• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns .44 Mag - S&W or Ruger

RiverRatMatt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2012
Boise, ID
I've been considering replacing my Glock 20 with a large bore revolver. In fact, I have mostly shifted to revolvers in general. My primary CCW gun is an S&W 642 Centennial, and I have a Colt .22 revolver for practices.

The primary reason i have the G20 is as an open carry gun, mostly for hunting and hiking in the woods, however I'm thinking a .44 Mag would do the job better and with better accuracy (not to mention continuity of training etc, though I do have a G19 with Tactical Solutions .22 conversion for practice).

Anyway, I handled both S&W and Rugers a while ago and the Rugers seemed unnecessarily heavy compared to the S&W, but I feel like S&W's QC may have slipped over the years (my 642 is tight and accurate but i have a feeling it was made with 60 year old, top quality dies).

So what do you guys think? Experiences with either?

You cannot shoot full tilt hot loads from buffalo bore through a smith they will not handle it and their are warning labels on the ammo. Rugers may be a little heavier but they are like a tank and shoot really well I've had both Ruger hands down

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Really depends on how you'd use it most. Smith is more refined, sports car like-Ruger more like turbo diesel pickup. Both can get you there, depends on how you like to drive. Have both, like both-for different reasons. Smith better trigger and if chamber throats nice and even at about .4295-.430, will shoot. Redhawk takes a bit of tuning throats and forcing cone and action, but can shoot equally well.
To be honest, a 240-260gr cast bullet at 1000fps will shoot through both sides of most things four legged, is much easier on you and gun and likely to allow you to deliver on target without going to blast and recoil of 13-1400 fps loads. Try to find a DX629 if you can-they were factory selected as accurate at 50yds and mine is solid at that range.

I have a 629 NO DASH. As stated, they do not like extreme high power loads, but they are very well made revolvers. I have the target model. The trigger is factory and is very crisp and light. The No Dash model is the only 629 that has a pinned barrel and recessed cylinders. For the blued model you would want to look at the 29-2 or earlier. They also are pinned and recessed. Also, the 29-3's started a new bluing process that is just not as pretty as the 29-2's and before.

This is the thread that convinced me to buy an older smith when I was looking at 44's. Fluffy is a connoisseur when it comes to guns. I would love to pick through his safe.

Best era of Smith and Wesson Model 29/629

I also have a 329PD (airlite 44 mag) and it will shoot well also. It seems to handle heavier loads a little better. It is not as refined as the 629, but still gets the job done. It does kick like a mule though.

My 6" 629 no dash

Last edited:
I have the S&W backpacker for the exact use you described and cannot be happier with it. the recoil is surprisingly manageable. I would look there. Ruger also makes the Alaskan but that is an all steel gun. Its a beast but is very nice.

love me some Colt wheel guns

My yakuza colt will stay forever:)
Screenshot_2013-08-13-23-16-02-1_zps473faf6b.png

I own and like the Smith's better, havn't tried any Colt's. I did the same, swapped my Glock 20 out for a revolver. Mainly because mine was unreliable. If you enjoy running hot loads, the Ruger might be better/tougher for that. But I personally like the dash 4 No-Lock Smith's best,,,

i'm unreasonably partial about old S&Ws, therefore if I should limit myself to ONE revolver only , it would be my 8,3/8" 29-2_
the only other choice, if heavy loads REALLY are needed , would be Casull in .44mag, if money isn't an issue_

Ruger Bisley 44 mag. Built like a tank, superbly accurate, not as heavy as a Redhawk.
Unless you can find a early production, cut the 7.5" down to 5.5" - 6"

I shot out a Smith. After a hundred or so rounds of the heavy bullet stuff, it was loose. Sent it back to S&W for rebuild but it was never as accurate thereafter. I went with a Redhawk. I tried out 3 to find one acceptably accurate, however. I still carry a .45 LC Blackhawk hunting, but I'm not concerned about fast reloads against deer. If you are going to shoot a lot with the piece, the Redhawk is much easier to reload than the single action. JMHO

r

Or buy the convertible 45 Colt Bisley with a spare 45acp cylinder. Super accurate, able to go heavy cast in 45 Colt or 45acp target loads. Mine shoots both to same point of aim, and as said, easy to carry. And available with 5.5" barrel.

The Ruger is always going to be more a more robust revolver, whether you go with a Super Blackhawk (single action) or a Redhawk (double action). The only new option in a double action Ruger is the Super Red Hawk which is a little big, but the Alaskan is nice. If I went with the Alaskan I'd go with the .454 model which would give you the extra umph if you ever needed it and you can shoot 45 Long Colt as well.

