• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.44 special rifle load

evilcoon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2012
Farmington Hills, MI
I'm a newb so excuse my dumbness

I had a friend bring some of his magnum loads to the range so I can try out some reloads and I was impressed. Now I'd like to load the same 240gr wadcutter in .44 special.

I currently have some winchester 231 powder, so my question is will magnum primers work on both?

I don't think I would use 231 for a magnum load in .44 Special, do some research on Elmer Keith's loading of the .44 Special before you try that!

Magnum primers are completely unnecessary with 231 and could be problematic, but yeah, they will get the fire lit...

I'm a newb so excuse my dumbness

I had a friend bring some of his magnum loads to the range so I can try out some reloads and I was impressed. Now I'd like to load the same 240gr wadcutter in .44 special.

I currently have some winchester 231 powder, so my question is will magnum primers work on both?

According to a Lee manual you can load your .44 mag cases to .44 special velocity with 5.5 to say 6.5 gr. of 231/HP38 and avoid the carbon ring in your chamber. Lee manual states 5.5 to get 800fps. I have done this with WAP and WLPM primers with good results. All the usual loading cautions apply.

I shot thousands of 44 special loads, in my .44 mag pistol. I've used both types of primers, and both cases, with good results. When loading in Special cases, and magnum primers, I'd start on the lower end, and work up [how many times does that need repeating]. If you are shooting a rifle, and it's chambered for 44 Mag, you have a good safety factor. You also don't have to worry about "complete burn", with the longer barrel of a rifle. Either primer will handle that. By my Hornady book, the Special runs at 15,500 PSI, while the Magnum runs at 36,000 PSI Max. Just don't try 44 mag loads in a 44 special case. I goofed, on that, years ago, and still remember the first shot. Luckily, I didn't blow the gun. Which rifle are you using? I have a couple old Ruger semi auto carbines, I'm very fond of, But they're a little persnickety and only function well with full magnum loads. If your shooting a newer Lever gun, you'll be OK with the reduced loads. As mentioned above, you will get a carbon ring with the shorter cases, which could give you trouble when shooting the longer Mag cases. Easy to clean out, though. I used Unique, Bullseye, and Titegroup. Never used 231, so I can't help ya with loads for for that. Good luck.