chuck the expander ball in a drill and LIGHTLY polish it with emery cloth to a mirror shine which will help with the drag you are experiencing.

Hope this helps,
madd0c

Re: .416 Barrett Full Length size

The topic of sizing with or without an expander ball is a big debate. A lot of guys say to stay away from them because they distort the neck upon exiting. I use the ball because there is no way to fix neck deformities without it. But I do agree with some of the naysayers to some extent. If you are using a bushing that takes the neck down to a size smaller than the ball, the ball will rip thru it, expanding it to the dimensions of the ball. You would be defeating the purpose of the bushing. That is why I use the ball only with bushings that are large enough to accommodate the ball. I then size with a smaller bushing of desired size without the ball.