• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .45 Suppressor

KACstealth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2011
The north pole
I know its prolly been asked 100 times, but what 45 can would you get to use on all your pistol hosts?
I wanna buy once cry once, so price is not really that important as quality would be

also seeing as i have no pistol suppressors, ultimatly are they worth the cost?
I am thinking of investing in an USP 45 tac to go suppressed/ or just get a threaded barrel for my 1911s

Re: .45 Suppressor

osprey 45 is pretty badass, It allows many hosts and has badass customer service to boot.

I'd recommend the AAC Ti-RANT .45.
It's at ear rating on a 9mm host is actually lower than the 9mm version according to silencerforum.com, due to less back pressure.

I have an m4 2000 in route so i may stick with AAC, i also have gemtech too.

I just wish i could try it first, I will research the TIRANT, thanks bud

I am in the same boat and from my research thus far, the AAC Ti-Rant seems like the front runner. Although with my limited experience shooting suppressed pistols (couple hundred rounds), nothing has blown my skirt up yet but I have also not had a chance to run the Ti-Rant at this point. I have a Sparrow that I am still waiting to clear but I have been able to use it extensively on quite a few hosts and I love it. But I still cant make myself like the looks of the Osprey.

would a Glock be a good 45 host? i do not own any glocks, but i was just talking to a buddy about them as a potential host? they are cheap and reliable/ how about readiness of threaded barrels?

Glock would be a fine host. Glock makes factory barrels now, plus there are other companies that do as well like: Storm Lake and Lone Wolf.

sweet/ yea i am thinking about making the glock the primary host, it is hard to justify a 1200 usp that does the same thing as the glock for half the price

Be aware of the thread specs, I believe HKs are threaded metric. When I finally got a chance to try out my osprey 45 while attending a class with my dealer, it came with the default piston w/metric threads, which did not work with an fnp 45 tac nor an m&p 45 w/storm lake barrel.

I wish I could give you results of an objective test I did to choose a 45 can, but in the end I decided the eccentric design of the osprey was something I really wanted.

I run an HK45 with the Ti-Rant. It is flat amazing. Accuracy has been , better than I shoot. Its also very quiet. I would pony up for an HK if you have the $$. I know they are pricey but the gun is made to be run suppressed and I think that matters.

I prefer the look of the Osprey, and all of the metering results show it +/- 2 dB of the Tirant. The deciding factor for me choosing the Tirant was that it is user servicable.

pappa sniper! sweet thanks, ultimatly that is my goal. I may just buy the can now and when it comes in i will have the cash for the USP
do you mind posting a pic? i think it is the coolest handgun setup

The Osprey has a high FRP in some tests, which the Ti-RANT doesn't seem to have.
That, and that it can be indexed to find the least POI drift, would be the deciding factors for me.

I would suggest you look at the HTG Cycle-3 45.

It has a titanium tube and titanium and aluminum internals, can be indexed, and is within 2 dB of the Ti-Rant and Osprey.

It is a very light, quiet, and durable handgun/subgun suppressor.

Osprey.
(When do the tough questions start??)

DSC_0038.jpg

Leftside.jpg

TiRant. Wildly simple to service, light, quiet, and takes away a ahit ton of recoil. It's the one dude. Buy once cry once.

(in the same boat)
Of the 2 mentioned

The Silencerco Osprey .45
And
The AAC Ti Rant .45

Price: the AAC is slightly cheaper
Weight: the AAC is lighter
Wet / Dry fire: both
Calibers covered: the Osprey includes the 300 blackout
Serviceable: the AAC
Suppression on all calibers: im told the aac does better on sub calibers

QUESTIONS:
durability / rapid fire: im told Ti raises concern on ammo dumping, but i figure that would only really affect higher capacity mags (30+}. So a 9-14rnd mag shooting 3 mags rapidly, will Ti hold up? Is Ti better for faster cooling. (concerns with burning myself)

Sight picture: Does the ospreys shape offer a better sight picture for non raised sights. Are either able to get a full or decent sight picture on a standard full size glock (without raising the sights)

Cost for pistons: which has a better cost when using on multiple hosts and thread pitches. Do both offer standard and metric.

