• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

416 Barrett vs 408 CheyTac

Re: 416 Barrett vs 408 CheyTac

I don't see this rifle as anti-anything really. When you go to a rifle this size, there isn't any soft target that's going to walk off.

I'm more into how far you can accuratly hit something with it. That's what it's all about to me.

I have no idea what it would do to an engine block but, I guarantee it's all about the bullet. The copper solids seem to shatter when they hit AR500 and do a lot less damage than I'd have thought on hard targets. They probably go through engine blocks but, I've never shot at one. LOL

If somebody wanted to stop a vehicle, shoot the driver. If you have to kill the vehicle, get a 50 with AP.

That's not why I got this rifle. It's all about a high tech golf game to me with a different ball and a different club.

If you're concerned with doing the most damage, the 50 is the way to go. The specialty bullets for that thing are many.

The 375, so far, is a LONG range rifle made for ultimate accuracy, IMHO.

At 1000yds, you're looking at popping a 4" skeet in pretty good wind, cold bore and that is a repeatable shot.... that goes out to a mile when you scale the target in a linear way as well.... then you have another 1000yds behind that where the bullet is still supersonic. ( and that's if you are at sea level )... the distance goes much further if you are at altitude.

Even so, as already posted in this thread, there are even some other wildcats here that could smoke this rifle at closer ranges.... Jeeze.. I'd love to shoot one of those 338/408s and watch it go 3700+fps... WOW.

I think the 375 is balanced pretty well.

Alright, I'm getting it. I just discovered this cartridge and am pretty intrigued. I do not own anything over a 30 caliber and I do think about the what ifs for making the plunge to a big bomber. This round is high in the running.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, I'm getting it. I just discovered this cartridge and am pretty intrigued. I do not own anything over a 30 caliber and I do think about the what ifs for making the plunge to a big bomber. This round is high in the running. </div></div>

I think I'd look into the 338/408 if I were starting over... haven't done research on it but, it sound interesting to shoot a 338 bullet at 3700... That has to be close to if not exceeding the 375CT at even the longest ranges... and you can buy 338 bullets cheaper and almost shoot it for the same price as a 338... minus the barrels you'll go through... It's overbore, no doubt but, you can harden the barrel.

Melanite the barrel and harden it, you may have a thumper that has a little longevity in the barrel.

Of course, it's all relative. You aren't going to get a nitrided barrel by accident or anything.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my 375... it's a fucking beast. I'm not at max velocity and, my come up from a 100yd zero to 1000yds is 17.5 moa with a 330gr bullet. A 308 is between 36 and 40 depending on the weather... my 300wm is somewhere around 26moa to 28moa at 1000yds with weather. ( it's a mild load )

You are just in a different class... wind is easy to dope even at a mile... my wind charts are exactly the same at 1mi with the 375 as they are at 1000yds with the 300wm... 3moa wind at 1000yds is the same in moa with the 300wm as the 375 at 1mi. Come up at 1mi with the 375 the other day was 42moa..... that's it... and there are bullets that fly better than the one I was using.