• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 45 vs 9mm can interchangeability.

Alderleet

NCOIC of Shitposts
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Downrange
I am looking at picking up a silencer for a handgun. I've always wanted a center fire handgun that was suppressed. Now that i *can* buy one, and I have the funds, I want to.

The problem i'm running into is that i cant decide which caliber is best for suppression, *AND* interchangeability.

I'd like to be able to use the suppressor on multiple platforms. I've heard you can use a 45 can, to suppress a 9mm. I know it doesnt work that great, but i've heard it works quite good.

Later down the road i'm going to chamber my 223 into 300 Whisper, which i'd also like to suppress.

So would it be more intelligent to buy a 45 can, or just settle for a 9mm can?

Re: 45 vs 9mm can interchangeability.

For interchangability go with the .45 Osprey from Silencerco. You can use that can on a .45, .40 and 9mm with great results.

If you just have 9mm guns then go with a 9mm can.

Re: 45 vs 9mm can interchangeability.

The rounds are too dis-similar. A .45 can will not work well with a 9mm. Improvement? Yes, anywhere near a dedicated 9mm can? Not even close.