• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.458 SOCOM upper on AR-10B lower?

Quicksilver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
College Station, TX
Does anyone know if you could purchase a Armalite AR-10 Upper and re-barrel for the .458 socom?

The rim diameter on the 458 is the same as the .308, so I assume the bolt carrier would be the same as the standard AR-10 right?

Im trying to figure out the best way to build a socom upper for my existing AR-10 setup so that I could just switch uppers and magazines and go.

So pretty much better off just buying a standard AR-15 lower and .458 upper.

I think either way, 2000 dollars is gonna get spent. Just really liked the idea of using the AR-10 platform rather than the 15. Damn things feel like toy guns to me.

Negative.

.458 SOCOM will NOT work with the AR-10 (or other large-frame based ARs). It was specifically designed/built around the AR-15 platform and AR-15 mags.

If you want a "THUMPER" for an AR-10/LR-308 based lower...have a look at something along the lines of the 450 Marlin whichwill give you .45-70 +P performance in a gasser, pushing the 300-325gr class pills (Nosler Partition, Barnes FP, etc.) at ~2200fps+ and the 400gr fodder at ~2000fps (depending on loads/bbl length/etc. of course). Or even the .338 Federal for that matter.