• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

44 Mag/Cast bullet question

KYAggie

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 2, 2014
    Kentucky
    Hello, I’ve got some .430 320 SSK bullets from Penn Bullets I bought years ago that I’m trying to load for the first time with H110. I need to keep the OAL to 1.6” so they will cycle in my Rosie 92. Apparently, “THE” load with these is 21.5 grains of H110. To actually get that much H110 under that bullet, I would have to seat this pretty far out, much farther than 1.6” OAL. This bullet does have crimp grooves for that and I’m guessing that’s how they loaded the 21.5 grains that’s mentioned so much and that they were using a pistol, not a lever gun. These would fit, loaded that long, in my Ruger Vaquero, and likely recoil more like my 4.75” barreled 454 Casull, but they will most likely not cycle in my 92. I did some measurements and the 100% load density with H110 loaded to OAL of 1.6” is 17.3 grains. I loaded one this way with 17.0 grains and it will cycle in my 92.

Questions:

1. Have any of you tried this bullet/powder combo in a lever gun?

2. I know reduced loads with H110 are dangerous, but I believe that has to do with available loading space, not actual grain weights. In other words, even though 17 grains is less than 21.5, because it still fills 98% load density of the remaining cartridge space once the bullets seated, this should still be a safe load, although it will be slower. The bottom picture below is a loaded round. Is this correct?

3. What’s the longest OAL that will cycle in your 92, if you have one?

4. Any other suggestions that come to mind would be great.

For what it’s worth, I also have some 250 LBTGC’s that are probably the better way to go with this gun as I can get 23.5 grains of H110 under it and still be within 90% load density with a cartridge that will cycle in my 92. I’m just playing with the 320‘s because I have 250 of them; I might as well shoot them.

A0A03E2C-F923-4FAC-BA68-95EDBB5C3E9E.jpeg
    66E1B53D-FF5C-4050-BF80-869C7A78069A.jpeg
    AE268669-DAC1-4703-8020-C90A71CE07DD.jpeg

6F9742FF-0219-4906-B3D3-3A25E3CA1CF1.jpeg

I might have found my answer in the following article. Not much information regarding loading these for lever guns, but I might be able to go to the top crimp groove and load out to 1.638” or so and it might still feed. Some say their 92’s will feed to col of 1.7”, which seems a bit long.

The picture below is the paragraph pretty much addressing my questions above.

42D5F1E1-C75D-4CDA-B7BF-4ECFDD9FC80F.jpeg

Its my understanding those were designed for Thompsons and single shots. Ive never been to get anything that long to feed in a Rossi. They wont feed in a Marlin either

Its my understanding those were designed for Thompsons and single shots.

I would wager you are correct hence the reason I can’t find much if any mention of using them in lever guns. I will say that round pictured above will feed in my Rossi, but I also took the action apart last summer when I replaced the stock and spent a good deal of time smoothing it up. If I can get them to 1400 fps and if they shoot well, that’s good enough for me.

They might not shoot well, most lever guns were rifled with very slow twists. Like 1:32, I have only used bullets up to 250g in my rossi. Keep us posted.

Mike

Reactions: KYAggie
    I’ll definitely keep ya posted, although it might be a while before I get these to the range due to work, holidays, and cold weather. Who knows what twist this thing is, I’ve read it’s anywhere from 1:20 to 1:30 plus. I’ll try to measure it. It’s about 7 years old, so likely 1:30.

I might be wrong in this, but I have always ran jacketed when running at upper velocities to avoid leading. Gas checked would be better than straight lead. Lead reserved for plinking loads.
    320gr at 1400 doesn't sound at all pleasant.

Supposedly, and I say “supposedly” because from what I read this is one of those your mileage may vary things, as long as I keep them under 1600 fps and they are not undersized, they likely won’t lead the bore. I slugged this bore years ago and it measured at .429; these bullets are .430. Yes, they will likely generate some recoil in this light 16” barreled gun which is why I restocked it and it now has a recoil pad. We shall see, hopefully it won’t lead.

432224BB-0F6E-44A0-8724-0C8535825EEF.jpeg

I'd be curious to see how it works out. My 44mag experience is with an Encore, Mod 29 and 329pd. I've stuck with jacketed, not out of experience but from common perceptions.

I'd be curious to see how it works out. My 44mag experience is with an Encore, Mod 29 and 329pd. I've stuck with jacketed, not out of experience but from common perceptions.

Interesting. I’ve shot more hard cast in 454, 45, 44, and 357/38 than I have jacketed. I’ve yet to have a leading problem, but it all hinges on the proper bullet size and right powder. For instance, if I’m loading light 357, 44, or 45 loads I tend to use “cooler” burning powders like American Select or Trail Boss instead of Titegroup. You can find loads listed for Tiregroup, but hotter burning and more likely to lead. My heavy loads get H110. You can run the same weight hard cast faster than a jacketed bullet too. Those cast LBT’s and LFN’s hit hard in pistol calibers.