• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors .458 socom suppressed

N2thermals

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2017
Has anyone on here built or heard a .458 integral suppressed rifle? If so, how quite is it?

Probably pretty rare. I run a silencerco hybrid on mine and it sounds great.

I guess it is rare. I'm having one built but I'm sure it will be 6-7 more months before I get it back.

Those are all really good bullets. I have a Remington 700 with a Douglas 16"barrel 1-10 twist and it really likes the Makers 500gr. Hollow points in a subsonic load.

Those are all really good bullets. I have a Remington 700 with a Douglas 16"barrel 1-10 twist and it really likes the Makers 500gr. Hollow points in a subsonic load.

Never tried those. Where do buy them?

Ive got a 10.5" tromix AR build and a 16" bolt gun built off a savage action. It's 1:14 twist and seems to shoot everything fairly well.

Just ordered some and waiting for production.

My experience with subsonic 300BLK with hogs here in TX was that it just punched a hole and did little damage unless shot placement was perfect. 50% of the time, the hogs ran off but the ones that didn't had very small exit holes and I often hit them a time or two to be sure the didn't get up and run off.

On the other hand, supersonic .458 has shown some serious devastation. Very forgiving round and have never had one run off I hit.

I have seen posts and videos of subsonic 458 SOCOM with similar complaints but they always seem to be using a bullet that does not expand at subsonic velocities. Wanted to try the 500g expanding hollow point Outlaw State bullets that are designed to expand a handgun bullets velocities so I didn't have the same subsonic hunting experience as the blackout.

I have tried the Lehigh defense 700 grain bullets. They look mean. But in reality they do not expand. It's like shooting a big ass FMJ. But the Makers are extremely good. They hit and expand perfect every time.

I have tried the Lehigh defense 700 grain bullets. They look mean. But in reality they do not expand. It's like shooting a big ass FMJ. But the Makers are extremely good. They hit and expand perfect every time.

The Makers 500g sounds very similar to the Outlaw bullets I am looking at

The Makers 500 gr is 100% copper though. The petals' expansion is ridiculous. The Outlaw State bullets are all very good as well. They seem to penetrate a bit better but expand to about half the diameter of the Makers. Maybe that's a result of the jacketed lead core design of Outlaw's stuff. I've been gravitating towards the Makers for 458 suppressed subs for a while now.

I will stand behind Makers bullets. I have tested them and they are mean as hell. Exit wounds are nasty.

I will stand behind Makers bullets. I have tested them and they are mean as hell. Exit wounds are nasty.

Thanks. Just ordered 5 boxes of 20 and am excited to give them a go. Should have my Bowers 458 can approved in the next week or two as well.

Any good load data on the 500g? I have only loaded supersonic so far.

19.9 grains of h110 with 500 grain maker. You will be shooting about 1020fps. With a 16" barrel.

Which you know every set up is a little different. But that will definitely get you close. You can get your chrono out and tweak it to perfection.

Has anyone tried the Lehigh Defense 570gr controlled fracturing bullet? I was planning on using these for a suppressed bolt action for hunting but haven't been able to find load data on them to determine which cartridge to use.

Liberty just started making a new .458 can. I've never used their rifle cans, but I use their .22 cans exclusively (the new Regulator may be the best .22 can ever built to date, seriously). I have the all titanium Essence too, nice, but that Regulator kicks it's ass and is only a an ounce or so more and way simpler to clean. I have their Pinnacle 2 10-22 integral barrel, considering having it modified to a take down, but haven't done anything with it. A 4.5"bbl. and 11.5" suppressor built into a solid Green Mountain barrel should be awesome. I also have their Mystic X, my only modular can and it's quiet but I only use for 9mm; should have just bought a good dedicated 9mm can. I do have the Omega 9k and it's just great.

So I called them about having it modified to a .50 Beowulf but they couldn't do it. The numbers don't show suppression of these rounds to be too great, but never heard them in person. The Beowulf has tremendous power, but it has a serious limited range on the order of 100-200m maximum, depending on load. In the end, I decided not to spend the money to suppress the Beowulf. They make 'em, but they are costly. Forget who actually makes them though. It adds length and it'll still be loud, so I'll probably just put a brake on it some day (I got this thing prior to 2004).

Not sure if the .458 has the same power or the same problems with short range, but I can't see it being worth suppressing. I'd buy cans for other rifles instead.

I use a silencerco radius rangefinder and a Leupold Mark 4 with m3 turret. And with this set up I'm good out to 225 yards. It is pretty quite and it stomps hogs to the ground on impact. I'm really happy with the performance. But I have never used the Beowulf so I have no feedback on it.

Liberty just started making a new .458 can. I've never used their rifle cans, but I use their .22 cans exclusively (the new Regulator may be the best .22 can ever built to date, seriously). I have the all titanium Essence too, nice, but that Regulator kicks it's ass and is only a an ounce or so more and way simpler to clean. I have their Pinnacle 2 10-22 integral barrel, considering having it modified to a take down, but haven't done anything with it. A 4.5"bbl. and 11.5" suppressor built into a solid Green Mountain barrel should be awesome. I also have their Mystic X, my only modular can and it's quiet but I only use for 9mm; should have just bought a good dedicated 9mm can. I do have the Omega 9k and it's just great.

So I called them about having it modified to a .50 Beowulf but they couldn't do it. The numbers don't show suppression of these rounds to be too great, but never heard them in person. The Beowulf has tremendous power, but it has a serious limited range on the order of 100-200m maximum, depending on load. In the end, I decided not to spend the money to suppress the Beowulf. They make 'em, but they are costly. Forget who actually makes them though. It adds length and it'll still be loud, so I'll probably just put a brake on it some day (I got this thing prior to 2004).

Not sure if the .458 has the same power or the same problems with short range, but I can't see it being worth suppressing. I'd buy cans for other rifles instead.

I don't expect it to be much quieter supersonic but hoping it does make a difference subsonic.