• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.45 acp upper?

akabaron

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2007
Tempe AZ
I was thinking on buying a .45 upper. I no longer have any ars left but have had many in 223 and 1 in 9mm. The one I am looking at is an Olympic 16 in w/threaded barrel and comes with 3 mags,buffer, bolt etc. Any one have any feedback on reliability of these in .45? I plan on building a lower probly DPMS with a different trigger for it. Will the upper work on any lower or will I need different hammer like the 9mm.

Re: .45 acp upper?

I have an Oly 45 upper on a CNC guns AR45 lower. Only problem I had with mine is the extractor broke. I replaced it and never had any more problems. Standard AR lower parts work. All the special stuff is in the upper. I have an Oly mag if you do buy it and are interested in another mag.

The AR45 lower uses Grease Gun mags.
CNCGUNS

MGI also makes a modular lower that can accept different magwells one of them being a Grease gun mag.
MGI

I was going to suggest the 45 on a cav arms lower. I have a cav lower set aside for a 45 build....and considering it will share mags with the Mac10 I have....I just been distracted with another caliber conversion I am working on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My brother has an Oly 45ACP upper. Very reliable. He loves it. </div></div>

One of my friends has one of these, and if I had more money I'd love it what a blast to shoot!

I don't know how the 9mm's stack up in comparison but just for cost effectiveness I'd prob personally pick one of those up.

My buddy has a Oly in .45 and we have put thousands of rounds through it with no problems. I have mine cut in 10mm and really like it. Super fun gun to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't know how the 9mm's stack up in comparison but just for cost effectiveness I'd prob personally pick one of those up.
</div></div>

I've had good experiences with my Oly in 9 MM. The lower is set up to accept Glock magazines and my only "complaint" is the bolt release linkage. I've never had any problems with it, but it just looks like a potential weak link on an otherwise robust little carbine. When one could get those 100 count boxes of Winchester 115 Gr. FMJ's at Wally World for a good price, I spent more time on this carbine than anything else.

- Fret

P8190003.jpg

I had one years ago. It was a parts gun, not sure who made the upper. It used converted stick mags to fill up the magwell on the AR lower.

It was fun to shoot. Quiet enough to shoot without earplugs. I sold it since I only had the one mag for it.

Cut

I have the Olympic 45 acp upper on the CNCguns lower that uses the M3 grease gun mags. It works fine. Olympic has shown zero interest in selling any parts for their 45acp upper. If something breaks. we are all out of luck. I have not been successful getting them to sell me a part. They will take my order, but I have never gotten any part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03bulletstopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy has a Oly in .45 and we have put thousands of rounds through it with no problems. I have mine cut in 10mm and really like it. Super fun gun to shoot. </div></div>

10mm Auto! Thats a potent carbine! I'm an avid 10mm shooter but only through Glock's. I'd be interested in some details if you could post them.

Well, the deal fell through and he already sold it but after seeing the ar in .45 again (I go through this every year) I may look around. Most problems are they sell the uppers but no one has the magazines and if they do you have to get them converted to fit.