• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

416 Hellfire or Vestal?

ReturnFire

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Sep 23, 2019
    Tyndall AFB
    I need some help fellas. I’m starting a build and I’m undecided on which 416 caliber to go with. The Hellfire and Vestal are my two leading choices. There are some other ones I’ve considered as well but with RCC going out of business brass is unobtainable at the moment. I’d like to utilize one of the CheyTac bolt face calibers. I’m mostly looking for recommendations on which action to use. The only stipulations are that I really want to utilize a Cadex chassis and I’d like to use a larger action. Basically I want it over built.

I need some help fellas. I’m starting a build and I’m undecided on which 416 caliber to go with. The Hellfire and Vestal are my two leading choices. There are some other ones I’ve considered as well but with RCC going out of business brass is unobtainable at the moment. I’d like to utilize one of the CheyTac bolt face calibers. I’m mostly looking for recommendations on which action to use. The only stipulations are that I really want to utilize a Cadex chassis and I’d like to use a larger action. Basically I want it over built.
    .375 CheyTac will do anything you can ask without chasing your tail for brass. I shot the high score of the SpearPoint season opener. We won Team Division both hitting two miles, and my wife hit 4227 yards beating a lot of 416's.

It's extremely easy to load consistently with proven results.

.375 CheyTac will do anything you can ask without chasing your tail for brass. I shot the high score of the SpearPoint season opener. We won Team Division both hitting two miles, and my wife hit 4227 yards beating a lot of 416's.

It's extremely easy to load consistently with proven results.
    What action and projectiles were you using?

Reactions: MT-Hillshooter
    I would go with the 20x Pierce or the 50x Pierce if you're wanting a repeater the 50x Pierce is the way to go it fits into the cadex 50 caliber chassis

I was in the same dilemma couple of years back. I wanted something to shoot ELR but not the issues with finding brass or fire-forming for a wild cat's guy were coming up with. I got a Cadex Shadow in 375 CT practiced with the factory barrel and when it was shot out I had Robert Vestal re-barrel it. I shot our local ELR match and in 7 matches finished with 3 first, 3 second and 1 4th ( found out the action screws were loose in that match)
    I was competing against 416B. 375 enabler , 37xc, 33xc and other 375ct's. My personal best is 2 of 5 at 3979 yards on a 45x50 steel plate.

Last edited:
    I was in the same dilemma couple of years back. I wanted something to shoot ELR but not the issues with finding brass or fire-forming for a wild cat's guy were coming up with. I got a Cadex Shadow in 375 CT practiced with the factory barrel and when it was shot out I had Robert Vestal re-barrel it. I shot our local ELR match and in 7 matches finished with 3 first, 3 second and 1 4th ( found out the action screws were loose in that match)
    I was competing against 416B. 375 enabler , 37xc, 33xc and other 375ct's. My personal best is 2 of 5 at 3979 yards on a 45x50 steel plate.
    Holy shit man that’s an impressive list of accomplishments! So what you’re saying is I could potentially stick with the 375 and still have what I needed without going the wildcat route. I appreciate that perspective

Reactions: MT-Hillshooter
    I would go with the 20x Pierce or the 50x Pierce if you're wanting a repeater the 50x Pierce is the way to go it fits into the cadex 50 caliber chassis
    I spoke with one of the guys at Pierce today and he did confirm that they have working prototypes of the 50X for their contract obligation but that it would most likely be an extended period of time before public offerings would be available. It might also take having several buyers lined up in order to make it worth their while.