• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.45 Glock Feeding Problem

crystalvue

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Or
Glock model 21 is new. Less than 200 rounds through it. My reloads, once fired assorted brass, 185gr JHP bullets, 8.2gr HS6. Here is the problem. After about 5-12 rounds the slide doesn't close all the way. Upon inspection it appears something; powder particles, carbon, or possibly parts of the jacket are building up in the throat of the chamber. Here is a link of some pictures. http://crystalvue.net/glock/index.html
I scrape it out and can't tell what it is. I have inspected rounds that have didn't feed but they are fine. I have loaded HS6 for years for my 40 and haven’t had this type of problems. Any ideas? Cheers.

Re: .45 Glock Feeding Problem

I would add a little more powder, and see how it functions. 8.2 grains is a pretty light load for a 185 JHP. I would at least take it up to minimum of 8.6. I show 8.6 and 8.7 as the low end in 2 manuals with a 185 bullet.

Switch to Clays, it's a clean powder and shoot very soft in my G21 with 230s.

Look online at Dillon's page for accessories. Get a minimum chamber guage. They are stainless steel and won't rust in your hands like the earlier ones from Midway would. I would about bet you have the die slightly set too far in one direction or the other. When I shoot matches I check EVERY round through the guage.

If you want a clean powder try Vihtuvuri N-340. Using a 230 grain FMJ 6 grains will get 880 fps out of a stock 1911. It shoots a tad faster out of my 21. It's the cleanest burning powder I've ever shot in a 45.

Just the title of this thread is an oxymoron. G21 and feeding problem in the same sentence? Looks like not enough taper crimp and you're getting some brass and possible copper plating in the front of the chamber. 45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth, but they still need to be taper crimped to .468 to .469. Some brands of plated bullets don't work the best in Glocks, but most of the problems I have seen have been with the G35's (.40 S&W) keyholing, not the 21's. What is your load chronoing at? If it's light (and the gun is new) it might be short stroking just a touch. This is a service grade pistol (generous chamber, heavy slide, spring rate, etc.) and is designed to run full power ammo. Federal GMM 185gr. SWC won't even cycle my 21 that's well broken in. I have an absolute killer G21 load using the Hornady 185 XTP if you are interested.

Thanks for the input. I am going to try loading a hotter round and taper the crimp more and see what happens. Then I'll try a new powder but I have 8lbs of HS6. Thanks again.

tnichols,
i thought the same thing. my 21 has eaten everything ive fed it from 185's to 240's in lead, half jacket, hp's and fmjs' except for a couple bad primers its fed and fired everything.i dont have any buildup like that in my chamber but then again i use 7.0grs of unique with 230g hp or fmj's so its not a powderpuff load

With really hot loads, I have to check each round to make sure it freely drops into the chamber and falls out.

In 9mm 158 gr, 8.5 gr Power Pistol will pierce the primer if the case is bulging and hard to get in. If the loaded cartridge is slightly resized with an over size sizing die, like a Lee factory crimp orifice ring, the round will drop in, and will not pierce the primer with 11 gr.

When you resize loaded ammo, you don't want to go too far. Lead does not stretch as much as brass, and you don't want the bullet falling out.

What does it all mean?
1) You can't expect it to feed into the chamber if it doesn't fit into the chamber.

Great scott! Are you loading for Major 9? I didn't think you could get 8.5 to 11 grains of Power Pistol in a 9 WITHOUT a bullet. That has got to be compressed big time and then some.

I do double compression with a pin gauge in a collet bullet puller die.

If a bullet is used to compress powder that hard, the bullet squishes into a fat shape.

Update. I first tried crimping the round more. I used the specs recommended by tnichols above. went out to the range today and ran 200 without a single problem. I just didn't put enough crimp on them. Thanks for all the help. I love learning. Cheers.

I'm glad it helped. Now, it ran 200 rounds with no problems, let's see if it will run 2,000 rounds without a hitch. One of the great things about a Glock is they are unfailingly reliable, almost to the point of boring. I always tell people to try and wear one out....I have tried, couldn't get it done.

tnichols, I agree. This is my third Glock. I'm sure it will run 20k rounds and still be a tank. I'm just glad it ran 200 yest. Before I found the problem it wouldn't run 10 witout jamming.