Locking barrel: will both work on a fixed and unlocking barrel

Thanks for any help

Over all (Average) the Osprey is quieter.

Also the rear section of the Osprey is the section In the event with the serial number. In the event of something bad happening to your tube the entire front section is easily replaced.

If something happens to your Tirant tube you need a new can or another tax stamp to replace it.

Both are top shelf cans and it comes down to personal choice.
Not a bad pick between the two.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C5-5n6-lKHg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C5-5n6-lKHg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

As a side note I doubt you will find ANY better service as provided by Silencerco. I purchased an early build can with a 9mm and .45 piston. Silencerco later made a change to the .45 pistons. The added clearance for the thread for the FNP pistol barrel threads. My original one was NOT made with this improvement.

I called Silencerco and they sent me a new one free of charge with next day delivery. It does not get any better than that.

AAC has been pretty bad for delivery of product in the past.
Silencerco is definitely customer service based and puts emphasis on the civilian market.

Sub calibers through Osprey...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0cMuEpVOuQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0cMuEpVOuQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Get the SMALLEST, LIGHTEST suppressor you can that when shot WET gives you competitive accuracy and suppression and durability.

Buy the can with the best tuneable Neilson that wears the LEAST on all your host. A can that can swap the Neilson for a static mount is really a plus.

No well designed centerfire can needs to come apart. All centerfire cans (wet or dry) shoot quietest when filthy and wet.

If you can avoid needing to "time" your can to every host, do it.

IMO, in a well constructed pistol can - aluminum bad, titanium good for all pistol calibers in semi mode and with all firing schedules.

A well designed wet can performance kicks the crap out of all well designed dry can performance in semi mode. If a video starts to rattle off about dry performance when one of the competitor's cans in that video will turn in reliable 120's wet, and the guy on video is averaging 130's and thinks it important....you can ask yourself "why am I watching this video?" In short, buy your can based on how quiet it can get.

If your goal is to sit at the range and bang away dry all day get a can with HUGE volume.

You can also ask this question "why would a company bother making a dedicated 9mm suppressor for their very own 9mm hosts if their .45 can on a 9mm host did BETTER?" They wouldn't, and if they did it would mean their 9mm design just plain sucks, it would mean the whole design DEPENDED ON VOLUME. Any suppressor that is designed properly for a particular round will always do better than an overbore can. If not more people would be walking around trying to find a way to carry a can the size of a canoe.

Two of the cans mentioned use fully fashoined baffels, one uses a monocore. Know what that means and why it matters.

Do everything you can to hear your perspective can BEFORE you buy it. Good luck.

Rollingthunder and cal50,
Since yall seem to be pretty knollegeable , can either of you answer my questions listed above

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(in the same boat)

QUESTIONS:
durability / rapid fire: im told Ti raises concern on ammo dumping, but i figure that would only really affect higher capacity mags (30+}. So a 9-14rnd mag shooting 3 mags rapidly, will Ti hold up? Is Ti better for faster cooling. (concerns with burning myself)

<span style="color: #FF0000">[/color]
If rapid fire is big consideration look for a can with a full auto rating. Most of these will likely be heavier with a blast baffle of stainless steel or titanium, inconel or similar high heat alloy.
[color:#000000]</span>

Sight picture: Does the ospreys shape offer a better sight picture for non raised sights. Are either able to get a full or decent sight picture on a standard full size glock (without raising the sights)

The Osprey has very good sight clearance. Glock's have some of the lowest sights and the Osprey takes up some of the sight picture but is still functional.

Cost for pistons: which has a better cost when using on multiple hosts and thread pitches. Do both offer standard and metric.

Retail pricing is about the same. Silencerco would make you anything you need. AAC is really bad for catalog items let alone custom requests.

