• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.450 bushmaster

eli polite

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
delaware
So this question is slightly different than reloading standard .450 bushmaster.

Has any one made an effort to load a 450 bushmaster with a projectile from a 45/70 like a 450 or a 500gn projectile?

i have all the standard load info for the .450 I load 300gn rounds. Are there any safe suggestions on trying to load a heavier projectile and how to safely work up the load.

Are you planning to swage them down to 451-452?

I haven't messed with anything heavier than 300. 1900ish out of an 18" rifle with a 300gr bullet is plenty for me.

Unless going to all lead, I wouldn't mess with swaging. 458s. They are typically constructed heavier and need more gun to expand.

Are you planning to swage them down to 451-452?

I haven't messed with anything heavier than 300. 1900ish out of an 18" rifle with a 300gr bullet is plenty for me.

Unless going to all lead, I wouldn't mess with swaging. 458s. They are typically constructed heavier and need more gun to expand.
It wad just a thought and wondering if it’s even worth trying. I figured I would consult the experts.

It wad just a thought and wondering if it’s even worth trying. I figured I would consult the experts.
I know some guys swage with lighter pills. I just don't see the reason because those bullets are usually built for a higher velocity than the bushy will produce. One of those weird deals where the bushy uses what are typically pistol bullets...some pistol bullets are too fragile. While some 458 rifle bullets may be too tough.

There is a 450 bushmaster forum. Seems somewhat slow now...but there seems to be some guys that have done a lot of testing and figuring things out. I do a lot of digging there as I learn to load for my little rifle.

If you didn't care about expansion, it could be worthwhile.

Reactions: kyzim311
Ive done it quite a bit with cast bullets and have had good experience with it. Jacketed bullets can be sized down, but lube and definitely do it in at least 2 stages. Cast works much better here... more consistent for me, but jacketed can be OK.

Assuming your wanting a big fat sub, hard to find in .452... and if the jacketed bulletd dont tickle your fancy, so you gotta do it yourself.

I have a .457 mold that throws about that, 530g or so. I size them to .454 while they are still warm, bit of lube too. No issues. I have sizediscovered in 2 steps, ie 456 then 454, maybe a slight increase in consistency on target, but not worth it with that bullet. Others may benefit more.

If you decide to roll cast, youll need noe neck tools, otherwise the necks will smoosh down your nice fat bullet and make it suck. No good. Their neck expander is excellent, and pretty much required for legit cast work when you run a fat bullet. Dunno how I got by before it. Lyman m dies may work too, but i find them to be undersized for what i usually have work the best and cleanest in most cases.

AR may be finicky with bullet shape... i shoot it out of a bolt, so much more forgiving and no need to run action.

As far as powder, depending on bullet weight tin star or trail boss may work and be very quiet if you dont mind hand cycling the action. Otherwise the link posted above looks to have some great info for ya!

I wonder how cfe blk would do? It runs actions like a motherfucker lol

For the kinky stuff like this, quickload is your friend : ).