A Smith is nice but a steady diet of full power loads will not last as long as the Ruger.

The Lipsey's Super Blackhawk Bisley's nice...
0818.jpg

Last edited:
I have owned the S&W 629, Dan Wesson in 44 mag.,and Ruger SuperBlack hawk. Sold the 629 and Dan Wesson.

The Ruger has a 4-5/8 barrel and is punishing to shoot with 300 g. Hornady, however it is my favorite. I had the barrel twist just a bit from the recoil,sent the gun to the Ruger factory and they went thru it front to back, replacing springs and such.

The other 44 I'd get is a Ruger Alaskan,or Cassule in 454

You can also shoot 44 special out of a 44 magnum gun and save some recoil abuse.

I have a Marlin 1895 rifle that shoots 44 magnum as well. Combined, the rifle and handgun are my bear hunting rig.

Thanks for the info, guys! A few things I'll comment on:

I will likely be shooting .44 Spl out of it more than anything else, but I do like the extra durability of the Ruger platform. That said, I'm not going to be pushing the load limits of .44 mag, and if a Smith is more accurate, that's a pretty big deal.

I dig the Blackhawks, but i want double action.

I'll probably go with something with a 6" to 8" barrel.

Any other guns to look at in .44 mag?

Not looked upon as highly as the Rugers,Smiths but the Taurus pistols are pretty good in my opinion. I have a taurus tracker in .357 and it shoots well and is a pretty solid piece.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the info, guys! A few things I'll comment on:

I will likely be shooting .44 Spl out of it more than anything else, but I do like the extra durability of the Ruger platform. That said, I'm not going to be pushing the load limits of .44 mag, and if a Smith is more accurate, that's a pretty big deal.

I dig the Blackhawks, but i want double action.

I'll probably go with something with a 6" to 8" barrel.

Any other guns to look at in .44 mag?
Colt anaconda? I agree taurus is a pretty good piece

I'll keep my Redhawk any day over a S&W. Smoother action, better feel, and it's built like a Sherman tank. It isn't going anywhere.

Another vote for Colt Anaconda. Great pistol, good trigger and more accurate than I am. Not as refined as the Python, but still a nice wheel gun in 44.

I'm a member of the S&W Collectors Association as well as the S&W Historical Society...So my reply is a bit one sided.

But let me give you some M-29/M-629 info first.

M-29-3E , 29-4 This engineering change or "dash number" came on line in 1987 with the 29-3E for Endurance package, and carried over to the -4 and later guns. the Endurance package and later longer bolt notch helped to make those revolvers a bit stronger as well as able to handle heavy loads LONGER before requiring attention.

M-629-2E 1988, E package starts with this dash number. 629-3 E package as well as longer bolt notch in 1989.

These were a bit stronger and longer lived (with full power loads) than their earlier relatives. Yes on the blued guns finish was not as nice. And on the 29-3 and 629-0 forward; no pinned bbl or recessed cylinders.

If you will NOT be using full mag loads 100% of the time a 29/629 would surely fit your requirements. I'd look 29-2 or later or 629/629-1 on.

I've got a 6.5" 29 from 1956 that has had thousands of .44 specials and .44 mag field loads through it and it's still accurate and tight. A steady diet of full power mag loads, especially the ORIGINAL spec loads...WILL shoot them loose. NO denying it. But a diet of reasonable loads will allow for thousands of rds of accurate shooting. I do not require a 245 gr slug at 1350 to kill a gopher or can. I've loaded 245 gr Keith SWC's over 2400 in a mag case at 1100 fps for years. Not quite a full power mag load, short by about 200 fps. I have TWICE shot entirely through mature elk on broadsides. What more do You want?? lol.

If you want nothing but full power loads all the time, then DO take a look at the Rugers or especially take a look at Freedom Arms. The FA's, though expensive, are pieces of art. Built like a watch and amazingly accurate.

If I can offer any help should you decide on S&W Do contact me.

FN in MT

Last edited:
I prefer the smith. Though the Ruger is a quality wheelgun as well.
Give a little thought to what your actually going to use the gun for, mostly for target shooting or carrying on the trail ?
Most people cant handle having a 4 lb pistol with a 8" barrel strapped to their belt for very long.
I carry a S,W 44 mag. 329pd in the woods, it weighs less than 1.5lbs. It is awesome for hiking and hunting, but kicks like a SOB with heavy loads.