Locking barrel: will both work on a fixed and unlocking barrel

[color:#990000][/color]

Yes with a fixed barrel spacer.
Thanks for any help </div></div>

I shoot my cans dry 99% of the time. A few CC's of wire pull gel eliminates the 1st round pop and runs quieter. Some cans are designed to run wet to get their DB reduction numbers. Smaller cans that need to run wet sound like crap dry. Dry cans running wet sound better but are generally larger in design.

I have an Osprey and a new AWC Ti Triad. I have not shot the Triad enough to say which one I would give up if I had to give one up. I do like the fact that the Triad is pretty small. I need to compare them side by side again. Good luck on your choice. PG

apparently I'm living in the ghetto with mine....I shot a friends AAC and Gemtech Blackside and liked the Gemtech best. That's what I bought. It comes with removable threaded inserts that I can swap between pistols. So it's for my MK23 and my 1911's...and if I ever get a sig or glock, I can just buy that insert as well.

I shot my AWC Ti Triad a lot today along with the Osprey both on a H&K USP. I think the sound is the same but the AWC is smaller and a wet can we filled with lithium grease so not a fair comparison. I am having some new problem with the Osprey in that all of the sudden its shooting a foot left I need to figure it out. I did really enjoy shooting it more with the smaller can but maybe it stood out more since its new and I waited so freaking long for it. Good luck PG

45 Osprey from Silencerco... interchangable piston kits and you can shoot any caliber 45 and smaller through it. Extremely light and performance is stellar you cannot go wrong with silencerco!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KACstealth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know its prolly been asked 100 times, but what 45 can would you get to use on all your pistol hosts?
I wanna buy once cry once, so price is not really that important as quality would be

also seeing as i have no pistol suppressors, ultimatly are they worth the cost?
I am thinking of investing in an USP 45 tac to go suppressed/ or just get a threaded barrel for my 1911s </div></div>

In my opinion, the AAC TI-RANT 45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inzaneriderz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">45 Osprey from Silencerco... interchangable piston kits and you can shoot any caliber 45 and smaller through it. Extremely light and performance is stellar you cannot go wrong with silencerco! </div></div>

Guns0005.jpg

I support that 100%

Here is my osprey on my 1911, tell me thats not badass??

Plus it is actually very quiet. I also use the osprey to shoot subsonic 300 blackout

For the originally stated purpose, it is pretty hard to beat the Osprey or a Ti-rant in .45. Both have the changeable pistons for subcaliber or thread pitch, and in the original caliber (.45) provide excellent suppression results compared to others.

Love the osprey, great can, super quiet, the silouette is great with a 1911, add the pistions you can change out for cal's. Hands down best .45 can out there.

Osprey 45 mounted to Glock 35. I can also mount it on my Sig 226 9mm and .40. Still waiting to buy a threaded barrel for Springfield Armory 1911. One word, versatility.

7143969535_6350b528c5_b.jpg

I too went with the Osprey 45. I couldn't be happier with the choice, and I'm actually buying more hosts because it's so damn fun to shoot. I'm going to need an intervention soon...

I went with the TiRant. So I cant speak for the Osprey. I love the TiRant and it fit what I wanted for my gun. Make the decision based on your wants. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

IMG_2296-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JP8900</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with the TiRant. So I cant speak for the Osprey. I love the TiRant and it fit what I wanted for my gun. Make the decision based on your wants. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

IMG_2296-1.jpg
</div></div>

awe man, the TiRant looks sweet. I am getting one to put on my 38 special lever action. How is the weight on a pistol?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuaSponte175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, it is. I have an AAC Ti-Rant 45 and I love it man. Plus the new models are take apart. </div></div>

+1

45Osprey.jpg

This is my rig, this is my Osprey that I cannot take home for around 6 months but I was able to run 4 or 5 mags through it today and now I hate my SOT for letting me play.

I have no input on handgun suppressors other than this one. It would be really tough to expect a suppressor to be much better than this I would think.

Love the tirant, I have nearly 2500 rounds through it and have enjoyed every one of them without ear protection... even inside the range