• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .44 Magnum Hog Hunting

jmb1911

Dipshiticus
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
NE, AZ
I just picked up a Ruger Redhawk 7.5" stainless (not the SuperRedhawk) on a trade and am excited to take it out on my next outing to see what it can do.

Just FYI, I've had alot of trigger time behind a .44 mag (Smith 6.5" 629-4 Classic Hunter all different loads, from 180s to DoubleTap's 320s) and a respectable amount behind the 460XVR (8 3/8" and a little time with a 2.5" -ouch!- shooting primarily the Hornady LevRev 200gr load), and a tiny bit with a Smith 500 Mag...if anyone wondered about my experience level with the bigger/big bore revolvers (which you probably don't).

Anyhow, anyone had any experience hunting hogs with a .44 mag? I've seen the .44 preform on deer, but being an AZ boy, I myself have have a little experience with hogs, only taken a few with various rifles, but have yet to see or hear of anyone taking a hog with a .44 mag.

What loads to use?

I'd be very interested in pics, stories, and/or construtive advise.

Thanks!

Re: .44 Magnum Hog Hunting

I'd like to see some info as well. I picked up an 8" Dan Wesson recently and have loaded up some 300gr XTPs over 20ish grains of VV N110 (nearly 1400fps) and want to try them out.

I use 240gr RN very hard cast, 12.5gr of Unique with a mag pistol primer and a heavy 0.010-0.015 roll crimp. Runs around 1450 fps from my 9.5" barreled Super Redhawk.

The hard cast doesn't deform very much and just drills through whatever it hits, so for deep penetration on a tough animal like a hog.

For jacketed bullets, 240 or 265 Flex tips are good stuff.

I couldnt tell you the load as it was my dads from many years ago, but when we where down in texas on a pig hunt i was shooting his 8" dan wesson with a lead nose jacketed hollow point. It flipped the one pig i got with it head over heels. Penetrated from behind the rib cage and stopped just under the skin on the off shoulder.

I sure had fun anyways

Nathan

I've taken many pigs with my Marlin lever gun in 44 mag. I use the 240 Hornady XTP. It's running 1760 fps out of my 16" barrel. It is very effective on pigs. I've taken them from 10 yards to 110 yards. I used to night hunt them from my bow stands and drill them at 30 yards and under. When that big bullet hits a pig, you normally hear it hit. It makes a very distinct thump sound. Lots of times they drop or run only a few yards (with good shot placement). I've had a few go 50 yards or so when hit a little back in the lungs. A 44 mag is a great choice for pigs. I would stick to the 200 grain or heavier, and the 240+ grain bullets being the best options.

Hard cast bullets should work well. Stay away from hollow-points or stay away from the pig's shoulder.

yep, 44 works
I load 23g of IMR 4227 under a 255g Kieth HC, chronos between 1160 and 1200 FPS

cleanly takes out pigs
got this one at 60 yards, center shoulder, low, through the heart, ran about 50 yards and piled up.

Bill Wilson snapped the picture
smile.gif

dscf2631u.jpg

Cast bullets are the way to go. Not only are they a little more economical but they just work. I use a 280gr SWC.

280 to 300 grain hard cast bullet. Backed up with around 18.0 grains or slightly less of Alliant 2400 with a heavy(very heavy IMO) crimp. Deadly conbo. Tom.

.44 mag is good to go. Short story. I was hunting behind a friends hog dogs and they bayed up a particularily surly and pissed off 350# boar. He put 12 HP rounds from a .357 mag into that hogs back with no effect from 2' to 5 '. By the time I came up, the hog was still strong and moving quick fighting off the dogs. One shot with my .44 mag using Garrett 330 gr cast betwen the shoulder blades from about 5' dropped him in his tracks. Turns out his .357 mag rounds never penetrated the mantle and were all laying just below the skin. He now only carries a .44 mag when he hog hunts. To this day, he hasn't had a problem dropping his hogs...and he's in the woods most every day.

When I lived in MS I shot a few with a 38SPCL + P with a 158 cast bullet. Right behind the ear from 30ish yrds was all it took. The 44MAG will work great.

I like the 240 SWC's under 8 or so gr of Unique...also like the Alliant 2400 and run it close to max load.

240 keith SWC over 18g SR4759 no reason to push them over 1100 fps just wasting powder on the exit hole. Ive shot plum thru some mighty big ones with a slow hard cast bullet.The JHP wont hardly expand anyways, 45 acp with a 180 cast will go thru one broadside.

I killed one with a 44 Desert Eagle with cheapo factory Winchester ammo. Shot at about 25 yards.

Killed it as dead as my rifle does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I almost forgot to add this in there... where's the pics of the new piece?

laugh.gif
</div></div>

All the replies have been excellent.

Thank you. Please keep them coming.

Here is a pic of the new piece for those who care!
redhawk3.jpg

jmb1911, it takes little effort and $$ to do a really nice action job on those Rugers. I have done several and the results are worth the time and money spent. Wolff makes a spring set for them and the revolver comes apart easily. You can go to one of the Ruger forums and find a thread on how to do it.

david

Just ordered the trigger spring, David.

Thanks for the heads up.

a few people PM'd me inquiring about the gun/optic

It's a Smith and Wesson Performance Center built in 1995, 6.5" barrel. Optic is a Aimpoint Micro T1
since this pic was taken I had a machinist buddy remove the slots on the weaver base directly in front of the T1 for a clean look.

259m.jpg

It looks really sharp.

Any pics of its current config?
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no, but I am going to get a Bowen Rough Country rear sight and an SDM gold dot front and shoot it open sight for a bit
with the aimpoint it's like cheating
smile.gif
</div></div>

No such thing in my book!
wink.gif

Hey jmb,

We've been using 44 mag on hogs for over 30 yrs it works great. Most of our hunting is in thick cover so most shots is fairly close. We favor the 240gr or 300gr Hornady XTP's. Also had very good results with 250gr Black Talons and 240gr Hydra-Shoks as well. But Hornady's are easier and cheaper to get here. We bought alot of Black Talons when they came out so we still got a few left. Hope this helps!

We've used it in levers,semi-auto rifles and handguns and theve all done the job very well. Goodluck on your hunt and very nice pistol BTW
smile.gif

Aloha!

325 grain hard cast gas-checked bullet over 20 grains of Lil'Gun, lit by CCI magnum primers. Averages 1335 fps from my 7 1/2" Super Redhawk and penteration has to be seen to be believed. Accuracy from my gun (which doesn't really like cast bullets) is more than adequate for hunting inside 125 yards.

If you're dead set on jacketed, try the 300 grain XTP over 20 grains of 296. It's a grain above current book loads, but from my Ruger, it's still safe. Cases fall out and primer edges remain rounded. Mic'ing the case in several places reveals less expansion than some factory ammo. It is also the most accurate load I've found for my SR. Velocity is right around 1340 fps.