• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

416 Barrett vs 408 Cheytac STRICLTLY CARTRIDGE!

ConfusedSniper

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2012
So this topic has been haunting me for years and i was hoping i could get some clarity. The M200 .408 has been proven it is more accurate than the M99 .416. However, logically the .416 Barrett cartridge has a significantly higher ballistic coefficient than the .408 Cheytac as well as much higher velocity and therefore should be more accurate, right? Im not sure about this, but I'm guessing the M99 is not as accurate as the M200 because they don't true the action and spend the time making everything precise on the rifle. <span style="font-weight: bold">Now what if you put the .416 Barrett in a precise rifle? Would the .416 be more accurate? </span>Also i just found out McMillan offers the Tac-50 in .416 Barrett which should be interesting to see how the accuracy differs from the M99.

Reactions: RILO68
Re: 416 Barrett vs 408 Cheytac STRICLTLY CARTRIDGE!

There's nothing inherently accurate about one caliber over another, so you can't really make a direct accuracy comparison between a .416 and a .408CT. It comes down to the entire system - rifle, load, shooter, etc.

If you're talking strictly rifles (i.e. M200 vs. M99), then yes you can make a comparison. I don't have an answer for either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyberpuppy42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's nothing inherently accurate about one caliber over another, so you can't really make a direct accuracy comparison between a .416 and a .408CT. It comes down to the entire system - rifle, load, shooter, etc.
</div></div>

Are you saying cartridges by them self don't have comparative accuracy advantages, or that these two just happen to be dead even?

There are a couple things you need to think about in the 408 vs 416 debate. First is powder. The 408 has at least 3 choices (RL25, Retumbo and US869) while the 416 has just US869. I think if someone took the 416 case blew out the sides and sharpened the shoulder you might be able to use H50BMG though
grin.gif
The second is primers. Once again the 408 has several choices while the 416 has just the CCI 35. Now for me I like the choice of components for the 408 as my chances of building a load my rifle likes increases significantly.

To add to this, most ELR shooters have ditched the .408CT for the superior .375CT variant (just necked down slightly). The main difference between a .375 and .416 rifle is one of scale. The .416 is based on a .50BMG case which requires a larger, heavier rifle (blast is sucktacular as well). When you compare bullet options between the .408 and .416 - both are limiting. However, change that to .375 and .416 and you get lots of bullet options.

If you don't expect to shoot beyond 2000 yards, you can do quite well with .375 HPBT bullets. Beyond that, you're better off with high BC solids. And as mentioned, with the reduced-scale .408-based case (compared to .50BMG) you can shoot a variety of powders (Retumbo & RL-25 are very popular). The .416 looks good on paper, but in practical terms it hasn't caught on because the .375CT has more pros than cons.

BTW, if you buy an HTI from DTA, you can have both a .375CT and eventually a .416 (and .50BMG for that matter).

Reactions: 232593

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To add to this, most ELR shooters have ditched the .408CT for the superior .375CT variant (just necked down slightly). The main difference between a .375 and .416 rifle is one of scale. The .416 is based on a .50BMG case which requires a larger, heavier rifle (blast is sucktacular as well). When you compare bullet options between the .408 and .416 - both are limiting. However, change that to .375 and .416 and you get lots of bullet options.

If you don't expect to shoot beyond 2000 yards, you can do quite well with .375 HPBT bullets. Beyond that, you're better off with high BC solids. And as mentioned, with the reduced-scale .408-based case (compared to .50BMG) you can shoot a variety of powders (Retumbo & RL-25 are very popular). The .416 looks good on paper, but in practical terms it hasn't caught on because the .375CT has more pros than cons.

BTW, if you buy an HTI from DTA, you can have both a .375CT and eventually a .416 (and .50BMG for that matter). </div></div>
+100

Oh my gosh thank you for telling me about the the desert tactical HTI. This has all the calibers i've been interested in. thanks to everyone else's comments

What i mean when i say "stricly cartridges" is from the forums i have looked at, the m99 is a peice of junk and none of barrett's guns are very accurate, with off the shelf ammo at least. One review had the 98b shooting .75 groups and i think the 338 lapua can do better than that. Heres a forum talking about the .416 [url=m99http://barrettrifles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2162][url=m99http://barrettrifles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2162]m99http://barrettrifles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2162[/url][/url]
So yea i think the round is capable of much better groups

The M98/MRAD is arguably Barrett's most accurate rifle to date, but in general that brand isn't known for accuracy.